Newbie expectations.....revisited

Well, I think I've finally made a nice candle. Couldn't wait any longer to try! I put the candle in a 12x10' room, and first burn, (2hrs), filled the room with a nice pleasant aroma. Close to fmp. Future burns will tell if I've wicked correctly. Love the Blackberry M.

09/20/11 #0001 - 8oz Mason Jar (Peak)

Wax 6006 (CS)

FO: Blackberry Marmalade (CS)

FO 8.00%

Dye: Half chip of purple. (Nice color - but needs more dye)

FO & dye added at 185

Stir 2 minutes

Pour: 180

Wick: 51z

My question: Does a nice pleasant aroma, not underwhelming or overwhelming, in a 10x12 room, sound like a successful candle HT? Sounds/smells good to me but I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks

Tom

Smells great to me. After I burn it all, I'll give a few to friends for more opinions.

Jar is 2 1/2 dia across the top but it's a semi square jar below the top. Outside dia of the sq portion is almost 3". 3 1/4 tall.

Edited by Snuff Gear

As a consumer, I would expect a candle to really fill a 12 x 10 bedroom (ie, it's pretty much closed in except the door) beyond a pleasant aroma. If I don't get wowed in the first two hours, chances are I will not use the candle again. This is from the perspective of a consumer who is not a friend, is not a tester, is not a candle maker, from the days before I made tarts. Our smallest bedroom is 14 x 12 with 9 foot ceilings. This is viewing it from the perspective of a customer who know nothing about melt pools, we spots, etc. All that most customers know is how strong is the candle and also will notice if there is lots of soot in the melt pool from a wick with a blob at the end.

10 x 12 is a pretty small room and I'd expect a candle the size of yours to fill a room with scent at least twice that size or more. But, everyone has their own way of gauging what they want their candles to do, so you're off to a good start!! :cool2:

I have tried so many FOs in both paraffin and soy at 6% and I'd say the majority are mediocre performers, very few whack you in the face using a 3" to 3.5" container. Maybe I'm just not buying the right ones and there is a lot of air flow in my house, however, I still maintain (at this point) that there are a lot that fall into the "a nice pleasant aroma" category. Don't get discouraged, it looks like you are doing it right, just try some others.

Silly question: you are weighing your FO right?

Keep in mind too that you will "get used" to a smell - just like your eyes get used to bright light or dim light. You may need to go outside and get some fresh air, then come back in - it might surprise you! But, I'm in the category of "nice pleasant aroma" - I don't want mine to be so strong that it's annoying - just enough to be "there" and enjoyable! Don't give up!

Keep in mind too that you will "get used" to a smell - just like your eyes get used to bright light or dim light. You may need to go outside and get some fresh air, then come back in - it might surprise you! But, I'm in the category of "nice pleasant aroma" - I don't want mine to be so strong that it's annoying - just enough to be "there" and enjoyable! Don't give up!

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of 'candle nose'. All my tests are done in a separate room, door closed. I don't go in for at least several hours. Gives me a pretty good sense as to what's happening.

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of 'candle nose'. All my tests are done in a separate room, door closed. I don't go in for at least several hours. Gives me a pretty good sense as to what's happening.

Sounds like you have a good grasp on the whole thing.. testing is SO much fun sometimes! ;0)

Tom, it sounds like you got a nice candle. Smell is subjective to me. I mean, when I burn a candle in my house, I may not think it is strong and filling the kitchen/living room. But if someone else comes in that isn't often here like we are...they notice it filling the house. Send it out to some friends for tests. Also invite someone over while it is burning and see what they think of the throw :).

Sounds perfect to me. I know everyone always talks about a ht throw that "blows the doors off the house" but to tell you the truth, I dont like my candles that strong. When they are, I almost feel like im choking on the fumes. I like to be able to see the candle burning so I want to be in the same room as the candle and have it throw a nice, pleasing subtle scent.

Very nice, is that the third burn of that candle? So far so good, I've found that I really can't judge the wicking until I burn the own candle. They seems to go through at least 3 stages, the initial burn, mid-burn and then the final third. Each stage can burn different depending on the internal environment, heat sink, air flow, etc. So much testing, so little time.

I don't use zincs so I can't help you on the wick choice but why did you not trim the wick? I know some people won't do it but why judge your candle performance of poor burning procedure? My daughter like candles from Bath and Body Works, she was burning one the other day that looked like a torch. She didn't trim the wick, so one has to follow the recommendations whether they are your candles of store bought. If you want a more self-trimming wick, try HTPs.

Nice idea and now you know. Attach a Warning sticker (you can get these from the candle supply stores; ) which has warning and burn instructions. If they fail to follow directions,, there is not much you can do about it. Maybe people here also carry insurance to protect themselves.

A bower burn (long duration) is a good test but start with a trimmed wick and then see how it burns.