Newbie Question

Sometimes they can look similar, but they're a different process. Marbles, you only color part of the wax and kinda swirl it. Mottle is done by the wax, not you. Though I don't know the actual process, it's rather like the oil added, whether it be FO or mineral or whatever displaces the color as the wax cools. Maybe it keeps the color from binding to the wax, I'm not exactly sure. In any event, the mottle appears as it cools and a while afterwards, creating the starburst/snowflake type white spots.

Top, some help here, please! Just exactly why does the color leave the spots??

Sometimes mottled candles look just like marble as well. Mottled candles are a lot easier to do, less mess and quicker. Marbled candles take more input from you as what you do can change the look of your finished candle quite dramatically, whereas mottled candles are a wax FO process independent of you.

Top, some help here, please! Just exactly why does the color leave the spots??
Because air is getting sucked in.

Mottled candles are made by adding liquid to the wax. As the wax goes through it's transition temperature where starts to crystallize into a hard solid, the liquid in the candle creates places where the crystals don't stick to each other so well. As the wax continues to cool and shrink, the shrinkage sucks air into those spaces where the crystalline structure is pulling apart. That creates the mottle pattern. It's made of air.

Because air is getting sucked in.

Mottled candles are made by adding liquid to the wax. As the wax goes through it's transition temperature where starts to crystallize into a hard solid, the liquid in the candle creates places where the crystals don't stick to each other so well. As the wax continues to cool and shrink, the shrinkage sucks air into those spaces where the crystalline structure is pulling apart. That creates the mottle pattern. It's made of air.

Really. Somehow that seems like ones that had a severe mottle would burn funky with that much air in them. Of course, I've only done a mottle a couple times and don't really remember what the burn looked like. Maybe I'll have to make a couple different ones and see if and how different they burn. Thanks :)