Feel like I'm in over my head... what am I doing wrong?

All excellent advice. 100.00 is not much too spend at all. Two things you need a lot of to make candles: money and patience. Take lots and lots of notes of your testing. A year from now you won't remember it all. Unless you can test all day every day, it may be years before you have a lot of scents perfected. Some scents I can wick first try, others I have tried over 20 different combinations of wax, FO percentage, and different type and size of wicks. It is a never ending learning experience. Good luck to you.

Thank you, I am currently curing a candle that had FO added at 180 and poured at 160, so we will see how that goes! And I am pretty clueless in the world of wicks, but why is an ECO-14 so bad? The jars that I have are 3.75 diameter (Yes, it is a total waste of wax for testing and I'm planning to get some smaller jars until I find a combination that works :P)

Yes, the 3.75 are these ones from candlewic: http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c24,p1372&title=16-oz.-Frosted-Glass-Jar-With-Hinge I bought them before I had tried any candle making because it seemed like a good price for such nice jars and I was already going to drive the 45 minutes to pick up my wax and other supplies from candlewic. What size do you (and anyone else) recommend for me to test with when I'm still totally new to this? I did make some candles in votive glasses that I picked up on sale from Michael's, and I was using some small soy wicks that I bought there as well, but when I made those I hadn't read enough about fragrance and was only putting a few drops in... needless to say, they didn't have much of a scent throw :P

Would the votive size be good for testing? Would it be too small to test for a good scent throw or does that not have much to do with the size?

I think the best advice is to test in the containers that you plan to use. Besides my apothecary jars I use the Libbey Status Jars http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/candlecontainers/containers/libbeystatusjars.html. The 8 oz is 2.75" and the 12 oz is 3.125", I would classify them a small and medium room size candles depending on the FO that is in there. The jars you pick are really nice but I would call that an advanced project. Note that my containers are of a uniform diameter, this makes them easier to wick. Containers with a variable shape look more appealing but are harder to wick.

I wouldn't suggest getting smaller jars just for the sake of testing. If you are ever looking at selling. Get the jars you plan on selling, so that you don't have to do another entire round of testing on the jars with entirely NEW wicks that will fit THOSE jars.

You are wasting time, money, and energy if you do it that way.

I started with ECO's too, They may burn well, but they in my experience, are crap for hot throw in 464, I switched to CDN's and have had much greater success with my hot throw in 464.

Also, a note on hot throw. A week MINIMUM....seriously. I KNOW it is difficult to wait that long. But it really is important. While some oils may not throw...you don't want to discount the ones that may leave you pleasantly suprised when they do...and you find that they are keepers.

Now, I pour...put in a box, HIDE THEM, and forget about them...dig them back out, and burn, with MUCH better results, more consistently.

Also, FWIW, when it comes to 464, I pour at a much much lower temp with better aesthetics and better HT, then when I was pouring hotter.

An Eco 14 barley burned my 3", I can't imagine what it is doing with an almost 4" container.

rjdaines, thanks for the advice. Those jars look much easier to work with and make more sense for me. I'll save the rest of my fancy jars for later.

SimpleScentsCandleCo, thank you as well! I don't plan on selling ever, just want to make candles for myself and to give as gifts, but I think your advice still stands to test with the sizes I plan on USING so that I'm testing on the same size wick. As for the ECO's, I actually have not attempted to burn them in the large containers yet. I poured one on Saturday and the other on Sunday, so I'm waiting patiently to burn them this weekend. I will certainly keep in mind what you said, and if the wicks are not burning very well, I'll know I didn't necessarily do something wrong! (besides pick the wrong wick, lol). What temp exactly do you pour at with 464? And going along with that, what temp do you add FO and color?

Edited by emahleem

I'm still testing wicks with the 464...but I'm with the previous posts-ECO's are not my first or second choice with this wax. Call or email WickIt, they will send you out a very generous supply of different series wicks for only a $5 shipping charge. Your jar is too large for the ECO 14 and you probably will be disappointed by the burn and ht of it. SimpleScents is right about lower pouring temps for the 464 as well, the tops are smoother-I always got sink holes around wick with higher pouring temps. I can't help you with dye because I've chosen to work with this wax au naturale ; )...don't like frosting!

I wouldn't suggest getting smaller jars just for the sake of testing. If you are ever looking at selling. Get the jars you plan on selling, so that you don't have to do another entire round of testing on the jars with entirely NEW wicks that will fit THOSE jars.

The reason I suggest smaller, easier to wick jars to noobs is for learning purposes. When people start out choosing larger, more expensive jars, it gets pretty frustrating and expensive to learn how to pour a decent candle. Once one learns HOW, it goes a lot more easily in the future, in my experience. I do agree, however, if one is testing to SELL, you should be doing that in the container you plan to use for your product. I still test new FOs in smaller containers to conserve materials & time, but I have more experience with what to expect ... If I can't get a FO to throw or burn correctly in my smaller containers, there's no chance I'm gonna pour a big one with the same stuff!! I use the 4 oz JJs or the 8 oz. widemouth canning jars to test. I know both of those containers inside out and what to expect from my wax, wicks & throw... it doesn't take me days to test a new FO in either one... If the sample is pleasing, THEN I'll order more and check it out in the various sizes of containers I use.

Also, a note on hot throw. A week MINIMUM....seriously.

I completely agree about waiting a full week to test HT in soy and palm waxes. I KNOW this isn't everyone's opinion, but it's what worked best for me overall. It's worth the wait or I wouldn't do it.

I always got sink holes around wick with higher pouring temps

The tops are cooling too fast or the bottoms are cooling too slowly when that happens... slow down and even out the cooling to prevent this. FO is far more of an issue with causing frosting than is dye... The frosting may SHOW more because of the dye, but it's still there. Tempering the wax may help as well as using USA to stabilize the crystals.

Stella, I wish I could watch you make candles and have you explain everything as you do it. You should consider making instructional videos... I bet people would pay to "enroll" in an online video class. I would!

But I know I have to just keep testing, testing, testing. I am going to email WickIt and ask for the sample pack, and Candlewic has a case of 11oz Libbey Rock Tumblers (36 for $27.75... comes out to $0.77 per jar). Those are relatively small, but big enough that I would be happy making that size to use until I decide I'm ready to test with a larger container. Or maybe not, who knows.

Stella, I wish I could watch you make candles and have you explain everything as you do it. You should consider making instructional videos...

OMG, now THAT'S a truly scary thought!! I make AWFUL faces when I'm working on stuff and I shuffle around muttering to myself... and when things don't work out - the LANGUAGE!!! *faint* :embarasse :whistle:

You are very kind, but I honestly think it's better for folks to find their own way through... What works for me might be way awkward for someone else... Besides, I'd have to clean up my candle room... :shocked2:

those tumblers are still 3 1/8" diameter

Try a CD 14 & 16 in those - one of 'em should work. Burn for 3 hours each session and don't make any judgments until they have burned to the end (1/2"). And of course, we'd LOVE to see photos... :smiley2:

Haha, I'm the same way. I just made a 16 oz tin of CS Pumpkin Soufflé, before reading about all the wicking issues with that scent....grr. I can tell ya, the cold throw is enough to scent up my front two rooms (420 sq feet). I've read that this scent works well in soy, so I think I'm just going to wait until Saturday to do my test burn to test the wicks. I have a feeling I'll need to up the wicks after all I've read. I'm using GB464 and I double wicked with Eco 4's....thinking I should've tried the Eco 6's at least with this FO. Oh well, you live and learn. Either way, it smells amazing and it won't go to waste. If these wicks are a dud, I'll just scoop it out and put it in my tart burner. :-) Love this scent!