Definitions and candle terms

hello all I have read many of the post here and they are very informative. But is there a post that has all the candle terminologyand definitions? or were can I find it if not here. I wont to understand wicking, melt pool, HT CT...etc I just like to write things down and review :cheesy2:

HT - hot throw

CT - cold throw

MP - melt pool

FMP - full melt pool

Supplier abbreviations (CT, CW, CS, LS, etc.) can be found in the general candlemaking foorum, Helpful links for Newbies, Abbreviations and supplier websites. The more yo read, the more you will understand because of the context.

thank you guys, LOL @dcroome2005 my husband is already like wow! lol but I believe this will eventually turn into a income that I will be able to help with in return, I love this craft and was always intimidated about learning to do it. I just made a decision to go for it and he game me his blessing and the CC (with caution)lol

Mzphee, the melt pool is the part of the candle around the wick where the wax melts and becomes liquid. It's where the lion's share of the fragrance comes from. The width of the MP determines how much scent can be released from its surface. If the MP isn't large enough on successive burns, the candle is said to "tunnel" which means burns straight down. This isn't how we want a candle to burn. We want the MP to spread out to the entire diameter of the container and release lots of FO as the candle slowly burns down.

When testing you are looking for several things - how slowly the wax is melting (long burns are better), how well the candle throws scent, how well the wick consumes the wax without a large flame or one that sputters, flickers, etc., how cleanly the candle burns (no noticeable soot or smoke) and how safely the candle burns (doesn't heat up the container more than you can comfortably touch, no wick "torch", etc.).

To test your candle, burn for 1 hour per each inch if inside diameter, ie. a 3" candle should be burned for 3 hours. Between test sessions, let the candle cool COMPLETEY, trim the wick to 1/4" and you're ready to go again. Burn for the same amount of time each time until the candle self-extinguishes at the top of the wick tab or there's 1/2 inch of wax left, whichever comes first.

My best suggestion is for you to make best friends with the search too and read, read, read. There is a HUGE amount of information contained in the threads. If you have questions about veggie wax candles, post them in the vegetable wax forum; otherwise post paraffin related or general questions here. Have fun!

thank you Ms Stella now I know when I read the threads what they are really speaking about and can understand whats going on with my own test. im going to go back and read over some of the post ive read in the past 3days. I am loving this ive been reading all day and night ...Im a learning!! thanks again and will speak too you guys later I had candle studing to attend

Mzphee, the melt pool is the part of the candle around the wick where the wax melts and becomes liquid. It's where the lion's share of the fragrance comes from. The width of the MP determines how much scent can be released from its surface. If the MP isn't large enough on successive burns, the candle is said to "tunnel" which means burns straight down. This isn't how we want a candle to burn. We want the MP to spread out to the entire diameter of the container and release lots of FO as the candle slowly burns down.

When testing you are looking for several things - how slowly the wax is melting (long burns are better), how well the candle throws scent, how well the wick consumes the wax without a large flame or one that sputters, flickers, etc., how cleanly the candle burns (no noticeable soot or smoke) and how safely the candle burns (doesn't heat up the container more than you can comfortably touch, no wick "torch", etc.).

To test your candle, burn for 1 hour per each inch if inside diameter, ie. a 3" candle should be burned for 3 hours. Between test sessions, let the candle cool COMPLETEY, trim the wick to 1/4" and you're ready to go again. Burn for the same amount of time each time until the candle self-extinguishes at the top of the wick tab or there's 1/2 inch of wax left, whichever comes first.

My best suggestion is for you to make best friends with the search too and read, read, read. There is a HUGE amount of information contained in the threads. If you have questions about veggie wax candles, post them in the vegetable wax forum; otherwise post paraffin related or general questions here. Have fun!

thanks I've been wondering the same thing!!!!

In 7 yrs of candlemaking, I've never charged one cent for candle supplies on a CC.

Pam, I'm envious. You certainly must live near enough to a supplier to pickup and pay cash. That's certainly how I would do it if I could.

I order online and charge to my CC. But when the CC is due, I go to my stash that I saved during the month, deposit in the bank, and submit my online payment to the CC company. (paid in full, ALWAYS!)

Edited by IwantItgreen

Mzphee, the melt pool is the part of the candle around...... Have fun!

Wow, is all I have to say. :) Thanks for the information. I am very new to all of this and am reading, reading, reading, before my supplies arrive. This was very useful and I think I might have to search posts by you to see what else I can dig up. :)