Store front prices

dcroome2005

:shocked2: Holy crapola- I need to get the heck out of living in a tourist trap ( Virginia Beach)

I'm no where near ready for a store front and not sure if I really ever want to have one ( since we are going to be starting the adoption process for a baby next year) but.. curiousity got the best of me and I called some companies and malls around the area just for some pricing .

One strip mall mall 2 blocks away that has my grocery store has a 1800sq ft one for rent.. $3200.00 a month. :lipsrseal Maybe this is the norm and I just didnt have a clue so I am shocked.

The mall here -- For a KIOSK- $3500.00 a month for November/December and then $ 1400.00 a month from Jan- October. That is also for a NON PRIME location in the mall.

I told my husband I rather move to another house- get a bigger yard and build me a warehouse that I can make my stuff out there and have electric for air/heat and just continue to make and sell the way I have been doing.

Are these prices normal or is it because of where I live?

Christina

Premium retail space comes at premium prices. The more "touristy" areas will be more expensive because of the numbers of shoppers. Malls will be more expensive for the same reason. Many towns have funky artsy areas where a shop or booth space is less expensive. Generally, the more traffic an area has, the more the rent's gonna be... Many folks opt for crafts malls, booth space etc. so they don't have to be responsibile for such high costs. It's also wise to approach wholesale accounts where you can set up a product display without sharing the cost of the whole business location. I personally avoid consignment sales deals because they are usually too weighted on behalf of the store owner and leave the consignee twisting in the wind. HTH

A friend of mine just leased (3 months) a space in a renovated Victorian home for his new store. $300/month for a space (a 20x30 room). The house has 6 stores, 3 on the lower level and 3 on the 2nd floor and it's on the main street in town. The area has people coming in from all over the tri-state area for the Fall foliage and winter months. It's a small town, but it's a touristy town.

Where I live (about 40 minutes from the touristy town), strip mall type spaces are going for about $900/month along a main state highway. I have come to the conclusion that it probably would be more cost efficient to renovate my 2 car garage into a small shop, then lease office or store front space from someone else. But for right now, I'm happy doing local craft shows.

Hey Christina, I can't comment on the prices of retail space but I wanted to say congrats on pursuing adoption. My hubby and I just had our homestudy approved. We are adopting too. We are considering adopting a sibling group of 3 girls. 7, 5 and 3.

Yah.. I am definetly not going to do it. I am not looking to be a millionaire even though I would love to see one of us knock out Yankee.. Just don't think it will be me. I am not creative enough and I have " issues" LOL .. I do this because I enjoy it. If I can just get a steady income every month and not be in the red, I would be happy. I think having a store front would take the fun away from it for me. I would have to be there every day. If I get sick or dont feel like working- I can't just say " I'm not going in". I can do that out of the comfort of my house. Maybe just get a little workshop going for me here and I would be happy. With my back and neck issues- I just think it would be too much on me. As much as I am sure its fun to own a shop as well and meet so many people and have a place you call " yours".. I think it takes someone strong and POWERFUL to run one.. I am just not that person.

I give credit to all shop owners who run their stores outside of their house. It takes amazing skills and guts to go out like that.. I think I will stick to my house ..

My mom had a good point.. She said " Do you want to be like Yankee and make millions of dollars". I said well sure, but that won't ever happen. She said , do you know that you pride yourself on being home-made and making each candle yourself? I was like umm YA.. She is like- if you get as big as Yankee- you wont be making them yourself and it wont have the heart in it . She is so right about it. At least for me. I am not sure I would want someone else or a machine making my candles for my customers. I enjoy doing it myself.

But will someone go famous and take Yankee out pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :)

Not sure if Grumpy Girl post on here anymore but I am still friends with her on Facebook and still support her in her biz . I think if anyone could do it- It would be her. :) Just saying :)

Ok- off my soap box :) I mean candle box :) hhehehe

The mall here -- For a KIOSK- $3500.00 a month for November/December and then $ 1400.00 a month from Jan- October. That is also for a NON PRIME location in the mall.

Here is where I laugh. We were looking for kiosk pricing at our mall, for a spot during the holidays... ready...?

$25k a month. Yup, a $25,000 a month! For a kiosk. Needless to say we clearly found out we were waayyy small fish in that sea...

Here is where I laugh. We were looking for kiosk pricing at our mall, for a spot during the holidays... ready...?

$25k a month. Yup, a $25,000 a month! For a kiosk. Needless to say we clearly found out we were waayyy small fish in that sea...

Gee... & our economy sucks why...... that is so aggravating to hear.:mad: