still frustrated embedding photos

I am having a problem with what looks like air bubbles once my candle is done. When you look at it in the light, it looks like wax slipped in on top of the photo, but when I put a tea light in the hurricane, it looks great. I am doing everything that Techniques & Ideas is saying to. I use a cold washcloth to make the photo stay, I use a wooden spoon to hold the photo. I am not sure what is wrong. I am not using any special wax, just plain paraffin wax. I also notice that a lot of little tiny cracks are all throughout the candle, not big enough to notice, but I do. I am new at this and I know practice is the key, but I want to find out if there is something that I am missing. Thanks for all the replies! It really does help! :laugh2:

From a novice to a novice. I think you're main problem is the wax. They have a special harder wax for hurricanes. I'm sure some one else will pop in here and give numbers, I just ask for hurricane wax at my supplier and that's what she gives me. I've only made a few but have had no major problems such as yours.

Let you picture sit in the mold full of hot wax to get all the bubbles off the picture. Also, when I have my picture in place I then use 2 skewers and rub the picture from the center to the outside edge of the picture. You'd be amazed at the little bubbles that come out of there. And we all know, if you have bubbles, you probably have wax in front of your picture.

Keep working at it. You'll get it.

As Tucker says, it's likely the wax. You need to use a hurricane wax. Preferably 160 degrees or higher. Straight paraffin doesn't normally have a high enough melt point to withstand the heat of the flame inside without damaging the shell. You may find some of your problems will disappear when you change wax. Most of the instructions and tips are designed with hurricane wax in mind.