Ever Heard of a Massage Candle?

Guest EMercier

Guest EMercier

I was just in Victoria Secret downstairs (there is a little mall and food court in my building at work) and they now have lovespell conditioner and I think shampoo. It smells good! OK, my point. I saw something that I've never seen, a massage candle. The directions tell you to burn it for 30 minutes and then let it cool a bit and use it as massage oil. It was scented with Vailla FO. I know the people where looking at me like I was crazy because I was looking like it was from another planet. I acutally was looking at the ingredients. It said Hydrogenated (if I spelled it right) Soybean Oil, Sterid Acid (Palm) and FO (of course they spelled it out). It was packaged in a 4 oz tin with a cute little pink and black round label on the top. Great idea. OK, do now I have to learn how to make that and market it for Valentine's Day! I'll have to go home and search for a picture if they have one. My job, I'm sure, will not allow me to go on VS's website.

Guest EMercier

I just read the other thread on the massage candle. I think this is a good idea, I mean I understand not all people have common sense. Also, some wicks burn cooler than others. The one in Victoria Secret says to only burn for 30 minues to melt and wait to cool a bit. I don't see what's the difference if you use that or melt oil in the microwave (which is can testify that it was once too hot for my body). I guess I can just test it out and see how hot it actually gets. BUT, you know some nut will make it really hot and burn themselves! Well, I'll try it out and see. Maybe I can put it with my aroma line if I get it together before Valentine's Day. OH well!

Why don't you just sell the melts and use that as a Massage Melt!!

That way no flame is involved..

Then you don't have to dip your hands in a burning candle...

You just dip it into the tart warmer bowl..

You can just dribble your wax on the person you want to massage!!santa chee

Could be lots of fun!!!

This definately has been a HUGE debate w/ people getting down right angry about it. Its a soy candle they're telling you to pour on the skin (plain & simple). Obviously the vanilla is skin safe and the wax is cosmetic, is it colored? if so I didn't realize they made colorant that was body safe that took to soy. People have voiced concern over children seeing an adult doing this and not understanding and copying mommy/daddy w/ lit candles or other wax candles that might not be body safe and burning themselves. Which is another point if you happen to test w/ a finger and pour on a more sensitive part of the body you could burn yourself. I can't remember any other points that have been made in the past. I did ask about this same thing when I first started making soy candles and had an experienced chandlier on another board jump down my throat about it (I was asking not promoting). I'm surprised VS would carry a product that could be a liability. Anyway to each his own I had people direct me to soy lotion and soy lotion bars/sticks after asking this question. HTH :)

Guest EMercier
Why don't you just sell the melts and use that as a Massage Melt!!

That way no flame is involved..

Then you don't have to dip your hands in a burning candle...

You just dip it into the tart warmer bowl..

You can just dribble your wax on the person you want to massage!!santa chee

Could be lots of fun!!!

I like that idea!!! Also, this wasn't colored. I was shocked too that they would sell this. The first thing I thought about was, Ouch that would hurt! But, I like the melt idea much better, It's a bit safer if you ask me. It's almost like a oil burner or warmer. Cool, cool, cool.

• 1 year later...

I just posted this in the General Candle making section today. Ran across some massage candles and I was actually pretty facinated. Now these are NOT just a melted soy candle that they are marketing. The ones I ran across had the ingredients listed as

Palm Kernal Oil

Soy Oil

Shea Butter

Jojoba Oil

Hempseed oil

Vitamin E

Green Tea Extract

Fragrance

The directions for the 6oz candle say....

formulated to never be too hot on your skin. Each candle will give you approx. 60 hand massages, and 20 full-body massages.

This candle is featured in an Hourglass Jar...easy to hold and less drip when pouring.

Always extinguish flame before pouring melted oil onto your skin

I'm in the process of doing some gift baskets for a bachlorette party and I came across these candles while looking for some 'adult' toys to put in my baskets. The candles looked very interesting. I can't post the link here though because it's an adult oriented webisite. If you'd like to see them you'll have to PM me for the URL. :)

I bought one today......I haven't tried it yet. I would really like to figure out how they make these. I have the ingredient list which is all butters and oils but I will have to try and figure out the wick. This should be fun! LOL

I had a friend show me this online the other day too and I wouldn't mind getting one. However, I figure it's just a matter of time until someone sues. If someone can collect a check for suing McDonalds for serving too hot of coffee then I am sure there is some yahoo that will find a way to get paid for this lol!

VS's Supermodel 2-in-1 Candle/Massage Oil is on clearance right now for 18.99. Initial post is over a year old, but sounds like you're right.... discontinued. I wonder if I get one and rub it in real good, I'll wake up looking like a supermodel... I'll have to remember to keep the fan going on high so I can do the hair flips with my long hair as I wake up. :D Oh wait,.. clearance... it probably doesn't work. Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the group.. My name is Sandy and I've been making bath and body products for about 4 years. I've heard the massage candles have been around for a long time. But this is the first I've heard of them. I saw one in a small soap shop and tried it. I would really like to learn how to make them, does anyone have a recipe to share? or maybe tell me how much oils I can use with the soy wax. I was wanting to use a mixture of different oil and vit. E.:confused: Thanks, Sandy

• 3 weeks later...