Not sure where to post.. Yankee Candle

Hi all, yesterday I decided to buy a Yankee Candle pillar. I was curious about these candles, so I bought one. Scented Sage and Citrus.

Very good scent, good cold throw, so at home I lit it immediately.

UHMMMMMM hot throw not so strong as I was expecting, but I think maybe I had candle nose..

Then I start to read this board in search of something about Yankee.. :eek:

Extruded candles??? But I thought I saw frost and other tipical rustic things!!! But I can see a line going top to bottom.. ok, they make extruded candles, they have to produce a lot of candles, it can't be done by hand..

I go back to my burning pillar.. :eek: wick's not centered!!! The melt pool is not centered!!

:tiptoe: going back reading this board.

Going back to my pillar.

:eek:

Air bubbles in the melting pool!! A lot of holes, while wax is burning air pops up from holes. So why do I have to tap and tap tap and tap my molds to avoid air bubbles???

After 3 burning hours I estingushed the flame and went to bed.

This morning I found mottling in the melt pool.

Well, I'm almost sure I can make a better pillar, the worst thing of all is that I paid for it 14,90 euros (currently $ 17,60).

Note to self: make your own candles

Hi Sabrina! Yankee Candle's pillars are not the greatest. I had never been able to get much scent throw from any of their pillars. Containers and tarts are good as far as scent throw though.

Regarding air bubbles in your melt pool: You probably had some "air pockets" in your pillar. Maybe you didn't keep your relief holes open long enough while it was setting up. If it were just air bubbles, they'd be tiny little bubbly like things or pits on the surface of your candle. Getting mottling in your melt pool after it's set up again is pretty common, at least in some of my candles.

That is exactly why I am still in business.....some people want to buy a "real" candle. They are big because they advertised and told people they were the best and people believed them......people are sheep.....they follow the leader. If you have never burned a good hand poured candle then you have nothing to compare it with. Some people never try anything new.....boring people I would say....LOL Donita

Scented I know I don't speak english very well, so maybe my post wasn't clear.

My goal is not doing candles as Yankee Candle company does, I was trying to say that I've always heard about them, so I thought their candles were marvellous, but after buying and burning one I noticed that are not perfect, they have all the defects we try to avoid. Air bubbles, wick bad centered and so on.

For the first time I saw one of those candles burning and I saw mine are not less good.

And I'm sad I payed that much for a "so and so" candle.

So I will never buy Yankee anymore, that's all.

Sorry maybe you won't understand again, but english is not my language.

I've never bought a Yankee piller, but I bought some tealights the other day. Cedar and Balsam. They smell yummy, but there was 12 in the box and I've lit 6 of them. The wick is wrong in all of them. I've benn digging the wax out and putting it in my melter. It is an incredible fragrance, just sucky tealights.

Hi Donita,

glad you got what I'm saying!!

But the power of a brand name is not defeatable.

You'r right, people sometimes are sheeps, don't know about USA but here in italy if something does not have a big brand name nobody wants it.. almost nobody lol

by the way, now I have three Yankee pillars on my shelf.

70 burning hours x 3= 210 hours, if I burn them night and day maybe in 10 days I can get rid of them!

That is exactly why I am still in business.....some people want to buy a "real" candle. They are big because they advertised and told people they were the best and people believed them......people are sheep.....they follow the leader. If you have never burned a good hand poured candle then you have nothing to compare it with. Some people never try anything new.....boring people I would say....LOL Donita

My brother and SIL was buying Yankme candles, even though I make candles, and they told me by mistake, they did. They wanted me to make a candle with a scent that Y uses. I asked them why I should make them one that was a scent from Y when they were buying them. Their reply was, we were at the mall and went into the store and couldn't resist the scents they had, so we bought some. I then asked why they didn't go back and get more then..their reply..they don't burn good and are very expensive to throw most of it out. LOL I made them their dupe scent, and they haven't bought any more yankme candles.

by the way, now I have three Yankee pillars on my shelf.

70 burning hours x 3= 210 hours, if I burn them night and day maybe in 10 days I can get rid of them!

I laughed out loud when I read this. For candles I want to get rid of, I have been putting them aside and using during power outage.

Last year my daughter got a yankee container candle from her BF and it was a 16 oz. After only 1 1/2 hours there was soot ALL over the jar and the wick was not centered,,I just shook my head because she asked her BF why he did not ask me to do it,,he said " I thought these would be better,,Least to say she sent him home WITH the Yankee candle,,LOL:laugh2:

Scented I know I don't speak english very well, so maybe my post wasn't clear.

My goal is not doing candles as Yankee Candle company does, I was trying to say that I've always heard about them, so I thought their candles were marvellous, but after buying and burning one I noticed that are not perfect, they have all the defects we try to avoid. Air bubbles, wick bad centered and so on.

For the first time I saw one of those candles burning and I saw mine are not less good.

And I'm sad I payed that much for a "so and so" candle.

So I will never buy Yankee anymore, that's all.

Sorry maybe you won't understand again, but english is not my language.

I think your English is excellent. I understood what you meant on your first post, so you shouldn't worry about it one bit. I'm in awe of your ability to speak another language. I've struggled to learn a second language for years, and it's really difficult for me, so I think you are doing great. Thanks for your info on the Yankee pillars too.

Thank you very much.

I have the advantage of being italian in the sense that italian is one of the most difficult language in the world.

English is very simple, there are less rules to know and remember!

It becomes difficult when we try to speak it, because in italian you speak exactly what you read, in english you don't.

Other thing, I've always listened to english and american music, I don't like italian music much, so I started leraning english this way, reading words of song, listening, and translating into italian.

The bad thing is that I have no one to talk to, so when I try to speak word don't come so easy as when I write.

Thanks a lot, and dont buy Yankee!!

I think your English is excellent. I understood what you meant on your first post, so you shouldn't worry about it one bit. I'm in awe of your ability to speak another language. I've struggled to learn a second language for years, and it's really difficult for me, so I think you are doing great. Thanks for your info on the Yankee pillars too.

I dont know about yankee but I was in bath and body works candle shop white barn one day. I was looking at their candles. Girl told me they use only 3% fo in the pillars since most people use them as decoration. She told me this cause I said I couldnt smell anything. WHo the heck wants to pay $8 for a barely scented candle lol. So they may also not put much fo in theirs. She told me 9% in jar candles.

Last year my daughter got a yankee container candle from her BF and it was a 16 oz. After only 1 1/2 hours there was soot ALL over the jar and the wick was not centered,,I just shook my head because she asked her BF why he did not ask me to do it,,he said " I thought these would be better,,Least to say she sent him home WITH the Yankee candle,,LOL:laugh2:

Hahahaha Good Girl!:laugh2:

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you very much.

I have the advantage of being italian in the sense that italian is one of the most difficult language in the world.

English is very simple, there are less rules to know and remember!

It becomes difficult when we try to speak it, because in italian you speak exactly what you read, in english you don't.

Other thing, I've always listened to english and american music, I don't like italian music much, so I started leraning english this way, reading words of song, listening, and translating into italian.

The bad thing is that I have no one to talk to, so when I try to speak word don't come so easy as when I write.

Thanks a lot, and dont buy Yankee!!

My sister has lived in Italy for at least 15 years and loves it there. It is so funny to talk to her now, tho, because she "forgets" the english word for something because now she speaks only italian. I think you do an EXCELLENT job!

and I promise not to buy Yankee...LOL

Jane

My sister got 3 of my candles for her friends for Christmas presents.She said all of them loved them.One friend called her and said she liked it and used it Christmas Day.Then she called a few days later and hinted what the cost was since it was a present to her.She said she went to a exclusive store when it had 40% off a brand name candle(not sure which)and could only afford the candles then.Now she is interested in mine.She said she could not believe how long it burned, the strong scent and that it was clean.She said the expensive candle was the exact opposite.She couldn't smell it, the candle did not burn clean and the candle did not last long.She was amazed at my candles.She never knew there were candles like these.She was buying the high priced ones only when ON SALE.

LynnS

Hi all, yesterday I decided to buy a Yankee Candle pillar. I was curious about these candles, so I bought one. Scented Sage and Citrus.

Very good scent, good cold throw, so at home I lit it immediately.

UHMMMMMM hot throw not so strong as I was expecting, but I think maybe I had candle nose..

Then I start to read this board in search of something about Yankee.. :eek:

Extruded candles??? But I thought I saw frost and other tipical rustic things!!! But I can see a line going top to bottom.. ok, they make extruded candles, they have to produce a lot of candles, it can't be done by hand..

I go back to my burning pillar.. :eek: wick's not centered!!! The melt pool is not centered!!

:tiptoe: going back reading this board.

Going back to my pillar.

:eek:

Air bubbles in the melting pool!! A lot of holes, while wax is burning air pops up from holes. So why do I have to tap and tap tap and tap my molds to avoid air bubbles???

After 3 burning hours I estingushed the flame and went to bed.

This morning I found mottling in the melt pool.

Well, I'm almost sure I can make a better pillar, the worst thing of all is that I paid for it 14,90 euros (currently $ 17,60).

Note to self: make your own candles

Yep that's exactly why we make our own...lol

I've bought candles from many companies over the years, from Pier 1 to Yankee, and have always been very disappointed in how the candles burn. That was the primary reason why I started to make my own. I control the quality and I know exactly what is going into the candle. The only problem I have now is the friends that have become obsessed with my candles!!! Well, the upside is they're great testers, who aren't shy to be honest about what they think!:D