Beeswax Candles

I am wanting to start doing beeswax candles to add to my line. I have had a lot of requests for these from my customers. Can anyone suggest some good sites for instructions etc.... I seem to be coming up empty for the complete info I am looking for. Thanks for your help in advance. Cindy

Most sites show you making candles from the beeswax sheets. Betterbee http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1707 has a kit to make beeswax candles, but's it pricey.

I've been making beeswax votives, pillars and tapers for several years now and it's basically the same as regular candles, test, test and test. Beeswax is a sticky wax and better suited for stand alone candles......you can make containers, but the wax burns hotter and could cause your glass jars to break. So you really need to test, if this is the route you want to take.

I use a mold release in my wax and spray my molds with a silicone spray and have no problems getting them out. You could also probably use pam, but wipe the mold after you spray, so there isn't an excess on the mold. Silicone molds are excellent for beeswax also. For my votives I use an LX14 for unscented and sometimes an LX16 if I have a heavier FO. For my 3" pillars I usually use square braid #2 or #3 depending on scented or unscented.

In the cooler weather, I like my beeswax to cool slower, as they tend to crack if cooled too fast. You can preheat an oven to a warm setting, turn it off and put your candles on a cookie sheet in the oven. They cool slow and come out great.

Hopefully someone else will pipe in with their way of doing beeswax or something I may have forgotten. Have fun!! :cool2:

It intimidated me! I've got 40#s of beeswax from a neighbor that I've filtered and filtered....

I tried everything when using my aluminum and metal molds, and still had pillars stick. Plus what was weird, they always stuck on one side. 3/4s would release, 1/4 would stick. In an oven, still stuck on one side. I was jinxed.

And I could never get it filtered enough to get a good burn, even using square braid.