New to candle making and to the forum. :-)

Hello everyone! My name is Jill and I am a stay at home mom of 3. They are now all in school, so while I do transcription from home part-time, I wanted an actual hobby, something I enjoyed doing, besides shopping. :cheesy2: I've always LOVED candles and wanted to try my hand at making my own, but just never got around to it. I finally decided to take the plunge. I love soy candles, so even though I'm reading that they are a lot harder, I'm up for the challenge!

I dove right in, buying a kit about two to three weeks ago off of Ebay. Followed the directions to the T, but was not impressed. I wasn't sure if it was me, the supplies, the directions, etc. I changed the temps to add everything, and they turned out slightly better, but still no cigar, lol. I got frustrated, so I went on Candle Science and bought GB 464 (still don't know what wax was in the kit) and other supplies. I've been making 4 and 8 oz jelly jars using eco 10 wicks, which in all the candles I've tested, seem to burn well, clean sides of the jars, little to no mushrooming. After finding this forum and reading up, I'm learning that the FO can also change to wick you use.

I really wish I would've found this site earlier than I did, but there's no looking back now. I've spent a small fortune on supplies, split between a few orders over the past two weeks. :-) My husband just rolls his eyes at me, but he's supportive of my hobby, so all is well. I figure that I've got plenty to test with, and I enjoy making them and, of course, burning them! He comes home from work and one of the first things I ask him now is, "Can you smell the candle?" HT has been my biggest struggle. Actually, my biggest problem is impatience. I have a really hard time letting them sit to cure. :-)

I wait at least 24 hours, then I light it and let it burn for about an hour. If I can't smell it (after leaving the room and coming back in) then I blow it out, let it cool, put the lid back on and leave it alone a few more days.

Anyhow, before I write a whole book in my very first post, I'm gonna leave it at that for now. I can get pretty talkative, so just yell at me if need be. :-) I'm excited to be here and to continue learning. I've found lots of great info on here already. Now, if I could just listen to most of it and quit being so impatient and buying more stuff that I don't need yet, lol. :-)

Welcome! I don't do soy candles - do pariffin - but there are a LOT of people on this forum that do and you certainly can find tons of good info here! Sounds like you have a good start, because you have a good attitude and know it won't come easy to get that 'perfect' candle you're looking for - but, it's worth it when you do!! Good luck!

Hi Jill!

I am in pretty much the same situation as you! Brand new to candlemaking, and I am also using GB 464 with ECO wicks. The link that rjdaines posted has a lot of good advice that I am currently putting into action, so I will let you know how it goes. Please keep me updated, too! Since we are both using the same wax and wicks, I think we could probably help each other out by sharing our failures, ha!

I wait at least 24 hours, then I light it and let it burn for about an hour. If I can't smell it (after leaving the room and coming back in) then I blow it out, let it cool, put the lid back on and leave it alone a few more days.

Welcome to the hobby! It's a fun one :) I haven't been making candles too long and haven't at all lately because I have a newborn but thought I'd point out that it's best to let your candle burn until it melts out to the glass - if you only burn it an hour (assuming it burns an inch in that hour) it will start tunneling with subsequent burns. I don't know yet if tunneling affects HT but it's a waste of wax at the least.

Good luck with your testing! Enjoy!

Agreed - you need to burn your candles 1 hour per inch of inside diameter per session. It isn't imperative that the candle attain FMP on the first burn, but it usually does so on the second. Curing the candle should take place before you begin burning it. You really won't be able to tell anything about the performance of your candles or the HT the way you are burning them.