Additives

Please bear with me.... I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around all this. :o

Based on a straight paraffin wax (1343 as example)...

Vybar 103 (1tsp pp) - adds opacity, kills mottle, increases FO % load...how much does it increase it? Will it make a 3% FO load wax bind 6%?

UA - Works the same as Vybar 103 except causes less opacity?

Vybar 343 - increase FO % load but will still mottle

Stearic - Hardens wax, lessens FO sweating...is this increasing the FO % load? Does it actually make the FO bind more so that it doesn't sweat out? Helps with rustic finish?

The more I read, the more conflicting information becomes:

From a site suggested by Candleman on old board...http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art15113.asp

Stearic Acid, also know as stearine is added to paraffin wax, is used to

brighten color and can also give a more opaque appearance. This additive is also used to improve burn time, burn quality, leave a glossy finish and decrease shrinkage. Suggested amount to use is 3 tb. per pound of wax. Adding more can cause a mottled look. This is an animal by- product, but vegetable substitutes are readily available.

It would be so helpful if there was a site with actual factual information on what all the additives WILL and can possibly do. If there is, someone please point me to it! :o

I'm really wishing my pillar blend wasn't fingernailing! I'm frying my brain trying to understand all this :(

My experiences based on 1343:

Vybar 103-will give you a smooth, creamy candle w/6% load at 1/2 tsp per lb.

Vybar 343-used at 2% of wax weight will increase FO load to 6% or so and not kill the mottle. More will kill it.

UA I use interchangeably with vybar 103 and have not noticed a difference in the opacity at 1/2 tsp pp.

Stearic-at 1-3 Tbs pp will help with sweating and FO, up to 6%. According to Alan, use stearic or vybar, no need to use both. For the Rustics, it's a must at 3 Tbs per lb.

UV-add to all of the above at the recommended rate for your product.

Hope this covers it.

e