Question about 8oz Square Masons

I'm going to start testing these tomorrow. (I really love the look of them!) I'm wondering who is the best supplier (ie, cheapest) to get these from close to LA? Since I am ages away from selling squat, I don't need more than about 4 dozen or so.

Also, what size CD, LX or HTP wick do you think would be a good starting point to begin testing? I'm thinking a CD 8 or 10 using 4627 comfort blend would middle of the road.

I am not sure they are the closest, but Taylored Concepts sells them. I had a bugger of a time wicking these things. They seemed to be more of a challange for me, since the jars have more of a chimney on them. I really loved the jar, but ended up switching to a wide mouth mason. I also have a local supplier for them here in Texas. The wicking for me was hard for that little jar because it really needed a wick in between the largest HTP and 2 of the smallest HTP to burn properly. Everyone's results are going to be different though, and I know many people use these jars successfully, so maybe someone else will chime in here.

Edited to add: This was with a soy wax.

I so far have only tested HTP1212 in this jar with GW444, GW449 and MC soy in that jar with MC Patchouli. The 1212 was just a little too small. I like their looks too, but I'm afraid that double wicking is the way to go. I hate double wicking a jar that small, but it is a wide jar and has corners. :undecided

good luck! geek

We get ours at Richard's Packaging. They are quite inexpensive there. Can't remember the price......so tired right now...

I use a 50/50 blend and soy---and what works for me is a LX24 in the blend, and in soy CD 16 or 18. I have to test a larger size LX in this one in soy, I don't have the larger sizes:)

Thanks for all the help. I want to stick with the CD's if possible, but I realize that might not be feasible for every FO. Right now I'm testing ICS's Pink Sugar and have went from a CD 8 to a 12. I'm noticing that 3/4 of the way down it's starting to mushroom with the CD 12 so I'm assuming I'll need to wick up again if it continues? I've got some serious hangup on the sides that I'm hoping to lose without having to double wick. So far no sooting though, but that always happens to me if it's going to at 1/2 way and lower.

Jordan, where is Richard's Packaging?

I use the 8oz for testing and the 16oz for my finished product. The only difference between them is their height. I have gotten them both at WSP and I pick up some of the 8oz at Starrville any time I am in Tyler, TX (they don't have the 16oz square masons).

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/Product.aspx?Tab=2&CatalogID=3&GroupID=588&CatalogTitle=0&CategoryID=805&CategoryName=Mason+Jars

http://www.soap-making-supplies.com/handler.php?depid=5&catid=22&typeid=84

I have been using Comfort Blend with CD wicks with these jars. I have found that, most of the time, anywhere from a 10 to a 14 works well with them depending on the FO. Once, I had to go up to a 16 but never down to an 8. I do mostly baked goods and other heavy FO's though.

Thanks Jeff, it's good to know there is a place in Tyler. It's only an hour and a half from here. I'll have to check them out. I also use a lot of bakery scents and heavier oils so I think that as soon as I can get some CD 14's, and 16's to test, I should find my wick. I tried an 18 this afternoon and it took care of all the hangup on the sides, but the melt pool depth was about an inch down into the jar... too much to suit me. I'll give the others a shot as soon as I get them.

For some reason, I get a stronger throw with the CD's over any other wick.

Guest primhut

New to the board but thought I would chime in here.

We use the htp wicks in our 8 oz square masons using soy wax and they work great. Luckily we have a supplier that lives within 20 miles from us so we don't have to have the jars shipped to us.

• 1 year later...

I use the 8oz square masons and use a Eco 8 and a Eco 10 in them. Seems that all mine fit into one of those 2. I use a lot of bakery scents also. I also use a soy blend. Got my last jars from BCN but looking for a place to buy them in bigger bulk and truck freight them.

It was me, I am the guilty one. I was in hopes that she might see the msg considering I couldnt send her a msg. I just thought I might be able to get jars close by w/o having to pay for shipping, it is rather expensive. Hate that darn shipping cost on wax and containers.