No more perfection worries for me....

classiccandle

My wife and I went to a rather large craft show today that's held annually at one of the high schools in our area and I was shocked, shocked, at the quality of the tarts/melts that the vendors were selling. Even the candles were subpar and what was more shocking, if that's possible, was that the buyers didn't seem to care! One particular vendors tarts/melts were in the six cavity clamshell and they weren't even filled to the top, almost all of them had cavities that looked like they were caving in, and some were cracked and almost falling out of the clamshell and it seemed the ladies standing around smelling them couldn't have cared less!

There was a Scentsy rep there and I popped open a few of their bricks and old clamshell melts and they too looked awful but that didn't stop the crowd of people around their table from buying. Another vendor was selling the clamshell tarts/melts and massage candles and was using a heat gun to smooth out the tops of his candles when we walked up to the table. The wicks in both of the candles he had burning had to be almost 3/4 of an inch long! Have I said how shocked I was?

All this time I've been concerned with making my products look just perfect (smooth tops, minimal frosting, filled to the rim of the clamshell) and if they weren't perfect I wouldn't sell them, and it seems the only thing the buyers are concerned with is how good they smell. After seeing this I will still work on making my products the best I can but no longer will I worry if I have one small flaw in my products because it seems the buyers just don't care. Have you experienced this?

Don't know if you noticed, but I believe Yank-- Candles are no longer what they used to be. Went to a local shop where they sell them, and thought they were poorly made. However, I ended up buying 2 container candles; after all, I didn't want to pass judgment just by looking at them. In one word: lousy. Not much scent throw at all and bad tunneling :-(

I guess when the Company chose to have them crafted in China, quality went down the sewer line, lol

Edited by Ravens
spelling

After seeing this I will still work on making my products the best I can but no longer will I worry if I have one small flaw in my products

It's quite common for us as home chandlers to be overcritical of our products. Perfectionism can be taken too far. I think your attitude adjustment is a healthy one. I bet your stuff will STILL be better looking than the competition!! Good luck!!

It amazes me everyday - not only in stores, but on line too. I know I am one of those that is overcritical on my stuff, but I just can't imagine selling anything less than I would expect, even if most of the buyers are ignorant to the difference! No, you aren't alone! ;0)

I am new to making candles, and I recently took a look at Yank-- Candles, and I was shocked!! I was not impressed with the look or smell of the candles, and can't imagine why people would pay $25 for such crap. I think people are buying them because of the name, I can't see any other reason why they would waste their hard earned dollar. It's a shame small businesses that strive to give the public a good product for their money, is overshadowed by bigger companies that could care less

Edited by cswilson