Double boiler on a gas stove?

I have only been making candles for a couple months now but before I started, I read as much as possible about the process. One thing that was stressed and reiterated was to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use a gas stove - only electric.

For this reason, I have been melting and mixing color and/or FO in my presto pot. It's been working well but I would really like to put a spigot on my presto and use it just for melting. It gets a bit tiring having to clean out my presto every time I change what I'm pouring.

Does anyone use a gas stove?

Should I invest in a hot plate?

Any recommendations for one?

I have electric stove and still use a separate burner. I would hate to get my regular stove all dirty and have to clean it up all the time. I'm good at spilling dye and all kinds of other stuff. anyways.....the little $5 burners from wal-mart work great and have lasted much longer than my $25 one from the hardware store. :confused: go figure!

Yup yup.. I used gas for years until I opened up shop. Had an electric stove there, and had 3 small fires. Never had a fire with the gas stove. Just be careful no matter what you choose!

Bunny, you've had fires with electric but not gas? Sounds like the opposite of what I've read. :undecided

I used a gas stove with a double boiler and never had problems with it. Sometimes, little bits of wax that had mixed in with the water would shoot out and contact the flame....but they'd burn up almost instantly. I might see a miniscule flash and hear a 'crackle' sound, but it was so small and happened so quickly that it never appeared threatening.

Honestly, the worst part about using a gas stove was the clean-up (since there were nooks and crannies to get around). My current flat-top stove is so much easier to clean. However, if some wax gets on the burner it will just sit there and slowly burn up. One time I filled my kitchen with a haze of smoke...and that never happened with the gas stove.