ornies

dixiegal

Do your ornies come out kind of uneven or rough looking around the edges? They come out of the cookie cutters easily and have the cutter shape. Really am enjoying playing with these but no matter how careful I am putting the beads into the cookie cutters they just look bad, with parts beads sticking up some places more than others. I'm baking at 350 for 5 minutes. I've tried trimming a bit but this stuff is hard to cut.:shocked2:

I do mine at 350 for 8 mins and they even out a little bit more. Occasionally I need to trim around the edge if there were a few up against the side of the cookie cutter. The trick with these is to use a sharp, good quality scissor when trimming them. The cheapy ones just aren't strong enough to cut them effectively.

Also, I use a drill press to drill my string holes. Works MUCH better than a hand held drill for me.

To even out the rough edges ... I bake the first side and take them out of the cookie cutters. I turn them over (rough side down) and bake for a little bit more. This gives me a nice smooth edge. I have tried trimming them and could never get it to look right (might have been the trauma shears I was trying to use).

Susan

Trimming and flipping are waaay too complicated for a simple air freshener. Bake them a bit longer if you want a smoother finish. But, I like them textured and I just have a wonderful tool to help me - a coffee stirrer from McDonald's! It is a flat paddle about 1/4" wide. After placing the beads in the cookie cutter, I run around the inside edge pushing the beads away from the edge. When they melt, they fall in the gap as opposed to sticking up. No 'hairs' to trim! :)