My Fall Fair Pictures & Video

jackbenimble

Hi Friends! I just wanted to share with you my pictures we took of the craft fair i had a booth at yesterday. It wasn't a success money wise but it was a good experience. Not sure if we will do this one again. Let me know what you think and if there are anyways i could improve my table setup. I also included a link to the video on youtube.

post-12305-139458486693_thumb.jpg

Just an edit to this. I did not realize that I was white on white until we took the picture. I'll probably wear a darker colored shirt for the next show.

post-12305-139458486677_thumb.jpg

post-12305-139458486684_thumb.jpg

post-12305-139458486688_thumb.jpg

Edited by jackbenimble

I like the arrangement and everything else BUT the starkness of so much white may be a little much for customers like me. I see a nice green in the banner. Maybe even if you wore a green shirt to be a pop of color. I really like the risers and the L shape. That is the same shape I use for outside shows although I have another small narrow table on the other side. Indoor shows I have found people want to shop from the front of the booth but are more inclined to walk inside when it is an outdoor show. That is my area, of course. Your clientele may be entirely different.

Congratulations on getting the first show behind you. Any show is good practuce starting out. You can cull shows as you get more into the show circuit.

I agree that you need color. I use a black tablecloth and then bright colored single yard material on top of the black to add color to the table (that does not wrinkle). You can also add seasonal flowers as well. My arrangement is L shape but allows them to come up to the table but not into the space. People come up to the table and we sell and show from the table. It has worked greT for us. We are active sellers and do not sit and wait for some one to say I want this. we explain about scents and wax and how to burn their candle. Your set up looks great - just add some color One other suggestion is not to make everything too "precise". People do not want to mess up something someone has worked hard to create. So set a couple of your soaps and candles out like some one has looked at them and set them back down. It's silly, but it works. Let us know how the next one goes. Olive what you are doing!!

I agree with Whisper Girl, you need some color and not so much "preciseness", if that's a word, in your display. Mix things up, set your risers on an angle on the table, set some candles on the table open, etc. Do whatever it you can to make your booth "inviting" and casual.

Find a theme and decorate your booth in that theme. My theme, since all my products are made with beeswax and honey, is of course bees. I had little bees made from jingle bells hanging from my awning, tablecloth weights made to look like bee skeps, etc. It makes for a little extra stuff you have to carry around but can really make your booth stand out and that's the most important part of selling at shows, GET PEOPLE TO YOUR BOOTH!

Edited by beekeeper_sd

Awesome Job!! Love the set up, but do agree about the color/neatness comments. I'd almost be scared to touch anything! Maybe mix in the beautiful soaps to dabble color around? But again, really nice set up - banner - everything looks very professional - you'll have them looking for you in no time!!

Thanks guys for the helpful comments so far. I do want to add color but was concerned there would be too many do-dads or get too busy. I will be thinking about that until the one in November. I see how it looks very precise but it did get messed up through out the day and these pictures were from right after we had set up. We told people know when they came up to touch things and pick up the candles and smell them. The show had not started yet. I like that idea and will try to figure that one out. We do engage the customers and definitely talk to them and about our candles and such. My partner is a very outgoing individual, very A personality, and he helps me alot.

Our next show is indoors at a high school and we happen to be on the end this time but what if we have two crafters on either side of us (and we need two table to showcase all we have) but want to bring the main table forward like like whisper girl suggested? I saw crafters set up both ways. Like ours and also with the L-shape but the main table forward. Maybe I will try this version on the next show.

Edited by jackbenimble

Thanks guys for the helpful comments so far. I do want to add color but was concerned there would be too many do-dads or get too busy. I will be thinking about that until the one in November. I see how it looks very precise but it did get messed up through out the day and these pictures were from right after we had set up. We told people know when they came up to touch things and pick up the candles and smell them. The show had not started yet. I like that idea and will try to figure that one out. We do engage the customers and definitely talk to them and about our candles and such. My partner is a very outgoing individual, very A personality, and he helps me alot.

Our next show is indoors at a high school and we happen to be on the end this time but what if we have two crafters on either side of us (and we need two table to showcase all we have) but want to bring the main table forward like like whisper girl suggested? I saw crafters set up both ways. Like ours and also with the L-shape but the main table forward. Maybe I will try this version on the next show.

After reading your first post, I googled "craft fair setup" & there are quite a few articles about how to do it. I've done them before with other ventures & I wish I would've read these articles beforehand, lol. And when you google images of craft fair setups, you can also see a lot of what-not-to-do... I agree with the needing-more-color to your booth, but I think the neatness looks extremely professional and would lead customers to believe you also are precise in your products ;)

It does look very nice. You can add bits of color with solid color cloth napkins. You can pick them up fairly cheaply, roll them - don't fold them - and they won't wrinkle and you can mix 'n match or set at angles. I would also add some height to the soap table. It doesn't have to be risers...find a short birdbath or a wash basic and pitcher and fill it with soaps. Something that will catch people's eye and get people into your booth.

I always take pictures of my set ups and note the booth size. I have 4' and 5' tables and can figure a set up to work most anywhere. And I will usually do a show twice. If I bomb a second time, I cross it off my list.

While I love the crisp white/black of the set up, most customers may not. Your products are uncolored to begin with and although sleek looking, it does not look that inviting (although your smile does!)

Initially, my set up was exact, clean lines, and I noticed that although I am first to tell people to smell anything they like, they were hesitant. I was asked, " Can I take the lid off to smell this?", which means that my display was not making them feel comfortable because A. they did not feel they were allowed to touch anything, and B., because they did not want to mess anything up.

In terms of show success, my first show I did amazing... later shows were not so great and that was discouraging. Letting people know you are local, make gift baskets for holidays, fundraisers, corporate gifts, weddings, etc.... may help with repeat business.

Glad you had fun; you will learn things at each show! Congrats!

I noticed that although I am first to tell people to smell anything they like, they were hesitant. I was asked, " Can I take the lid off to smell this?", which means that my display was not making them feel comfortable because A. they did not feel they were allowed to touch anything, and B., because they did not want to mess anything up.

In terms of show success, my first show I did amazing... later shows were not so great and that was discouraging. Letting people know you are local, make gift baskets for holidays, fundraisers

Since you brought that up from the picture. We had not opened the bottom jars but right before it started we opened each jars on the bottom row so people could pick up the candles and smell each one. We also let them know we were local, had website, had Christmas/ any occasion gift baskets, would do free delivery in the Atlanta area, and also shipped all over the US (I had serveral people that were out of state, which I didn't expect).

Want to keep it as clean as possible so maybe some lights, or touches of green fabric as other have suggested.

Also I had several complements about how much they liked the fact that me candles were uncolored. Another thing I could try would be to have one of my candles burning there on the table (my partner suggested that one) :-)

Thanks again for the responses! :-) I'm glad I have people to bounce ideas off of.

Edited by jackbenimble

Oh, didn't mean to say you didn't look professional or anything. Your booth does look good just a little to sterile for my taste.

I also used 4' tables. After having bought and used an 8' table I found I had much greater versatility with the 4' tables. I also had two small folding bakers racks and could arrange my booth to fit just about any application. The one thing I found out over the years was that, the closer you get your products to the front of your booth, the better your sales will be.

Oh, didn't mean to say you didn't look professional or anything. Your booth does look good just a little to sterile for my taste.

I know beekeeper. I hope I didn't sound rude. I'm grateful for yours and everyone's else's opinions and help.

Btw- where did you get your bakers racks or inexpensive ones?

I agree on the color. Just going to add that if this was your first time there, don't judge the show by the amount of business you had or didn't have. Learn from this one. While I like your banner, I'm not apt to see it and be drawn to it if I'm in a crowd of people. Any chance of something eyecatching out front? You can still be clean and classy looking. Our tent allows us to have our banner go across the front of it. In a sea of white we needed that something to catch a person's attention down the road etc.

Oh and I was going to say, what we learned our first full year of craft shows was to give that show two years before making a decision on whether we wanted to stay or go somewhere else. Sometimes an area is having a good fiscal year and other times it's slumping etc. In this economy, which is bouncy as best, I would give it another year. In the meantime pick up some more shows and send your partner out there looking at other booths. Have that partner determine what's attractive about it and what isn't. There may be an idea that you can add to your set up and there may not. Sometimes you become friends with your neighbors too. Ask them for an honest opinion also. We learned a lot from several of the neighbors we've had. One is to encourage eye movement or to have a center stage that is inviting and encourages others to browse. It could just be something as simple as not having everything at one level to having more of a centerpiece that might be slightly elevated.

Edited by Scented

What I do to add color to my table is to add a few small decorations and a colored table cover. If it's a fall show I dress it up with those mini pumpkins/gourds with a orange table cover. If it's a Christmas themed show I have a red or green table cover with small christmas decorations. Not saying anything bad about your candles and soaps because I think they are beautiful it's just I noticed through out the years that customers tend to go where there is color is.

Edited by mindy5140

Its not just color. The booth lacks warmth. It appears sterile hospital looking. Don't just add color, add character. Incorporate your logo colors; green & brown into your decor to tie everything together. Add little touches like you put in your home. Your booth reminds me of a blank canvas that needs to be painted.

Your products look very professional and you are as cute as a button. You just need more color and character added and you will attract more customers. Best bet: make your tablecloth a color of your logo. I suggest the brown. Then tie it together with some green touches. It would also look better if your candle labels had your logo and logo colors on them. Your sign and your labels, your biz cards, etc, should all have your logo and logo colors on them. Thats what looks professional. That type of branding is what sells and creates customer confidence.

Edited by Candybee

You all have given me alot to think about. This next show is strictly an arts and crafts show. It has 125 vendors with an estimated attendance of 1500. It's at a well to do public high school. I actually graduated from this high school. Lol!

I really appreciate everyone's advice and helpful tips.

Question- If the show does not say Christmas or Holiday in the title do you think it would be weird to decorate my booth in a Christmas theme or style?