Anyone Else Use Soap Clamshells?

Alajane

I don't sell much soap, as you can tell by how long it's been since I last ordered these. I like the clamshells for ease of use at shows and was going to order 100 from WSP. I checked the website and they're now $45.33 for 100--my last order was a little less than a year ago and the price was $20.00 for 100. The price has more than doubled in less than a year.

Anyone know of somewhere else more reasonably priced to get these? I could go back to wrapping, but just love the ease of clamshells.

TIA,

Jane

I was tempted to use the clamshells so I once bought a couple to sample. A big problem I have with them is I make soap in large quantities and can't wait for the soap temp to cool enough to pour into the clamshells. They warped when I tried them so I knew it wouldn't work for me.

Also, I just don't like the clamshell look as much as I do my own packaging. It looks plain and unappealing to me then I think my customers would feel the same.

I do like the idea of the simplicity of using them. But it takes away that handmade look and tends to look like a plain old commercial soap. JMO

• 2 weeks later...

Maggie, thanks for finding that link! I believe I'm going to go with sliced loaves wrapped in pretty paper. They definitely look more hand-crafted and may sell better. I really like the clamshells when I'm doing outdoor shows, but won't have any more of those until spring.

I really appreciate you hunting down that link for me, though!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, ah-soy, for that link. I believe that's where I bought the first ones I ever got--like you, I got them for goldfish soap years ago. I had forgotten about that place. I was very happy with the way my sliced and wrapped soaps turned out. If I can remember to take a picture, I'll post; they were my favorite soaps ever.

I use the clamshells & they are fantastic. I wholesale quite a bit& the clear packaging allows the merchants to display the soaps & their customers are able to see what they are getting. It's great if you want a modern streamline feel.

To answer the question, Brambleberry has them much less than WSP does now that prices over there have rocketted.

• 1 month later...
I don't sell much soap, as you can tell by how long it's been since I last ordered these. I like the clamshells for ease of use at shows and was going to order 100 from WSP. I checked the website and they're now $45.33 for 100--my last order was a little less than a year ago and the price was $20.00 for 100. The price has more than doubled in less than a year.

Anyone know of somewhere else more reasonably priced to get these? I could go back to wrapping, but just love the ease of clamshells.

TIA,

Jane

Here's a supplier of all kinds of clamshells, both stock and custom designs; and this is their clamshell finder page: http://www.eclamshell.com/search.asp Someone posted a link to this company in a thread about tart clamshells, and they were the cheapest source of clamshells, like 15 cents each.

I've been ordering my clamshells for tarts from eclamshell for a few months--love their price!! But since I don't sell a lot of soap, I can't imagine using a whole case of that size, plus I really prefer the oval soap clamshell from WSP instead of the rectangular--I still have several of the rectangular left, but they make such a large bar of soap I have trouble holding it. Since I don't sell a lot, I've decided to go back to the sliced log because I really prefer the looks of that and I've started selling at an indoor market, so I don't have to worry about the soap getting dirty at outside shows.