Somebody help me please!!! AHHH!

I've recently tried taking up a new hobby, Candlemaking! I really enjoy it, however all of a sudden I'm experiencing difficulties! The middle of my candles seem to be collapsing! They end up looking like volcanos! What am I doing wrong, and does anybody have any idea how I can fix it? :embarasse

Thank You - Kristal

Are you poking relief holes as your wax hardens. What type of candles - containers, pillars? If not you may find this helpful. Under basic instructions on the side bar.

/www.candletech.com/metalpillarmolds/step7.htm

I haven't made many container candles, mainly pillars, so I hope the people who make containers chime in. Here are the container instructions from the same place.

www.candletech.com/containercandles/

It doesn't appear to have instructions for poking holes, but does mention how the wax will form a well as it cools and you then do a repour. There are some waxes that you aren't supposed to have to do that, but I don't know what ones. When I did make a few containers, I poked holes and did a repour. Not sure what others do?

It all depends on the wax your useing and the temperature around the candles as they set up. I use j-223 for containers and depending on the weather i sometimes have to poke holes till cool, then repour. Waxes can be tricky sometimes because so much can change day by day,lol. We have all had alot of the same problems starting out, so my best advice would be to read threw the forum as alot of your questions are probley all ready asked and answered. Reading everyone elses questions helped me alot when i started out. Good luck and welcome to the board. Lin

Howdy and welcome to the board :)

May I suggest you start out with research. The newbie thread is most helpful, as are all the topics in the FAQs and Tips database. The Basic Instructions and General Information links to the left will be a great help as well. And the biggest help is learning to do a search here on the board. Most any question you'd have has been answered a number of times. Then when you still need answers, remember to give as much information as possible. The type/number of the wax, ie. IGI 4786 or EZ Soy or whatever it is. Failing that, at least provide the MP (melt point) and whether it's a blend or not. The size/type of wicks, any additives and how much, how much FO, whether dyes or pigments, diameter and shape of container or diameter of pillar, what temp you mixed at, the temp poured, etc.. etc.. The more info, the better we will be able to help you.