Tart wax help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dbsumner

If you dont mind sharing, what percentage of CBL129 are you adding to the 6098 to make your tarts firm enough? Also, do you use clamshells or molds for your tarts? I ordered some 6098 but for now I am using my 4630/4625. Usually I use a 50/50 blend but tonight I tried them at 75/25 (4630 having the 75%) to see how they would do. They are in the freezer now and they seem to be holding their shape but not sure how they will fare once I stick them in cello bags.

I'm going 50/50 and between 1.0 oz pp or 1.5 oz pp depending on FO

I pour both clamshells and tarts with each scent. Clamshells are coming out clean and tarts either fall out or a quick bang on counter and they are out. We are also in cold weather up here which may or may not make a difference. Otherwise toss individuals in refrig for a bit and they should fall right out.

Edited by jeanie353

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll find the 6098 quite a bit different from the 4630 imo. To me, it is quite a bit denser and heavier with a creamy, opaque appearance. I personally like that look. If you're going to do votives, I am finding they still require a 2nd pour.

Edited by jeanie353
additional info

Have you tested it for HT yet? If so, what's your opinion?

You'll find the 6098 quite a bit different from the 4630 imo. To me, it is quite a bit denser and heavier with a creamy, opaque appearance. I personally like that look. If you're going to do votives, I am finding they still require a 2nd pour.

Have you tested it for HT yet? If so, what's your opinion?

Yes I did....Getting about 3 days out of a tart. However, I haven't counted total hours yet. If I take a nap, I'll turn it off, etc. All in all, I am very pleased.

Thinking about it...I should clarify. I am getting 3 days with good HT. I replace them once they begin to slow down in throwing.

Edited by jeanie353
additional info

No i have never used it in metal containers dont know how it will let go.. it is great for container candles wicks great, great ht and ct not good for tarts though it is to soft and wont pop out of a clam shell

I can't seem to get it wicked right for containers. I can get the right MP but not a flame I'm happy with.

Yeah, to use it as tarts, I did find it has to be blended with a harder wax. For myself, I'll do it without combining sometimes on any container wax I'm playing around with to use up any extra in the pour pot. I do have to freeze them first so they release. They do tend to stick a little in the poly bags but for home use, I'm ok w/that.

I read where this wax is used by some large manufacturers of upscale candle lines. Don't know if its true or not.

I just wanted to chime in here about 4794. I've read that a lot of you have problems with it. Im shocked actually. I've used it, exclusively, for melts , since day one and I have only had three scents, out of literally ( no joke ) 362 that I have tested ( Im an FO ho! ). I truly hate to say this, but could it possibly be the FO's you are using? We all know that not every scent, from every supplier, works in every wax, in every area of the U.S. , ( I'm in Tn )so I was just wondering if that could be the culprit. 95% of the scents I have used, tested, and/or carry, are from CS and BCN and as I said, almost every single one have thrown like crazy, HT and CT in 4794 for me. Granted, I do test in tealight based oil warmers, and yes they do get hotter and hence throw better than an electric warmer. Just thought I'd put that out there. The only problem I have ever had with 94 is this last case I received a month ago, coming in as, and re-solidifying a tad lumpy when no other case I've ever had has done that. ( Im not alone in this and we all got our cases from different suppliers so thinking it was a bad batch that went out everywhere). Scent throw is still phenom, melt is great, it just solidifies a tiny bit lumpy on this run.

Hope this helps some maybe figure out why 4794 isn't working for them. I would never put another company's FOs down, just saying where all of mine come from that seem to work like a charm in that particular wax.

Hope this helps some maybe figure out why 4794 isn't working for them. I would never put another company's FOs down, just saying where all of mine come from that seem to work like a charm in that particular wax.

It has been sometime since I used 4794. I use/used FOs from CC, CS, Peak and a few others. HT & CT was not a problem for me. The problem was the lack of staying power on the tart. I'd get one day throw...two if I was lucky out of them w/that wax.

It is probably like most other waxes in this hobby/business in that what works for one may not for the next. I'm glad it is working for you though.

Had the same problem Jeanie and others mentioned, the HT is good but fizzles out quickly, after a matter of few hours. Had to mix it with another wax to get it to last longer :sad2:

But if it works for you, great!

In my case, I don't think it was due to poor quality oils. I buy my oils mainly from Peak's, NG, Candle Science and Moonworks.

( this is NOT said in a snooty voice just dont know how else to word it :) ) How long are you gals wanting the scent to last? At 1/2 ounce per cube (give or take) I get about 8 to 12 hours out each cube. Using tealights.

With my regular blend I am getting 2-3 days per tart. I test them from tarts not out of the clamshells. I recently tried a new blend using 6098 as the container portion and am getting about the same but don't have the exact hours recorded on that blend yet. I use a plug-in warmer and/or a tea light warmer and don't find a difference between the two of length of time.

I have exchanged tarts/clamshells with another person on this forum. Have burned three of her scents so far, for two Sundays from approximately 12:00 (noon) until 9:30-10:00 pm before they began to fail (per tart/cube/scent). Her combo is not the same as either of mine.

HTH

Edited by jeanie353
additional info

That's great! I guess I should say that when Im referring to HT time, Im referring to that " just lit it and it's gotten hot and about to blow the doors off" level of scent. I can do the burn for a lot longer, and if you walk by it you can still smell it, but I guess I mean the " it continues to fill the entire room if not house with a very very strong scent". LOL One thing I did just find out. I tried a new one ( new to me ) from BCN the other day, and this is no joke.. I lit it, burned it for an hour, HAD to turn it off, and the next day, I walked in the room and got hit in the face with the smell that still lingered. ( Oak Moss from BCN ). It was in my bedroom, it filled the entire house, so I guess I got candle nose, and couldn't smell it after a few hours. But after I left the house the next day and then walked in the bedroom when I got home... BAM ! hehehhe that's the level of scent I like LOL .. it was 1:1 on 4794.

but I guess I mean the " it continues to fill the entire room if not house with a very very strong scent

Sure...That is what I meant as well. When they begin to fail is when they no longer fill the entire area. So then you are pleased with your wax. That is great.

BTW...Welcome to the board.

If a 1/2 oz cube from a clamshell lasts 12 hours, isn't that the same as an individual tart (normally about 1 oz) lasting 2 days?

IwantItgreen....I'm thinking about that....On whether the scent would wear off the same if it was 1/2 oz or 1 oz amount of wax in the melter? The cubes and little tarts I received in the exchange lasted as long as one of my individual tarts from a fluted mold. So, her blend may last longer or they may burn off the same...I'm not at all sure on that. Maybe someone else will chime in on that theory for us.

When asked what we expect from our tart wax, I could only report on results from the three that I've tried or used recently. I've read where people are getting a lot better results than 2-3 days but they don't give their recipes. I wouldn't either if I had those results :)

IwantItgreen....I'm thinking about that....On whether the scent would wear off the same if it was 1/2 oz or 1 oz amount of wax in the melter? The cubes and little tarts I received in the exchange lasted as long as one of my individual tarts from a fluted mold. So, her blend may last longer or they may burn off the same...I'm not at all sure on that. Maybe someone else will chime in on that theory for us.

When asked what we expect from our tart wax, I could only report on results from the three that I've tried or used recently. I've read where people are getting a lot better results than 2-3 days but they don't give their recipes. I wouldn't either if I had those results :)

I KINDA feel that same way ...... but on the other hand, if I can get a nice long burn but one that does in fact cause you to turn around and buy more product from me in a reasonable amount of time, I'll take the "turn around". Considering most people dont burn an entire clamshell in a week , or even a month.... I'd rather they buy more and more often from me .. .PROVIDED they are still getting a great burn length and throw from my stuff.

Guess I'd rather sell 3 clamshells to one person, every month.. than 3 clamshells to one person every 6 months. (just a weak example lol it's late ! )

AND THANKS yall for welcoming me to the board :)

Guess I'd rather sell 3 clamshells to one person, every month.. than 3 clamshells to one person every 6 months. (just a weak example lol it's late ! )
This is what I think....Its all good. Examples and opinions are part of what makes a forum. What works for one may or may not work for the other. If we were all the same it would be awful boring :) Edited by jeanie353

My customers don't complain about my tarts not lasting long enough, they complain about them being too strong. I want my tarts (1 cube from clamshell) to be good for 12 hours. People I talk to say that if they smell one scent all day on day 1, they want to smell something different on day 2. That's good for me, that means they have a selection available to suit their whims on any given day.

In reference to my prior question, if both the 1/2 oz clamshell cube and the 1oz. tart both have a 9% FO load, I would expect the tart to last 2x as long as the melt.

Edited by IwantItgreen

EXACTLY Jeanie ! It takes a while to settle in to your customer base and find out what they want/demand. ( and a lot of times they want stuff you literally cringe at having to pour up lol for me that's Dragons Blood ). I live in a tourist area and that's why I carry SO many scents. It would be one thing if I were working with a demographic that say , loved bakery and only a few fruity or woodsey scents. When you're dealing with different people from all over the world, you gotta have what they want that they can't find anywhere else. I thought about it once, and it would be nice to carry a max of say 50 scents, then I realized what an FO Ho I am and I was like " yeah right that aint happening ! LOL "

IwantItgreen, I wish I knew if it'd last longer or not. I've never done 1ozers so I can't say whether it would last longer or just be doublely as strong , depending on the type warmer you were using. Logic on my end ( which Im not very logical at times lol ) would say that yes, it should last twice as long. Wish I had a definitive answer for you hun :(

IwantItgreen, I wish I knew if it'd last longer or not. I've never done 1ozers so I can't say whether it would last longer or just be doublely as strong , depending on the type warmer you were using. Logic on my end ( which Im not very logical at times lol ) would say that yes, it should last twice as long.

Yeah, I'm up in the air on this one too. I think it may come down to the size of the tart burner/warmer bowl too. If a 1/2 ounce cube is put in a shallow bowl and the 1 ounce tart put in a larger bowl creating an amount of liquid about the same depth, I'd think they may burn off the same. Edited by jeanie353

I have been told 4794 was good OMG this is the hardest wax on the planet and no scent at all! :mad:

Then i went to Lonestar and they "say" they have a wax just for tart making well I ordered a 10lb just to try :shocked2: OMG this wax is horrable too, so hard it just

dbsummer, I would be happy to send you some clamshells made with 4794 that will blow the doors off your house, and I only use 1 ouce per pound. Im not the best melt maker in the world, but I carry just over 100 full time scents, and have tested right at 400.

Not all wax works with all FOs from every company out there, but I pretty much have these 400 scents down to a science and I'd love to show you that this wax can make the most amazing melts. Yes, the wax is hard. But its SO much fun taking a hammer and beating the living snot out of it ! LOL Takes out a ton of pent up emotions in a very productive way !!!! LOL

Has anyone tried melting say a 1/2oz cube as well as a 1 oz "tart" of the same scent in the same size warmer (not at the same time of course :) ) just to see what the verdict would be?

I didn't try it b/c I don't want to break up any of the clamshells. I did experiment with the cooked wax one though. Odd as it sounded, it produced a candle with a definite stronger HT with very, very little frosting compared to the one doing the "regular" way. That I found really interesting.

Has anyone tried melting say a 1/2oz cube as well as a 1 oz "tart" of the same scent in the same size warmer (not at the same time of course :) ) just to see what the verdict would be?

Yup- two 1/2 ozer's last longer collectively, but the 1 ozer's smell STRONGER. So, I typically tell people to burn only half of a 1 oz. tart if they're burning it in small area, because it may be too cloying otherwise...and a whole tart in larger places. Does that make sense?

• 6 months later...
I'm having really good results with 6098 for tarts. I mixed in a little CBL129 to help firm it up a bit. Tried it in a container...not so much luck there w/wicking yet.

Reviving this thread after researching/reading. I want to start trying/making individual tarts/wax melts, etc. (any and all WICKLESS products). I was curious what Jeanie and other's results still are with the 6098 wax from dp morris? Do you still use this for tarts currently?

If not, do you have any recommendations? I've never done ANYTHING with wax as of yet so need to order, but not sure I should really order a whole "kit" when I don't intend on making wicked candles at all at this point. Suggestions on wax, inexpensive (but still good quality) suppliers, etc?