Some of my recent soaps...

Stella1952

THANKS, y'all, for the kind words. I'm so new at soapmaking (January this year), I can tell you the total number of batches I've made (23) ROTFLMAO!! Couldn't even begin to remember how many batches of candles, but I remember every batch of soap thus far! These smell so good - it's so HARD to keep my hands off them... and they make the house smell wonderful while they are curing! I have GOT to lay off the soapies to make some candles, though, or I'm gonna piss a lot of folks off for Christmas...

Am I seeing the use of pet food containers for molds?

On the salt bars, you betcha, Steve! I'm a "found" mold gal... The first soap was cast in a Gold Peak Tea box lined with saran wrap; the second one was cast in an old plastic ice bucket, and the salt bars were made from little dog food trays my friend saves for me. She also saves Crystal Light containers for me which make perfect guest-sized oval bars. I have some Domino's boxes (the ones that the breadsticks come it) lined with freezer paper waiting for me when I get home from work. ;)

Edited by Stella1952

WOW!!! Those John Lennon ones are super awesome!!! I've never seen anything like that!!

There are some decorative techniques one can use for making cool lookin' soaps. LOADS of YouTube videos of folks performing these colorful acts! This is a variation of the column swirl, except I poured the different layers of colored soap directly into the soap and not onto a column, if that helps. The depth of the layer & color is varied by the height from which one pours (higher = deeper). The top of the soap was not pleasing (looked like psychedelic spew), but when I trimmed off the top, the more pleasing design underneath was revealed.

Is that ash on the John Lennon ones or white? Either way, the design is great! Hope Yoko doesn't mind the use of his name lol. It fits.

It's white - uncolored. None of those show te top of the soap, which was UGLY, not with ash, but the colors & patterns. Those bars are after trimming the top, bottom & sides from the loaf. The colors ended up looking like grainy photos rather than distinct lines - not exactly what I was gong for, but cool looking nonetheless.

The Old Goat Soap has darkened CONSIDERABLY since the photo was taken. It's all chocolatey now with vague coloring. I figured that would happen with the FO I used and the goat milk...

Yoko can bite me. Never did much like that screechy woman... but she's done a good job at managing John's estate so I guess she's on the right page even if her music sucks swamp gas. LOLOL

Edited by Stella1952

I'm scared to try soap. What gave you the push to try it and how hard is it compared to candles?

I have always been interested in soapmaking, but resisted going over to the dark side because it takes a lot of study and I was concentrating on candles. One of my candlemaking friends started making soap and it seemed like she was having more fun than I was, so I broke down in January this year...

I think it's perhaps more complex than candlemaking and you have to wait a lot longer to sell products because of the cure times necessary. Read up on it here in the forums and watch some YouTubes on CP soapmaking. If you're too chicken to try CP or HP soap, start with M&P.

Because I only make veggie wax candles, the frustration of getting everything "just right" wasn't new to me and I actually enjoy the challenge and tedium. I work in many other media, so using scary chemicals and stuff didn't faze me. The painterly techniques used in making cool looking soaps really appeal to me. The best part is that even when something messes up or doesn't turn out as planned, I can either rebatch it or use it in another way. I haven't had to throw out a batch yet.

I really enjoy formulating and scenting my own soap to suit my tastes instead of settling for the choices on the shelf. People always told me that if I ever got into making my own soap, I'd never buy another commercial bar again. I thought that was a bunch of hooey, but they were right: homemade soap is THAT much better. I really enjoy seeing my customers & friends walk around snuffling on soap, stroking their skin and raving about how much they enjoy using the soapies. So now they can light one of my candles, put it in one of my handmade candle holders, hit the tub with one of my soaps, kick back and enjoy the experience. I guess I should start making wine so they can enjoy a glass of that at the same time ROTFMAO!!!

Give it a try - as much as you enjoy candlemaking, I think you'd enjoy this. After Christmas is a great time because the big holiday push is over and it's a cool way to start the new year. AND, yes, it's HIGHLY addictive.

I have always been interested in soapmaking, but resisted going over to the dark side because it takes a lot of study and I was concentrating on candles. One of my candlemaking friends started making soap and it seemed like she was having more fun than I was, so I broke down in January this year...

I think it's perhaps more complex than candlemaking and you have to wait a lot longer to sell products because of the cure times necessary. Read up on it here in the forums and watch some YouTubes on CP soapmaking. If you're too chicken to try CP or HP soap, start with M&P.

Because I only make veggie wax candles, the frustration of getting everything "just right" wasn't new to me and I actually enjoy the challenge and tedium. I work in many other media, so using scary chemicals and stuff didn't faze me. The painterly techniques used in making cool looking soaps really appeal to me. The best part is that even when something messes up or doesn't turn out as planned, I can either rebatch it or use it in another way. I haven't had to throw out a batch yet.

I really enjoy formulating and scenting my own soap to suit my tastes instead of settling for the choices on the shelf. People always told me that if I ever got into making my own soap, I'd never buy another commercial bar again. I thought that was a bunch of hooey, but they were right: homemade soap is THAT much better. I really enjoy seeing my customers & friends walk around snuffling on soap, stroking their skin and raving about how much they enjoy using the soapies. So now they can light one of my candles, put it in one of my handmade candle holders, hit the tub with one of my soaps, kick back and enjoy the experience. I guess I should start making wine so they can enjoy a glass of that at the same time ROTFMAO!!!

Give it a try - as much as you enjoy candlemaking, I think you'd enjoy this. After Christmas is a great time because the big holiday push is over and it's a cool way to start the new year. AND, yes, it's HIGHLY addictive.

Thank you, Stella. I might just have to give it a try. Commercial scented soap makes me sneeze, and DH too. Plus it always dries out the skin. I am not terribly coordinated, so I have been afraid of the lye. But after we get done rebuilding this house we bought, maybe I'll give it a try. Lots of reading to do! Now, about that wine.... DH makes wine! It is much easier than they say and you don't need all that junk the books tell you. Fruit, sugar, good wine yeast, grape leaves, clean water, a bucket, a carboy and a bubbler and you are in business. Right now we have 10 gallons of mango wine stored in the bedroom (no place else to put it) and 10 more cooking in the living room. He makes wine out of all kinds of stuff. Wild grapes, lemons, oranges, mangos, whatever we can get our hands on. Give it a try, it is easier than it looks. Now me, I like making pickles and that is really challenging, harder than candles I think because timing is so critical. Maybe I can make soap.... Hmmmm