My first hurricane!

cybersix

Finally I tryed hurricanes.

This was made in a 4"x4" round mold, but I won't tell you why... it's actually a dwarf hurricane.

I'm testing it with a tea light and all seems fine, but I wanted to ask you how do you get a smooth interior? what I have is a rippled surface, is it normal?

Thanks for looking!

post-1267-139458389071_thumb.jpg

It's very pretty, even if it is short, still looks great.

The way I get it smooth inside is to slowly take my mold out of the water bath and pour the remaining wax smoothly back into my presto pot. I found if I pour it out to fast, by just dumping, it makes a mess, and if I do it to slow I end up with lines from the pour. HTH

You can use almost anything for weight. Even canned food would work, just put something flat across the top of the mold and add your canned food.

I checked mine by filling the mold with water, then putting it into the water bath to see just how much weight I would need. I use 2 pieces of iron, it's small and heavy.

Very pretty Sabrina.....I have lead ropes that go around the bottom of my tin molds....for aluminum....I just use wrenches on top....then after I pour the wax out, I use my heat gun and it comes out perfectly smooth. Merry Christmas, Donita

Terriffic job on your first! For myself, I don't use weights in the water bath. If the water isn't any higher then the level of wax in the mold, it just sits in the bottom of the bucket. My water is usually about 1/2" shallower than the wax though. As for smoothing the inside, once it's unmolded, I zap the inside. Keeping the gun moving slow and steady though, so I don't end up with gaps in it. Most of the wax I pour out, but after the last pour and zap to smooth, I let the excess settle and harden. Makes a nice sturdy base.

Your Christmas Star hurricane looks great. I set a container with some chain in on top of my mold for my weight. Then I use a table knife to smooth the top and sides after pouring out the wax. And like Donita I use my heat gun to smooth the bottom. Can't wait to see your next one.

Finally I tryed hurricanes.

This was made in a 4"x4" round mold, but I won't tell you why... it's actually a dwarf hurricane.

I'm testing it with a tea light and all seems fine, but I wanted to ask you how do you get a smooth interior? what I have is a rippled surface, is it normal?

Thanks for looking!

That came out nice. I like the size. The inside should be smoother when you use a water bath. I don't normally feel the need to do any further work on it.

Hi SatinDucky,

I thought about doing as you say, but I didn't do it because I thought that if water doesn't arrive above the level of wax I could get some differences in the surface of the 'cane..

But I was wrong!

The next time I'll try!

Terriffic job on your first! For myself, I don't use weights in the water bath. If the water isn't any higher then the level of wax in the mold, it just sits in the bottom of the bucket. My water is usually about 1/2" shallower than the wax though. As for smoothing the inside, once it's unmolded, I zap the inside. Keeping the gun moving slow and steady though, so I don't end up with gaps in it. Most of the wax I pour out, but after the last pour and zap to smooth, I let the excess settle and harden. Makes a nice sturdy base.