The candle maker store ,candlewic, lone star???

Good morning all! I have a question, should i order or not? The Candle Makers Store I found a few things to get me started, heres what is in my cart 10lbs of Natural sol 464, 8 dozen HTP 104 wicks, and 4 FO(they were by 3 get 1 free) including shipping $43.00 NOW I also have in another cart at CandleWic I have a soy sampler comes with 5lb each of (Golden Foods GW-444,Candlewic soy 125,elevances c-3) and four sets of sample wicks,and 3Fo including shipping $52.42 AND last at LONE STAR i HAVE 10lb Golden Brands 444 enhanced,50 sample wicks HTP, and 3 FO including shipping $40.54. ok so I know as far as $$is concerned which is cheaper but which product is better to start with? I am using 4oz and 8oz mason jars? thank you I really would like to place order today..so PLEEEEEEEEASE give me your honest opinion :yay:

Good morning all! I have a question, should i order or not? The Candle Makers Store I found a few things to get me started, heres what is in my cart 10lbs of Natural sol 464, 8 dozen HTP 104 wicks, and 4 FO(they were by 3 get 1 free) including shipping $43.00 NOW I also have in another cart at CandleWic I have a soy sampler comes with 5lb each of (Golden Foods GW-444,Candlewic soy 125,elevances c-3) and four sets of sample wicks,and 3Fo including shipping $52.42 AND last at LONE STAR i HAVE 10lb Golden Brands 444 enhanced,50 sample wicks HTP, and 3 FO including shipping $40.54. ok so I know as far as $$is concerned which is cheaper but which product is better to start with? I am using 4oz and 8oz mason jars? thank you I really would like to place order today..so PLEEEEEEEEASE give me your honest opinion :yay:

My opinion is not the Candle Maker Store kit, how do you know you will like the 464 and I have never used HTP wicks with my 464. The CandleWic one looks interesting in that you can easily compare 4 waxes and various wicks. The Lonestar is similar to the first one, just one wax and one type of wick. So I would have to pick the CandleWic order as the most useful, I worry that you will not have enough wax to test all the variables so plan your candle making well. Your wax will last longer using the 4 oz jars and that should give you an idea as to which wax you like, you'll have to retest when you scale up to the 8 oz jars.

As one Newbie to another. I would order from Candlewic (I did yesterday) but I would order a 1lb bottle of fragrance. the 1oz's aren't enough to test with. (To test correctly you'll need a lot of the same scent) I'm trying Snicker Doodle, it has great reviews from this site. I don't know about the wicks because I'm still trying to find some that work after 5 months. I would wait until more have chimed in to help because I don't think the order will process until Mon. I can't teach you anything, but I can sure tell you all the things I've done incorrectly!

To test correctly you'll need a lot of the same scent

Not really... Once you have your wicking down for your different containers, you can test new FOs pretty quickly. It doesn't take long to ascertain if a different wick size will be needed or whether the FO is throwing... I test in 4 oz & 8 oz canning jars. If the FO works in those, then I order more. If it doesn't, I don't need to bother and I'm not out much money... I'm not going to fool around with changing wicking for every persnickety FO - it either works in my system or it doesn't and I move on to another supplier for the same scent or choose one of the thousands on my list of FOs I want to try. I have to really LOVE a scent to even change the wick size I use...

I don't like kits much... I did my initial product research and made my own "kit." Instead of buying a kit with the FO & wick included, I bought 5 or 10# of wax, a wick sampler package and a few fragrance samples. As another seasoned chandler pointed out the other day, for new folks it's far more cost effective to buy from the classified ads here than it is from suppliers. This gives one the opportunity to get one's feet wet without paying top dollar, etc. A 1 oz. tester will yield 3-5 candles of the size containers I use for testing (4 & 8 oz. canning jars). If one chooses larger sizes, it takes far longer and a lot more material$ to test. Start small, get that down, then go to larger containers.

One can start with any of those waxes, but NatureWax C3 is my preference. Its appearance & fragrance throw make it the best choice among those you mentioned. CD wicks work very well in C3. HTH

Edited by Stella1952

I don't like kits much... I did my initial product research and made my own "kit." Instead of buying a kit with the FO & wick included, I bought 5 or 10# of wax, a wick sampler package and a few fragrance samples. As another seasoned chandler pointed out the other day, for new folks it's far more cost effective to buy from the classified ads here than it is from suppliers. This gives one the opportunity to get one's feet wet without paying top dollar, etc. A 1 oz. tester will yield 3-5 candles of the size containers I use for testing (4 & 8 oz. canning jars). If one chooses larger sizes, it takes far longer and a lot more material$ to test. Start small, get that down, then go to larger containers.

One can start with any of those waxes, but NatureWax C3 is my preference. Its appearance & fragrance throw make it the best choice among those you mentioned. CD wicks work very well in C3. HTH

When can newbies see the classifieds? Maybe there's a trick to it I'm overlooking....

I think you have to be a member for 30 days and have a certain number of posts... Best thing is to read, read, read, ask questions, etc. during that time and by the time the 30 days rolls around, you'll know a LOT more than ya do now and still have some money in your pocket. Once you start buying candlemaking supplies, you will not. LOLOL

I think you have to be a member for 30 days and have a certain number of posts... Best thing is to read, read, read, ask questions, etc. during that time and by the time the 30 days rolls around, you'll know a LOT more than ya do now and still have some money in your pocket. Once you start buying candlemaking supplies, you will not. LOLOL

I may be wrong here but I seem to remember it might also include having to have made a certain amount of posts...possibly along with being a member for 30 days. I think it will tell you if you try to enter the classies. If not, I did read it on the board somewhere on what the criteria is. When I met it, I was a very happy camper :)

Edited by jeanie353