What do you call this? A Maxi Light or a Large Tea Light?

jonsie

In the picture below, I have the standard sized tea light, and a larger size that my local supplier calls "Maxi Light".

post-11807-1394584859_thumb.jpg

My customers LOVE the larger size because they can sample scents without committing to a huge candle. And the larger diameter throws better than a tea. It is a win-win for all of us.

The problem is this size isn't nearly as common as the tea. It is hard to find holders for them over here. So I wanted to know of other names this size might have so I can search on it. IKEA sells some lanterns and glass holders (that's where I got the glass holders in this picture), but I'm hoping to purchase wholesale.

TIA,

Susan

Thanks ChandlerWicks, but that might be too small. The specs on these are:

Diameter: 2-1/3" / 60 mm

Height: 3/4" / 20 mm

Capacity: 1.5 oz by weight / 43 g wax

A standard tea light wick will work and you get exactly 1/4" wick sticking out.

They really are my best selling product. They burn for about 12 - 15 hours and I charge $3 each (which here in Perth is actually a bargain). Sold individually, my profit margin is much much higher on these than any of my glass candles.

I buy huge amounts of the IKEA glass holders for them and I don't mark up the price (well, much... cost is $.80, I charge $1 to simplify totals) to the customer because I really really want them to have a proper holder for these. When the maxi light has been lit for awhile, it is a bad idea to try to move it because the tin cup gets a lot more wobbly than a tea light. So I practically hand out the glass holders for them.

I usually sell my maxi and tea lights loose in IKEA drawer sorters like this:

post-11807-139458485908_thumb.jpg

I offer 3 maxi + 1 glass holder in a uline box for $10. The front of the box has my label, the back of my box has the warning, proper usage, and my contact info. Customers love this, and even buy them as gifts. Each box means about 35 - 45 hours of candle time.

So I'm ready to ramp this up, but I'd like more accessory options.

Thank you Felixncharlie and Chandlerwicks!!

What's wrong with votives?
Actually, nothing that I know of. I just have been a little intimidated by anything that isn't in a container. Votives may be a perfect way to sample a scent, but I haven't rallied myself to tackle the moulds, wick pins, additives, etc, to make anything that can't flow freely once it starts to melt. I may feel differently once I try it, but for now, knowing that my candle wax is contained is a relief for me.

Oops... edit to add:

Personally, I think votives may have an advantage over maxi lights when it comes to waste. When a maxi light is used up, the customer has to dispose of the aluminum tin and wick tab. When a votive is used up, there should only be a wick tab left, right? So less waste.

When it comes to additives, I honestly don't know what's needed to make soy into a votive. My customers like to hear that it's just plain soy wax. If the additives that make soy into a votive don't sound scary, then I'm all for trying. As for using a pillar blend like Ecosoya PB, it is cost-prohibitive ($185/carton in my area).

So when it is cost effective and wicked properly, I can see where a votive is a better option.

Hi Susan

I ended up buying the polycarbonate maxi cups and I personally love them! I havn't had time to 'get them to market' yet as Im still wick testing. I had some little metal plates with ball feet that I had no use for so they came in handy![ATTACH=CONFIG]22457[/ATTACH]

KG, those plate are adorable! How perfect, that is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Hope they are a big hit for you. Edited by jonsie

Hi Jonsie,

I really like your display too. Very cute! Do you have a link to the IKEA glass holders your speaking about? I'm curious to see what they look like. Sorry I cant help you out with your question, as I dont make tea lights at all. Good luck with them though.

Hi Jonsie,

I really like your display too. Very cute! Do you have a link to the IKEA glass holders your speaking about? I'm curious to see what they look like. Sorry I cant help you out with your question, as I dont make tea lights at all. Good luck with them though.

Hi Pixie, thanks :) and I hope this link helps you: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20114171/

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread.... It seems like they are very popular in the UK right now (Kringle Candle offers) but it doesn't seem they offer the lids...which I would want. This supplier also offers a Spa cup which I would also be interested in. I did a search but everything it seems is in the UK. Hint...Hint....to OUR WONDERFUL suppliers, can you buy these Maxi Tealight cups AND the Spa Cups WITH the lids to sell to us? Would LOVE to be able to offer these to our customers...Thank you for your consideration..... :)

Candle Making Supplies > Tea Light Cups > Polycarbonate Maxi Light Cups - Clear

Polycarb%20-%20Maxi%20Lights.JPG

<a class="ico but" id="largeImageLink1" href="http://www.candlecreations.co.nz/ic/3919439822/Polycarb%20-%20Maxi%20Lights.JPG" rel="lightbox[prod]" rev="thumbSize=55x9999,largeSize=550x9999" data-googletools="1">images.giflarger imageMove mouse over the image to magnify

Our clear polycarbonate maxi light cups are manufactured with 100% flame retardant polycarbonate. These clear cup will transfer the glow of your candle into a warm glittering aura.

Features:

1. Non-toxic, recyclable polycarbonate - safe for the environment

2. Manufactured with UL 94 V-O or V-2 rated polycarbonate

3. 59mm diameter x 25mm deep

4. Candle glows through the cup

5. Stay cooler - safe to touch

6. Burn time ranges from 12-15 hours depending on wick & wax used

7. Great for all waxes: soy, beeswax, paraffin, palm & vegetable

8. Raised feet for better protection of surfaces

Wick suggestions: ACS 5.5 / 6.0 or CDN 10 / 12. Purchase Wick Tabs and create a new wick utilising your off cuts.

Use the drop down arrow to purchase in 20, 50, 100 & 500.

01248 http://www.candlecreations.co.nz/shop/Candle+Making+Supplies/Tea+Light+Cups/Polycarbonate+Maxi+Light+Cups+-+Clear.html

Polycarbonate Maxi Light Cups - Clear

Our polycarbonate maxi light cups are made from the highest grade of heat resistant polycarbonate plastic.

ico_refer.gif Refer a friend

ico_email.gif Product query

ico_currency.gif Convert currency

NZ $9.00

incl GST

Quantity 2050100500 Qty.

Candle Making Supplies > Tea Light Cups > Polycarbonate Spa Light Cups - Clear

Polycarb%20-%20Spa%20Lights.JPG

<a class="ico but" id="largeImageLink1" href="http://www.candlecreations.co.nz/ic/1983616463/Polycarb%20-%20Spa%20Lights.JPG" rel="lightbox[prod]" rev="thumbSize=55x9999,largeSize=550x9999" data-googletools="1">images.giflarger imageMove mouse over the image to magnify

Our clear polycarbonate spa light cups are manufactured with 100% flame retardant polycarbonate. These clear cup will transfer the glow of your candle into a warm glittering aura.

Features:

1. Non-toxic, recyclable polycarbonate - safe for the environment

2. Manufactured with UL 94 V-O or V-2 rated polycarbonate

3. 50.8mm diameter x 38.1mm deep

4. Candle glows through the cup

5. Stay cooler - safe to touch

6. Burn time ranges from 10-15 hours depending on wick & wax used

7. Great for all waxes: soy, beeswax, paraffin, palm & vegetable

8. Slightly raised feet for better protection of surfaces

Wick suggestions: ACS 3.0 / 3.5 or CDN 7 / 8. Purchase Wick Tabs and create a new wick utilising your off cuts.

Use the drop down arrow to purchase in 20, 50, 100 & 500.

01249 http://www.candlecreations.co.nz/shop/Candle+Making+Supplies/Tea+Light+Cups/Polycarbonate+Spa+Light+Cups+-+Clear.html

Polycarbonate Spa Light Cups - Clear

Our polycarbonate spa light cups are made from the highest grade of heat resistant polycarbonate plastic.

ico_refer.gif Refer a friend

ico_email.gif Product query

ico_currency.gif Convert currency

NZ $9.00

incl GST

Quantity 2050100500 Qty.

Edited by puma52

I would love to have these large tealight cups! Votives are a pain to package...

It would be awesome to be able to offer these to our customers wouldn't it Georgia? Maybe someone will make it possible for us to buy. Kringle Candles has had the 15 hr tealight for quite some time. I have noticed that USUALLY a while after we first see someone with a product that we like, it usually becomes available to our suppliers....hopefully soon... :)

OK....gotcha rjdaines! I am telling ya....those WILL float (But you would have to make out of pillar wax) ! Add to your line... beachy scents w/fine glitter..can float in swimming pool, hot tub, sink, bathtub etc...you will probably get quite a few of your customers to order from you. :) I am going to do a more in depth search and see what I can find. These have GOT to be available somewhere.... I hope. :)