Reusing clamshell molds for personal use

emahleem

Hello,

I am new to candle making and thinking about trying to make some tarts. I am not selling anything, but I'm wondering if there are any reasons not to reuse the plastic clamshell molds for making tarts.

If there is a better option, please let me know. I have seen the single tin molds, but they are usually sold as singles and are a bit more expensive. Candlewic is my supplier because they are nearby, so I was thinking about picking up one of these trays made of polycarbonate.

Thanks!

Do you have a hobby lobby near you? In the candy section you will find all kinds of polycarbonate molds that you can use for tarts. And with their 40% off coupon you can get some deals. Get some ziploc plastic containers (with number 5 in a triangle on the bottom) and store your tarts in there - one scent per container.

ps Love your avatar!

I went to Michael's this morning and found the wall of candy melt molds in the baking section. I bought one with little hearts, but there were a lot of options. They were all $1.99, with different number of cavities depending on the size.

Just keep your eye out when shopping. I have found molds in candy/cake supply departments in Kmart; as well as some in a center aisle display for Easter themed molds. I've used both Wilton silicone and teflon molds with great success in the detail quality.

If you were asking if you could recycle your 6 cavity clamshells; heck yes, and don't you feel like you left a thinner carbon footprint? I reuse my clamshells and tealight cups; just wash thoroughly, but be sure to only use the same scent; they do pick up a degree of it, no matter how much you bleach them (which is unnecessary, but I had the flu last week and Clorox and Lysol became by current besties; I had been washing some recycle clams and tossed in the clorox just to be safe...). I wash and reuse my tealight cups for personal use only; I won't even let my sis take these home; never had a problem, but they cloud and are spotty after the dishwasher, so I just keep them for my use, which is heavy. I'm Brandy, and I'm a candle junkie.

Lol thanks Brandy! That's good info, I was wondering how much the scent would affect it. They are cheap enough that I could buy one pack of 50 or 100 and reserve each one for a specific scent. Of course these would only be for my personal use, like you said... I'm not even thinking about selling anything yet.

I would just go to the dollar store, get one of those $1.00 cookie sheets (with a small lip). Pour your wax in one of those, while the wax is still slightly warm, cut into small cubes. Store the wax in zip lock bags. Then you could use any amount desired and could even mix the fragrances if you wanted.

I would just go to the dollar store, get one of those $1.00 cookie sheets (with a small lip). Pour your wax in one of those, while the wax is still slightly warm, cut into small cubes. Store the wax in zip lock bags. Then you could use any amount desired and could even mix the fragrances if you wanted.

That is a really great idea. Only thing you may want to watch is that some plastics will pull the scent. Polypropylene (polypro) will not. I heard there is one (possibly more) brand of baggie on the market made of polypro. I use generic ones so I don't have any here to check out brands for you. I just buy them from candle supply places when I need to place an order for other things.