Mottling wax & sweating

I had to get some mottling wax (Peak 1274) to try because I love the look (like I don't have enough to do already! lol ). I've done the searches and the reading - compared notes and got started today. Used 1 pound of wax, 1 ounce of FO and 2 TBS of steric. They look great, but I have some sweating. I found so many different opinions about the cause of this I wanted to pose the question - would more steric take care of the sweating? I obviously have a lot of testing to do - but just wanted to see if I'm headed in the right direction from someone who's done this before. TIA

The sweating to due to a FO added in excess of what the wax can hold (As described on the Peak's web site for 1274: higher fragrance levels yield better mottling, but levels above 5% may result in excess surface oil). While I have not done it myself, adding Vybar increases the FO carrying capacity of the was (Peak's: Vybar 103 is a wax additive used to eliminate bubbles, prevent mottling, increase opacity, and enhance fragrance-oil capacity of wax. This is the way to go to achieve higher fragrance oil capacity). It seems, however, that one cancels the other in terms of mottling. The 5% FO that 1274 holds should be good enough for a reasonable scent.

You can wrap them in paper towels and let sit for a day if they are pillars. You can up the amount of stearic by another T and that might help too.

Thanks Scented - oddly enough, I did wrap them tonight - the sweating wasn't "awful" but it was there.. hopefully save them enough for at least a test burn on the wick. tomorrow I'll back off the FO some and up the stearic a bit .. we'll see! ;0)

Yes you can wrap them in paper towels & let the air dry for a few days but.........they may sweat while burning and when you hug a sweating candles you hands get really messy. I always stay at 5% or below with 1274

Yep, found out not to hug them today when test burning!! lol My normal wick for that size seems to be struggling a bit too.. may have to wick up with this wax... love to learn!! Will try again Tuesday or so!

Okay, I don't need to wick up - second and third burn everything went fine - didn't even have to hug. However, I'm not happy with the HT at all. DH came in and said he couldn't smell it either.. So, although I love the look I'm not convinced I'm going to add this to my line.... will try another FO today and adjust the Sterin.. maybe too much FO sweated out??

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have that problem and tried a bunch of additives (stearic, vybar, x crystals, polyboost) and what worked best for me was a little micro wax. Half a percent or so. The 190MP micro that I think is easier to get suppresses mottling more than lower MP micro, but still can work. A little stearic (1% by weight) usually brought back the mottling, and/or a little less micro. It all depended on the amount and type of FO, but 0.5% 170mp micro, 1% stearic, in 1274 or 1343 was the best formula I had. No sweating, generally no bulging, nice mottling look that could be adjusted by both FO load and tweaking the additives.

Now I'm wondering if I should keep going that route or switch to 4045H, since CandleScience discontinued the 1274, 1343 isn't as consistently mottling, and 4045H has a slightly higher MP so would be less prone to bulge. It is more expensive, being 50lb to the case vs 60, and there's the ~$20 extra for shipping....