A good idea I will share

I don't know if any of you have tried this, but everyone in my area loves it.

I take pine cones, put refresher oil spray on them. Leave them in a bag

for 3 days (shaking them up each day). After the 3 days, I put them in

a basket, put clear christmas lights through them. And give with a bottle

of refresher oil spray. You spray the pine cones once daily or every other

day. The lights heat the refresher oil and you can smell it almost all

through your house. I just thought I would share this with you all, because

you all have helped me so much.:)

I like the idea.I did the waxed dipped last year and they did not keep the scent long.With the spray(no mess) .The lights also would bring out the beauty and the scent of the cones.Great idea.Will try that next year at Craft Show time.

LynnS

Okay not to be a bubble burster, but this seems like an accident waiting to happen. My MIL got one last year with the potpourri. So explain this to me:

We all know how dangerous it is to have a dried out tree with Xmas lights on it, and that it can and has been know to start fires.

So the potpourri or pinecones are ALSO dry, and covered in oils to boot? How is this not dangerous. I mean all it takes is for a wire to short or something and KABOOM!!

Explain it to me please.:undecided

Well as far as my basket goes, my MIL didnt put oils on the potpourii she just put it in the basket with the pine cones, I have just taken it out each year and put new in. I dont know if that matters any but I have never had any problems, but like with everything else I guess you just have to be carefull.

Angied

My friend has been using the baskets for years and never had any

problems. I have been using the baskets for about 2 years and never had

any problems. Everyone goes wild over these.

My mom has been using her Xmas tree til there are practically no needles, without any problems for about 25 years. But it still happens. I am still waiting for someone to enlighten me.

Added:

Okay I was sitting here re-reading this thread, and I have an idea. Angie mentioned not using any oils. This could work, if the cones are sprayed down with flame retardent right? Although the flame retardent would do nothing for the oil soaked cones.

My mom received something like this a few years ago, but instead of a basket, it was potpourri and intertwined white lights in a large jar with a smelly jelly type lid. It was very cute.

My mother received one like this as well. I did check it thoroughly because it made me nervous. The lights are the cool ones and just barely get warm to the touch. The gal gave her a spare string of lights as well, so I did one up here. I left it plugged in for a week at a time. The bulbs were just warm. I don't worry so much about the heat, in these I have here because of that. It's the provide liquid oil refresher spray to spray on electrical wire and bulbs. Oil is not going to dry. If it seeps down around a bulb, it will stay there until the cord is plugged it. Then ZAAAAPPP!

My mother received one like this as well. I did check it thoroughly because it made me nervous. The lights are the cool ones and just barely get warm to the touch. The gal gave her a spare string of lights as well, so I did one up here. I left it plugged in for a week at a time. The bulbs were just warm. I don't worry so much about the heat, in these I have here because of that. It's the provide liquid oil refresher spray to spray on electrical wire and bulbs. Oil is not going to dry. If it seeps down around a bulb, it will stay there until the cord is plugged it. Then ZAAAAPPP!

SeeI would not be worried so much about the heat, It is a short in the wire. I mean some FO has been know to eat through plastic, So why not the wire coating?

SeeI would not be worried so much about the heat, It is a short in the wire. I mean some FO has been know to eat through plastic, So why not the wire coating?

This potpourri I have is dried. It's just store bought, so I don't know if oil was used to scent it or not. This has been sitting in the jar for close to a year and no damage. It's the FO that worries me as well, though I hadn't thought about it eating the wire. Mine here isn't all prety and fancy, just an experiment for my piece of mind about my mom using hers. Definately not something I would make and sell or give away. Way too many liabilities.