Wickless Sales vs Wicked Sales

Soleil

Okay so my mother and I got into this little debate last night over wickless (tarts) vs. wicked (candles).

She owns a flower shop/trinket shop here in a small town and sells my tarts and Circle E candles for the moment. She has seen (at least here) a massive drop in the amount of actual candle sales and a fairly large rise in tart sales. People are still buying the candles, as Circle E is the big favorite around here, but more are leaning towards the tarts it seems.

How is it for you?

If you make both, does one sell better than the other?

It makes me wonder if the tart popularity isn't due to the ever increasing (smothering) Scentsy sales everywhere.... I know we have 3 sellers here in a town with a population of less than 10k.

Craftshows, home parties, wholesale, and my little shop I sell mainly melts, I do offer jars in my best selling scents. I do have to say when doing a fundraiser jar candles out sell melts hands down, I don't know why but they do.

I'll say that Scentsy has opened the doors for clamshells but not melts themselves. I thank Yank** for making Tarts so popular.

Edited by mindy5140
typo

I noticed this summer a rise in candle sales. People that had gone to burners are starting to come back to the candles or they are using both. Last summer candles sales for me were pour and melt sold like hot cakes. The fad here is starting to where thin. It will never die but people are going back to the candles or are using both.

It's really interesting to see the changes between users and their areas.

See here, we don't have Yankee candles. It has never caught on there. No one sells them because Circle E is the big dog in Texas, they have the free-standing tarts but those aren't as great of sellers as their candles. Plus the fact that I have noticed their tarts don't have nearly the smell of their candles.

It seems that we cannot predict what will sell better. One day of a show was insane for melters and melts! The following day (same show) our 16 oz jars were all the rage!

I have kind of decided to only bring melts and melters to smaller shows, much less set up time and so much less to carry! I want to see how I do at a show with just melts and maybe sachets and soap.

At our market we do we push the tart warmers so our tart sales are amazing with jars coming in a close second... It is very interesting to see how our customers grow with us as we introduce new product lines too. But in the long run, that customer that got jars the first time and switched over to tarts... well they come back getting jars months later but many will get both =)

I have to agree with Envy tho, I'd love to see how some of us do with JUST tarts at a show... I bet we won't see much of a difference in profit.