Cupcake/Cake Recipe

chuck_35550

Help me out here, please. A well known company lists their soap ingredients: coconut, palm, olive and rice bran oil. If the coconut and palm (vegetable equivalent to tallow) are the hard oils and the olive and rice bran (substitute for olive) are the soft oils; would you use the rice bran oil to cut down on the cost of olive and therefore use a larger percentage? This seems to be a high linoleic and or oleic recipe with the cleansing and bubbling all from the coconut. What would be the percentages of these oils that would enable a soap to be firm enough to make frosting and set without being greasy or brittle? This is a goat milk soap. TIA

Steve

You know I experimented with RBO to cut down on the cost of olive oil, because at the time there was like a $10 diff between the two oils. Now olive has come way down. There's not much diff between the oils. There is some, but IMO olive is the better of the two and so when I use my recipe that includes say 25% combined of both oils, the higher % split is olive oil ... maybe that's 13% or 15% and the rest of that 25% is RBO. Hope that makes sense to you.

I can't give you percentages on your other question. I haven't tried doing the frosting bit.

So what qualities does the rbo possess that keeps it in your recipe? There must be something that the rbo adds or improves in the overall quality of your soap. I can get oo but not rbo around this neck of the woods. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Steve

I just reformulated my recipe and switched from RBO to Olive. I can't tell you what I liked about the RBO as much as I can tell you what I don't like about olive. Most soaps that I've tried with olive oil, at least fairly high percentages, are slippery and almost slimy in the shower. RBO doesn't do that. RBO is very expensive on the west coast and shipping from the east coast is cost prohibitive, that's why I switched, BTW.

Don't forget, just because olive oil is liquid doesn't make it a soft oil Olive oil soaps harden up rock hard. It is actually considered by most soapers to be a hard oil

See I still consider olive to have a better slip than RBO ... not a slimy slip, maybe more of a smooth slip. However, I don't like castile bars made with olive. I don't like castile bars at all, because I find the soap falls apart.

What the combo did for my bars was to give me a little more hardness sooner, but really there just wasn't that much difference in the percentage that I used both when I used both. When I stay with my 25% olive, I like the feel of my bar better.

You are right about the slip. RBO tends to not have as much slip/glide, I call it a stutter, LOL.

I think the last tweak to my new recipe had about 30% olive, I upped the lard, lowered the coconut and added some shea. Did you get that sample bar I sent, Scented?

See, I don't like lard but love tallow. There's something about the feel and texture I like when using tallow. I've never used rbo and was curious why someone would use both oils when they seem to be similar but after reading some posts it seems that rbo makes for a harder bar and is good for older skin.

Steve