Palm Oil RBD???

icecold

They would send you what you ordered, but isn't the palm oil you just got a solid? Did you not get the no stir kind? If you didn't, then you'll need to stir what you got to make sure it is completely blended before you use it.

Edited by Scented

You don't have to stir the no stir kind (soaper's choice specifically says it's a no-stir palm). If you've got a complete liquid, I really can't answer that one. I would suggest looking in the bottle to make sure there's nothing on the bottom though. If there is that needs to be incorporated in the rest of the oil before you use it. Call and talk to Mike at Soaper's Choice too though. He's awesome!

Thanks Scented! I actually called them and they said it it must have melted during shipping so I opened it up and stirred it like crazy and portioned it out into baggies. I put them outside as it is a little cool out so I am hoping that they solidify so I can store them. I am actually glad it was melted as I have no idea how I would ever melt a 50 # pail.

Refined, bleached, deodorized palm oil

Palm oil products are made using milling and refining processes: first using fractionation, with crystallization and separation processes to obtain solid (stearin), and liquid (olein) fractions. Then melting and degumming removes impurities. Then the oil is filtered and bleached. Next, physical refining removes smells and coloration, to produce refined bleached deodorized palm oil, or RBDPO, and free sheer fatty acids, which are used as an important raw material in the manufacture of soaps, washing powder and other hygiene and personal care products. RBDPO is the basic oil product sold on the world's commodity markets, although many companies fractionate it further into palm olein, for cooking oil or other products.[26] You got the good stuff and it often melts in hot weather during shipment. Most soapers order it during cooler times of the year and often buy it by co-op. That's a lot of palm oil, happy soaping. HTH

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I've used RBD for years with no trouble. The soap made with it is as hard as with any other palm.

Since it melted during shipment it would be wise to make sure you stir it very well before measuring off some for making soap. If it cools and solidifies on its own without votation a good bit of the stearic is likely to settle toward the bottom of the container. Soapers Choice recommends melting and stirring before each use. I have to admit I don't do that once it's been melted and votated (stirred) throughout the cool down in the 50lb pail.

I agree with others that the homogenized in the cube is easier to cut off portions to use. It's also a plus not having to melt and stir.

So are you saying after it melts and you stir and it hardens it is ok to just scoop and use? I did portion a bunch out in baggies but now I need more so I don't know if I have to melt the whole thing down again or not. I hope not! Thanks everyone for all the input on this subject.

I stir as it hardens to make sure the stearic is dispersed as it cools. I don't just stir at the start and walk away. it takes a good bit of time depending on the ambient temp. Then I just scoop and use after.

If the workshop gets hot enough to melt the pail into a slurry I'll stir again before pulling from the pail so the stearic doesn't settle to the bottom.

You may be fine without remelting. If you have different proportions of stearic in your different pails you may notice some batches are harder than others. You may notice no difference at all. If you do happen to notice a big difference, then you'll know to remelt and stir.

I'd have a tendency to mix stuff from the first bags I filled with stuff from the last bags filled... That way if some of the components did settle, you'll be remixing them with the part of the bucket that was from the top... IOW, I would take part of the total amount from two sepearte bags. Does this make sense or am I overcomplicating things?