Premier 700 Series Wicks???

Good suggestion. I'll burn the C-3 again after 72 hrs. and see how it throws - forgive me, couldn't resist :grin2: but I've used the C-3 before and wasn't happy with the throw after about a week. Thanks for your feedback. Linda

That sure is a cute baby!

Good suggestion. I'll burn the C-3 again after 72 hrs. and see how it throws - forgive me, couldn't resist :grin2: but I've used the C-3 before and wasn't happy with the throw after about a week. Thanks for your feedback. Linda

That sure is a cute baby!

in my experience C3 usually needs a week. Hard to wait, I know.

I have finished my wick testing with the 700 series and I am extremely pleased with the results. I am going to be placing an order this coming week and was wondering if anyone wanted to go in since min order of each size is 1000 pieces? I would be willing to do the work of repacking and shipping out as well.

Yes, I had thought that would be a good idea. Maybe even some could buy different sizes and split them up to send around so you don't do all the work. :P

PS Altho there is a distributor site that does sell them by the 100's. A little while ago they didn't have all the sizes but maybe they do now.

Hi Marylyn,

So the 765 & 767 worked well in the 8 oz metro's? Mine die OK with the 767 in some but had to wick up to 770 to get cleaner sides with most. I had to go to a 798 for the 12 oz metro. What wax are you pouring? I'm pouring 449. I've also found that to get clean sides then I have to settle for mushrooms.

I have my test results from last week but haven't had time to post them yet. Planning to do that tomorrow morning.

Linda

I use mainly SS soy wax but also EZsoy. I'll been doing some testing with the 449 and notice that to clean up the sides I did have to go up a little in wicking. But I think that wax has a tendency to leave a residue on the side, not really a hang up on. With SS I notice it tends to use a smaller wick. But I am using 8 oz jelly jars. :D Be interesting to see your test results, Linda

Here are my final test results with the Simply Soy Container and votive waxes:

8oz JJ: range from 760 to 767 even with Pryme soy dyes :)

votives: range from 740 to 745 with Pryme soy dye as well

tealights: range from 720-725 with Prume soy dye as well.

If anyone orders from Waxhouse and uses their soy wax let me know. The owners said they would stock some various sizes of these wicks if their was enough interest. I live 15 minutes from them so this would be great!

Deb

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

When I started testing pint canning jars which are 2 1/2" across the top, I followed the Premier wick charts recommending up to a 770 wick.  I was getting pretty good results with the 765 and 767 wicks until I hit a brick wall with two new oils which had little or no hot throw.  Tried upping the fragrance oil but still wasn't a good throw.  I didn't even think to go up in wick size until some of you suggested I was using too small of a wick.  The 780 is much better for these fragrances although I am getting a good-size mushroom after a 3-hour burn.  The charts don't take into account the height of the container but are a starting point, I guess is what I'm getting at.

GoldieMN

• Like 1

I'm going to be testing the Premiers soon too, so I'm glad I stumbled across this thread.  I got mine from Aztec.

OldGlory is a premier 700 veteran, I wonder if she'll pop in to say hi a little later.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

When I started testing pint canning jars which are 2 1/2" across the top, I followed the Premier wick charts recommending up to a 770 wick.  I was getting pretty good results with the 765 and 767 wicks until I hit a brick wall with two new oils which had little or no hot throw.  Tried upping the fragrance oil but still wasn't a good throw.  I didn't even think to go up in wick size until some of you suggested I was using too small of a wick.  The 780 is much better for these fragrances although I am getting a good-size mushroom after a 3-hour burn.  The charts don't take into account the height of the container but are a starting point, I guess is what I'm getting at.

GoldieMN

You need to base your wick size on the widest part of your jar. That's your starting point. Then the other factors kick in. I am thinking the small mouth pint canning jar might be 3" at their widest. I don't have any on hand to measure so I could be wrong.

How is the melt pool after 3 hours? And the HT is better with a bigger wick? If you went down a tiny bit would the flame go out half the way down? To get all the other factors right you might have to put up with a mushroom, but I would try going down one size.

The Premier 780 wick on Aztec's site says it is "non-standard wick".  Is that the one to order?  Not sure what "non-standard wick" means.  Also, would Premiers be the same wicks from Aztec, to Fillmore Container, to The Flaming Candle Company, etc.?

GoldieMN

Edited by GoldieMN

The Premier 780 wick on Aztec's site says it is "non-standard wick".  Is that the one to order?  Not sure what "non-standard wick" means.  Also, would Premiers be the same wicks from Aztec, to Fillmore Container, to The Flaming Candle Company, etc.?

GoldieMN

I asked Aztec and got this response:

"It is not a wick we normally recommend we only carry very small quantities of them. They are also all 6 ½ inches no matter what the diameter is."

So do I order from another supplier?

GoldieMN

Guest OldGlory

You need to base your wick size on the widest part of your jar. That's your starting point. Then the other factors kick in. I am thinking the small mouth pint canning jar might be 3" at their widest. I don't have any on hand to measure so I could be wrong.

How is the melt pool after 3 hours? And the HT is better with a bigger wick? If you went down a tiny bit would the flame go out half the way down? To get all the other factors right you might have to put up with a mushroom, but I would try going down one size.

Hi again Goldie! I think you might have missed the questions I had for you in this response.

How wide is your pint canning jar at it's widest, not at the top?

With the 780, what does the melt pool look like after 3 hours?

Is the hot throw noticeably better with the bigger wick?

Have you burned one all the way to the bottom with the 780?

Can you post some pictures of different points in the burn so we can help you better?

Premier wicks are Premier wicks. Who did you talk to at Aztec?

Hi again Goldie! I think you might have missed the questions I had for you in this response.

How wide is your pint canning jar at it's widest, not at the top?

With the 780, what does the melt pool look like after 3 hours?

Is the hot throw noticeably better with the bigger wick?

Have you burned one all the way to the bottom with the 780?

Can you post some pictures of different points in the burn so we can help you better?

Premier wicks are Premier wicks. Who did you talk to at Aztec?

Well for heaven's sake, I thought I had responded. Sorry. :(

The jars are 3" at the widest. The 780 melt pool after 3 hours looks good to me: About 1/4" deep and all the way across. Cleans up nicely after each burn so very little left on the sides of the jars. Definitely a much better throw with the larger wick (780 vs 767). There is a large mushroom after 3 hrs. but I can live with that if everything else is good. I will post pictures as I continue testing.

The person who sent me the message was Travis Forrester.

Also taking your advice and checking out smaller, 1/2 pint jars.

Thanks,

GoldieMN

Edited by GoldieMN

Guest OldGlory

No problem Goldie. The more information I have, the better I can help you troubleshoot the problem.

That explains the response. Travis doesn't know much about candles. He's an administrator, not a crafter. You would do better to call and talk to Terri. But don't tell them I said that, lol! She works at full speed all day long.

If the 780 is cleaning the sides of the jar in the first inch or two you may need to go down one more size. But, burn it all the way down and see how it does. Because heat is trapped in the jar, a little bit of hang up on the sides will catch up as it burns down further. Honestly, if you are getting a good hot throw and the jar won't burn someone's hand, you may have a winner.

If everything is going well, I wouldn't worry about a mushroom. Your customers should learn to trim the wicks each time they burn the candle, and trim it if they are burning it for a long time. I will do that - blow out a candle, trim the wick, then relight it.

Sounds like you are narrowing it down. Good job!

• 3 weeks later...

Today's the day! Poured the 1/2 pint jars on June 1, so lighting up today. :) I will take photos as I go along. Starting with a fragrance that I actually blended myself so this may be a short test if I hate the smell.

Also poured a few more fragrances, yesterday. I remember reading somewhere that you should wait a certain number of days before covering them with their lids. Is that correct? Do you wait a few days or cover as soon as they are solid.

GoldieMN

• 5 months later...

I am narrowing down my baby mason jars 8oz as well using premiers. I used a 780 with 464 and the jar was too hot with a big melt pool. I went down to a 775 and this seems to do the trick so far. I have let the candle burn for 4 hours at a time 3 burns in and I still have at least half a jar left. The jar gets a bit hot after 3 to 4 hours but not too bad. Great ht and cleans up very nicely afterwards. Think I found a winner. Thanks old glory for suggesting premier wicks