First try with mottling wax

ksranch

Thanks everyone! I haven' had a chance to try again yet (too much babysitting Grand Daughter this week!) But, the test burns on those went well - Except really low HT. Not happy with that at all. If I can get the HT up I'd love to add them, but I don't want to sell a candle that is 'less' than the rest of what I have because my customers have X expectations now. hmmmm

The candles look awesome, I love pillars, not sure why but I do. Unfortunately there is too much air flow in my house once Spring arrives and the AC turns om. I am looking forward to Fall when the AC turns off so that I can burn my pillars again. I have found HT to be an issue with some FO and the fact that paraffin pillar wax (at least the ones I use) hold 5% to 6% FO. Not sure which wax or FO you used.

The candles look awesome, I love pillars, not sure why but I do. Unfortunately there is too much air flow in my house once Spring arrives and the AC turns om. I am looking forward to Fall when the AC turns off so that I can burn my pillars again. I have found HT to be an issue with some FO and the fact that paraffin pillar wax (at least the ones I use) hold 5% to 6% FO. Not sure which wax or FO you used.

The pariffin wax I normally use easily holds 7 - 8% and I don't have HT issues (with most FO's). But these were made with Mottling Wax, and it'll only hold 5%. Thus, I'm not getting the HT I prefer...unfortunately, cause they are cool looking. I am however going to try again with an FO that throws like crazy at 6% in my regular wax and see if it can handle the mottling wax. Stay tuned! ;0)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am however going to try again with an FO that throws like crazy at 6% in my regular wax and see if it can handle the mottling wax. Stay tuned! ;0)

Have you tried again yet? Wondering what your results were. Love these though.

I also added Steric to help 'hold' more FO.

Nice again. :smiley2: Did you get the HT you were looking for by adding the steric? You said before that you weren't very happy with it.

I just ventured into pillars and the first ones I made I did about everything wrong a person could do. I added way too much f/o and they seeped like crazy. The color bled out with the seepage too. :shocked2: They sure were purdy (to me) though. :yes:

Nice again. :smiley2: Did you get the HT you were looking for by adding the steric? You said before that you weren't very happy with it.

I just ventured into pillars and the first ones I made I did about everything wrong a person could do. I added way too much f/o and they seeped like crazy. The color bled out with the seepage too. :shocked2: They sure were purdy (to me) though. :yes:

Yea, those green ones seeped color with the fo too! icky! Those second ones are Warm Vanilla Oak from MillCreek, which is a strong thrower anyway. I was careful not to overload and added the steric to help hold it in and everything worked very well.

Keep trying - I think the look is worth the extra testing/learning.