E-mail Scammer

CatlinPM

I apologize for the long winded post ahead of time, I'm really unsure of how to respond to this email i got which is clearly a scam. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the actual e-mail message so I will just reference what this person is saying.

The person says she went to mommas farmers market last week and bought candles from us. This market is a once a month market on the 3rd Saturday of every month, so we weren't there last week. Also she says she bought pillars.... we don't have pillars at any of our markets, only on our website. She says two of her lavender vanilla jar candles were broken.... the last time we were at this market we didn't bring lavender vanilla. Lastly she says that the people at the booth told her they could not do anything and to take it up with the company :cheesy2:, I was at the booth, I didn't have anyone complain about anything let alone glass breakage, and since I am the owner I definitely would not have told her to "take it up with the company" So clearly a scammer, but how should I respond?

I thought of asking her to return the broken candles (which clearly don't exist) and I would replace them, that seems like the "professional" thing to do, but I also really have the urge to call her out. What would you do?

You could respond confirming that she has the right candle company then ask for the items to be returned. Just state when you would be back at the farmers market and tell her to bring the merchandise there with the sales receipt, play it up saying you are so sorry and see what the reaction is.

Wait.. Did she say she bought a lavender pillar and the glass broke?? Tell her she must be thinking of " The Perfect Pillar" from Yankee. HAHAHAHA If you know you were not there and that you didnt sell that candle-- then you obviously know its a scam.. Tell them to show proof :) These scammers must think we are idiots! Good Luck

She said the "lavender vanilla jar candles were broken."

Not sure what I would do either. Best thing is to ignore her. But personally I would be too curious and reply back to her to bring me the candles in question to the market so you can replace them for her. If shes a scammer (most likely) she will disappear. If she brings you the candles to the market you can look at them and decide what to do. I replace items if the customer is legit. Its possible she is just confused and doesn't remember the time or date of her purchase. Most scammers don't like to "appear" in person if you know what I mean.

Edited by Candybee

As a person that has been scammed in my primary business, secondhand furniture, I would ask her to bring the items back to you and apologise, just in case. I am sure she is a scammer but my reputation and yours is worth taking a risk. As the others have said if its a scam she will go away.

Hope I helped. Thanks, Joy