Soothing scent for chemo patient?

Hi, I have a good customer who has asked me to create a candle in a scent that might be soothing for her best friend currently going through chemo. I was wondering if anyone here has done anything like this? I could use some suggestions :smiley2:

If you're making it specifically for the Chemo patient, keep in mind a few things: What is soothing to one person may not be soothing for another. Have your customer ask her friend what her favorite scents are. Or at least what she absolutely can't stand, so you know what to avoid. Second thing is that people going through chemo will sometimes find that certain scents will make them feel ill again. So that's probably another question to ask, if certain smells will bother her. After all of those questions, you'll have your options set down a bit better.

Now to some of the things that people will find soothing: Some like baked scents, it reminds them of home (depends on the person of course). Aromatherapy often uses Lavender and Chamomile for relaxation. Some folks use sage in small amounts. Others use vanilla. I've used jasmine for customers in the past for soothing projects too. Again, most of this is hit or miss depending on the person receiving the candle.

Hi, I have a good customer who has asked me to create a candle in a scent that might be soothing for her best friend currently going through chemo. I was wondering if anyone here has done anything like this? I could use some suggestions :smiley2:

This may seem strange, but maybe Hippie Christmas from NG. I mostly smell the vanilla & peppermint. It's light & fresh, imo.

I agree with Janet. Many people find Lavender soothing. I'm not one of them. I can't stand the smell of it and the scent would make me feel sick to my stomach.

Her smell senses may be heightened (much like a pregnant woman's senses) and could be more affected by certain smells that others. I know some smells that didn't bother me before made me wanna hurl during that time. If she's going through chemo her stomach is probably in enough turmoil as is. I'd get some info on the lady

as to what she likes and doesn't like and go from there. Hippie Christmas... not one I've smelled but just from the name makes me think of pine and incense...lol

If you're making it specifically for the Chemo patient, keep in mind a few things: What is soothing to one person may not be soothing for another. Have your customer ask her friend what her favorite scents are. Or at least what she absolutely can't stand, so you know what to avoid. Second thing is that people going through chemo will sometimes find that certain scents will make them feel ill again. So that's probably another question to ask, if certain smells will bother her. After all of those questions, you'll have your options set down a bit better.

Now to some of the things that people will find soothing: Some like baked scents, it reminds them of home (depends on the person of course). Aromatherapy often uses Lavender and Chamomile for relaxation. Some folks use sage in small amounts. Others use vanilla. I've used jasmine for customers in the past for soothing projects too. Again, most of this is hit or miss depending on the person receiving the candle.

I agree. I will definately get more information as to her likes and dislikes. Thank you so much for your helpful replies.

What is soothing to one person may not be soothing for another. Have your customer ask her friend what her favorite scents are. Or at least what she absolutely can't stand, so you know what to avoid. Second thing is that people going through chemo will sometimes find that certain scents will make them feel ill again. So that's probably another question to ask, if certain smells will bother her. After all of those questions, you'll have your options set down a bit better.
I completely agree. Understand that what people USUALLY find soothing, can drastically change after chemo, some surgeries and health conditions, including pregnancy! It is also common that what is soothing one day may cause nausea at another time. For example, I love the smell of coffee & bacon, but when I was pregnant, sometimes those two favorite scents would make me wanna urp.

Fragrance is a HIGHLY subjective thing - I don't find lavender soothing or pleasing much on a good day!

Edited by Stella1952

I must put my 2 cents in-

many chemo patients have issues will scent. Often they are nauseous/ vomiting to begin with. I don't know that a scented candle would be a good thing, especially if it is strong. I would probably aim for something like a vanilla.

Not to sound crass, but find out what types of scents do not make them feel sick to their stomach.

I'd like to hear from the EO people on this.

While its fine to have FO candles that mimic aromatherapy, I think only the EO's have any real ability to affect us. I have a candle that is a relaxing EO. Yeah, it has bulgarian lavender in it, among other EO's. It gets a bit spendy to make, but gee does it really relax me. I put together a group of EO's that are believed to have a positive effect on lowering blood pressure and while I don't think it has a dramatic effect, it is nice. There are other EO's that are good for stimulating a person during the day, etc.

I understand that the fruit mangosteen (not mango) is good for chemo. You can get it in pills or buy the liquid. You cannot buy the fruit itself in the US.

Edited by EricofAZ

I am going to suggest reading: http://www.integrative-healthcare.org/mt/archives/2009/09/what_you_need_t.html before even trying to put something together.

http://www.bliss.com/articles/detail/healing_scents_for_cancer/

There are articles that say a variety of things.

Suggestions though are to come up with something that would relaxing to the patient. A strongly scented candle might just be the opposite.

Ginger is something that comes up frequently and yea, lavender, but keep in mind there are many mixes and there are many suggestins for different types of cancers. While the first link refers to lotions, those scents can be turned over into a candle.

If you get around to choosing EOs, I would go to someone who considers themselves an aromatherapist and seek their help/counsel.

Edited by Scented

I sell to a lot of patients undergoing chemo and EnvyCandles is absolutely right. Just like pregnancy, the sense of smell can alter. Also, as mentioned, the nausea is big a problem. Your best bet, (if you cannot ask the customer) is to make a vanilla, vanilla mint, or an OMH scent. Lavender can be very offensive- not just strong when your sense of smell is out of whack. I have great success with mild ocean scents to chemo patients as well. I do not make candles, but I do sell a lot of lotions and lip balms to chemo patients. I sell lip butters in particular to chemo patients whose mouths become very dry and cracked from the treatments they are enduring. My best sellers for these customers are vanilla, vanilla mint, and OMH. My absolute best selling balm is unscented, but that serves no purpose in the way of a candle for your customer.

Edited by Noodle

is good for chemo

The fragrance that's best for chemo is the one that the patient can tolerate without it causing them to feel nauseated. This is VERY subjective. An aromatherapist can offer ideas, but only the patient can tell you whether it makes them feel nauseated.

I forgot to mention that your scent must be mild. Quite a few cancer patients have told me that their sense of smell is not only "off", but heightened.

Ditto. I gave candles to my cousin during her chemo and her choices were always either Pink Sugar or Christmas Eve, both on the mild side. There were many FOs she couldn't tolerate, even though they had been favorites before her treatments.