Large Show Question

kandlekrazy

I walked into a relatively large show on Saturday and of course there was a candle display just inside the door. They were soy (or a blend) and in Ball/Mason jars and uncolored. I was very impressed with the rather large display so starting looking at the candles. I opened 6 different candles and every one of them had a problem...wick not centered, large hole in candle either in side or near wick, or those infamous circular cracks around the wick.

Question? When you do large shows do you get to the point that you just don't care

about quality? My sister, who doesn't make candles said she as a consumer would have

bought an 8 oz candle for $12.00, but I never would if they looked like that. Even before I made candles I wouldn't purchase ones that looked bad. This isn't the first large show I noticed this at. It seems at the smaller shows the quality is better...at least in my area.

I'm with you - I won't touch that stuff! But, I don't know that it's so much the size of the show as the seller. I find stuff like that every day on Etsy or Ebay - and from shops that have lots of sales!!! Never ceases to amaze me. I'll never sell anything like that - no matter how big it gets! ((here's hoping it gets big - lol ))

I bet you all would have bought a candle if it smelled really good. All this other stuff came after you started studying them.

Maybe - back in the 1960's. But, I was lucky - when I started wanting candles my parents demanded I was educated and could speak to safety before I was allowed to have them, so my studying started early! ;0)

Not care about quality???? No matter how large or small of show the quality of my products remains the same.... We do many large shows a year.. attendance of over 50,000 per event...

Our booth is always full with customers, new and repeat customers. Repeat buyers are what keep our business going strong which has contributed greaty to the success of our business.... Any business would be hanging themselves by not offering the best quality of products they can. Maybe I take more pride than some in what I produce...I dunno. We are not a one hit wonder type of company... you buy from us, you'll be back and we know it.

If people want to market crap, it's their choice and they won't last long in the biz....

For those of us who know that our business is a reflection of who we are, continue to make high quality products and our buyers keep coming back for them. We have been in business for over 12 years and have continued to grow during that time. Growing enough to the point I could quit both my fulltime job as a nurse, and a part time job doing data entry PLUS finish raising my children through high school and having their college expenses paid (whatever grants and scholarships didn't cover) before they graduated... Then again, they had to work in the biz for that luxury... :)

This has been a very lucrative business for me. I pride myself on bringing new,innovative and high quality products out every year. I pride myself on making and creating the finest in products. My customer base is always looking for the next new thing they can buy from me... and every year I have it.

Stop by that show next year... that candle seller probably won't be there... :laugh2:

I agree with SherriLynn. I don't think the size of the show EVER matters when it comes to quality. Alot of the same people will be at the smaller shows as well as the larger ones. I see some of the same people at multiple shows all year. Many of them come just looking for us (or atleast that's what they say :) ) Before I started making no way would I spend money on a candle where the wick was out of whack or with the big holes around the wick. Occasionally I get a small hole and I have to fix it. Sometimes it's so small people may not even notice it, but I do so it surely gets fixed. Quality speaks loudly and if the quality is lacking people will go elsewhere and those sellers will be gone before you know it.

Sharon

I agree to some extent. If I saw I small hole way back before I made candles, I would buy the candle if it smelled good because I didn't know a small hole on top could possibly be a huge air pocket underneath. But I would never buy a hand made candle with cracks in the top or the wick way off centered...ever! I also would not be a repeat customer if the candle caved in from an air pocket.