crooked wick

I poured my first two candles today, in jars. Somehow, one of my wicks is off center. I know it was centered when I poured it, but somehow the wick bar moved out of place during cooling. Is it advisible to re-melt the wax and straighten the wick? Or is this candle a lost cause?

You need to keep tension on the wick while the wax hardens, there are various way to do that some home made and other can be bought. How far off-center is it?

The wick was attached to a wick bar, but I guess I didn't pull it taut enough. The wick is about 1/4" off center at the top of the candle, but the wick tab is centered at the base of the candle. It's a small jar, with a diameter of 2.625", so 1/4" seems way off center to me.

You can put it in the oven and the top wax will melt and you can pull the wick taut ( I double checked spelling at dictionary.com) and re center...if you can keep the wax in the lower part of the candle solid you shouldn't be able to pull the whole wick out.

Thanks! I may give this a try. I know I shouldn't expect perfection my first time out, but dang-it I wanted it to be just right!!!! Luckily the other candle seems fine. I can't wait to test one on Monday! :)

With a skewer, poke a hole along the crooked wick on the side it needs to move toward.

Pull the wick straight.

Heat gun the top to fill the hole & hold the wick.

Easy peasy.

Get some bow tie wick bars.

That sounds better to me than putting the jar in the oven. Thank you :)

And now I'm off to google bow tie wick bars.

I feel a little defeated that I messed it up

Nah - that's how we learn. I used to have to hide candles from myself because I'd mess with 'em and screw 'em up. You can't reasonably expect to get everything perfect the first time around... Now you know how crooked wicks happen. If the wick is not kept centered and taut, the contracting, cooling wax will literally pull the wick off-center.

It's gonna be just fine. :)