Pillar Question using 6228

How is the best way to cut a pillar to check the inside for air pockets? I had to remelt a couple pillars since I used the wrong wicks and didn't have wick pins at the time they were made. Since my wick pins arrived I was able to use them after re-melting. (Love them by the way!!) So I unmolded them this morning and went to slide my wick in but it seemed have gotten lost inside the pillar. Both of them were like this. If I threaded the wick in from one end they got lost but sliding it in from the other end they went in fine. I poked relief holes continually as they were cooling but now am wondering if they are air pockets hidden away. Any suggestions?

if you have access to either a table saw or band saw, you can cut it that way. You can also use a handsaw if you can get it stable enuff to cut.. just a few ideas

Sheesh - I do not have access to any power tools, darn :undecided The only thing I can think that might work would be my electric knife.

Edit: Anyone else with any ideas?

Yep, by golly I had an air pocket :( I used my electric knife to slowly make a vertical cut thru one of the pillars. There was a heart shaped air pocket - kinda cool - but still requires another rework. Tossed them both back into my pot :undecided

So now I need to know - how many times can you rework pillars? This is the third time melting this wax to get these dang thangs right.

I use the same wax for my pillars, but I am still learning, and I only make the 3 x 3 pillars. So far, I have not had any major air holes. (knock wood). What temp are you pouring them? And as far as I know, you can remelt them several times....

I am making 3x3's also and pour around 175* - 180*. These are the first ones that I have had the problem with and realistically I probably wouldn't have caught it if my wicks would not have been sliding in correctly. The only thing I have changed was using the wick pins, before I was wicking before the pour securing with a screw. Good thing to know that I can remelt multiple times. Hopefully I get it right this time. Waiting on more pillars to cool :waiting:

make sure when you're poking relief holes that you are really opening up the holes, not just jabbing something in there that makes a small hole. Secondly, if you're poking and poking and poking, are you even poking around the wick/wick pin?

Yep - poking 4 holes around the wick pin and I thought I was keeping them open good, but maybe not. I have been stir crazy busy - 'Tis the season :wink2: Would a cooler atmosphere possibly cause this? My basement is slightly cooler than normal . . .

I am making 3x3's also and pour around 175* - 180*. These are the first ones that I have had the problem with and realistically I probably wouldn't have caught it if my wicks would not have been sliding in correctly. The only thing I have changed was using the wick pins, before I was wicking before the pour securing with a screw. Good thing to know that I can remelt multiple times. Hopefully I get it right this time. Waiting on more pillars to cool :waiting:

I pour around 180-185... it may have something to do with the wick pins. I still use the screw and sealer set up... let me know how it turns out... :)

Hi

I also recently started making 3 x 3's and the EXACT same thing happened with me!!! I had a less elegant solution - I wacked it in half with an axe... but since then I have been making relief holes like crazy, not only right next to the wick but also a bit further out towards the rim. I go back every 30 min to make sure that they are still open, becuase sometimes they close a bit at the top, specially when the wax is still soft. They end up looking like tunnels, but once the repour is done, who cares anyway? Since I have been taking more note the air "caves" have not returned again.

HTH

Katinka:smiley2: