Is it safe to use Potpourri fragrance oils to scent candles?

Hi,

I was in Hobby Lobby the other day looking at candle/potpourri/diffuser stuff and I just started to wonder if I could use their potpourri fragrances to scent my candles? When I compare the potpourri fragrance oils to fragrance oils that particularly say they're for candles they smell the same. They're also made by the same company, and the potpourri oil doesn't say not to use it in candles. There's no ingredient list either.

The main reason I'm asking is because it'll end up costing me a lot less to make the candles if I can use the potpourri oils instead. It's like $2.99 for 1/2 a fluid ounce of "fragrance oil" and $2.99 or $3.99 for 16 fluid ounces of "potpourri fragrance oil".

Thanks,

Hannah

Those oils may be cut with DPG or some other ingredient. Unless the specifically say "for use in candles or candlemaking" I would not use. They may not have any throw power once in the wax and worse yet they may clog the wick and drown out the candle.

You want to use quality FOs in your candles and only FOs made for candlemaking say that on the label.

The other exception is Essential Oils. Same thing, if they don't say "so and so" essential oil on the label its probably not. Certainly not anything labeled as potpouri oil.

Edited by Candybee

Those oils are not for candlemaking. Use ingredients that are made for candlemaking and you will save money because you won't waste your time and money on stuff that isn't formulated to work with wax. Don't color your candles with crayons either. And don't use twine for wicks. Hobby Lobby is NOT a good source for quality candlemaking materials.

Thanks for the replies, I was just checking before I bought it. I don't do those other things, and right now since I'm just starting out Hobby Lobby is the only place I know of that has products I need without having to pay for shipping. I haven't looked around too much for suppliers yet but when I get more into it then I'm sure I will. Also we went to Hobby Lobby so we could smell the scents (lol) before we bought them.

Thanks again, I'll make sure to just stick with Fragrance oils and Essential oils.

No. Some of the oils not only have DPG in them, some have an alcohol content. Many are water based. Alcohol and candle wax and flame make a bad mix and water based won't mix well at all. The formulas for an FO to mix with wax are pretty unique from what I can tell.

right now since I'm just starting out Hobby Lobby is the only place I know of that has products I need without having to pay for shipping.

at

$3.00 for a 1/2 oz bottle, you can order 1oz samples from candle science (and others as well) for less including shipping.

About smelling them before you buy, while that is cool. I must say that OOB can and often is very different as compared to when it is actually in wax.

It can be better or worse once the wax set up.

And better or worse once the candle actually has its' appropriate cure time.

It can also be better or worse depending on your method of making the candle (temperatures), and the type of wicks you use.

I say all that to say, there are a great number of variables that can change the performance of ANY FO. OOB isn't always the most reliable way to test FO.

Good Luck.