Protecting Hurricane Candles

lokysnommis

Hello everyone! I lurk a lot but I love all of the advice that I read, so I thought I would post. I primarily make (and sell) soy container candles and tarts, but recently started making hurricane candles. Long story short, someone who visited my house saw a couple that I have as decor in my living room and mentioned it to a furniture store owner. This man would like to order 25 of them to use as decor in their showroom. Which is unexpected, but great. The only thing that I'm not sure about is how to protect the finish on the shells. I know that there are products that I can buy, like candle glaze or spray on luster- but I'm not sure what would be best as a protectant? Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hurricane candles are larger diameter candles that are poured and then placed in a water bath. After about 1/4 inch of wax has solidified on the outside of the candle, the remaining liquid wax is poured out, leaving only a bottom and sides with a hollow middle. Hurricanes are usually poured undyed, often with things embedded from dried flowers to photos. You put a votive or a tealight candle in the hollowed our center and the white candle glows. You use high melt wax for the shell so it doesnt melt from the heat of the inside candle and can be used over and over....

Vicky, I tried the Krylon clear coat and it was very tacky. Does the glaze dry tacky, as well? I've found the glaze from one supplier and I'm just wary of spending that much money for a gallon when I don't know how it will work. Thanks so much for your help! : )

As with any coating you need to wipe down your wax with alcohol not only does that get rid of and dirt but any oil that maybe on the wax and you will find you coating will dry better and with less tackiness. I do not know if the glaze you go is the same as mine but mine does not leave any tackiness but I let it dry for 24-48 hours before packaging further.

Because I use a blend of soy & palm wax for my hurricanes, the surface is quite hard and not oily, even when the wax is scented. A quick buffing with a tee shirt is all that's needed to maintain the surface. When they become dusty inside, I rinse them in hot water, dry and buff to restore them.