Homemade room spray

megandgarr

Hi, This is my first time posting in this section of the forum so please forgive my ignorance. Up until now I have only made tarts/melts and aroma ornies. I would like to make a room spray for personal use only (to spray in the air, on carpet, in my car, etc) but if possible I would like to use homemade and/or store bought products to test and see if I like it before placing an order for a pre-mixed linen/room spray base. I used the search feature but since the results left out a huge chunk of time, I am hoping you all can help me...

I found an older recipe which calls for distilled water, witch hazel, FO, and a preservative of choice. Is a preservative necessary if I will only be using this for myself? I dont mind if it is cloudy and I will know to shake before using. If a preservative is necessary, is there something I can buy at the grocery store?

Last question, if I only want to make a small 4 oz bottle, can anyone please provide me with the specific amounts that I should use (distilled water, witch hazel, FO, etc)? Thank you all so much!

Got any vodka? :) This one uses vodka as the preservative, lol

....1 cup vodka. Vodka helps to freshen and preserves the spray, but in a pinch, it’s not necessary. Your house will smell clean even without the alcohol.

Can I ask where you found this? This recipe just seems like an incredibly high FO load. I'm new to the sprays, and just curious.

Thanks,

B

It was a mom-blog type of thing... I didn't even notice, lol. Sorry, I'm so tired....

When I did one, I just used a few drops in a 4 oz bottle and it was plenty.

I use witch hazel, alcohol, and water with 1/4-1/2 oz. of FO or EO in a 12 oz. spray bottle. One drop of dishwashing detergent makes it stay mixed mo' better.

Play with the ingredients - it's not hard...

Two warnings:

go easy on the alcohol 'cause it can mar the finish of some furniture

if you wear glasses, don't spray it anywhere around your head 'cause the stuff builds up on your glasses and is a B*TCH to get off...

(don't ask me how I know this...)

Edited by Stella1952

I never had a problem with bacterial growth in mine, but maybe that was because of the alcohol content... I never put it under a microscope, though... Might have been growing stuff I never knew about... The good part is that no one in the household seemed to have any problem...

Heating and holding the (distilled) water before mixing will help reduce the bacteria, fungus and such, but a broad spectrum preservative is still recommended in any water based spray. I'd sanitize tools used for measuring and mixing too for good measure - even for your own home use.

I use perfumers alcohol in my own formulation but still preserve. Just because you can't see the growths yet doesn't mean they're not there...

I never had a problem with bacterial growth in mine, but maybe that was because of the alcohol content... I never put it under a microscope, though... Might have been growing stuff I never knew about... The good part is that no one in the household seemed to have any problem...

The alcohol would be something that helps.

Good points Tall!

Edited by Scented

Thanks for the input everyone. Since I have seen many mention the use of Vodka (in other posts as well) should I assume that "alcohol" should be interpreted as the liquor store variety as opposed to rubbing alcohol? I just wanted to make sure I head to the correct section of Wally World.

Thanks,

Not rubbing alcohol. Most I think probably recommend vodka or everclear. If you ever got around to selling, you can't sell booze in those things. However, there is a perfumer's alcohol out there and a few others. You might take a look at say snowdrift farms and at their perfumery products.

I use 91% Alcohol from Walgreen, distilled water and scent. 1/2 and 1/2 water and alcohol and a little scent depending on how strong you like it. Shake before using. I hate the scent of witch hazel so can't bring myself to trying it. I wouldn't worry about a 4 oz bottle of room spray going bad, I'm sure you will use it up in no time.

• 4 weeks later...
I use witch hazel, alcohol, and water with 1/4-1/2 oz. of FO or EO in a 12 oz. spray bottle. One drop of dishwashing detergent makes it stay mixed mo' better.

Play with the ingredients - it's not hard...

Two warnings:

go easy on the alcohol 'cause it can mar the finish of some furniture

if you wear glasses, don't spray it anywhere around your head 'cause the stuff builds up on your glasses and is a B*TCH to get off...

(don't ask me how I know this...)

Does the dish soap make it foam when you shake it up?

• 3 weeks later...

So to add to this discussion. We are using distilled water, preservative, polysorbate20 & FO. No alcohol at this stage. Our base however is a milky white colour, rather than clear. Is this due to not using alcohol / witchazel etc. Not that it really matters too much as it is in a brushed aluminium bottle, however if we ever did decide to go with a clear bottle this would obviously be an issue. So I guess the question is how do you get your sprays looking clear rather than cloudy.

Cheers

Richard

So I guess the question is how do you get your sprays looking clear rather than cloudy.

The stuff I make is cloudy, Richard.

Does the dish soap make it foam when you shake it up?

It doesn't really foam, but the detergent helps it stay mixed longer. I don't used a lot of alcohol because of all the wood furniture, etc., but after reading this thread, I think I will use a little preservative to be on the safe side. I make so little at a time, I have never had an obvious issue, but of course, one can't see germs, so I think I'll err on the side of safety and use the preservative next time.

So to add to this discussion. We are using distilled water, preservative, polysorbate20 & FO. No alcohol at this stage. Our base however is a milky white colour, rather than clear. Is this due to not using alcohol / witchazel etc. Not that it really matters too much as it is in a brushed aluminium bottle, however if we ever did decide to go with a clear bottle this would obviously be an issue. So I guess the question is how do you get your sprays looking clear rather than cloudy.

Cheers

Richard

The poly20 is what is making your spray the milky/cloudy color. For my body sprays, I use an EO/FO modifier I got from WSP. This leaves it clear, but you have to use double the amount of the poly. So I just use the colored bottles for my linen spray.