The correct wick for these

Ok, please explain what this Gopher thing is, lol. I've heard and used the gopher expression, but ya know, the term can be applied to many different things, depending on the profession. And I'm sure no-one here wants to hear our interpetation of "suffering from a gopher", "we've got to remove the gopher", "a gopher can be quite uncomfortable", etc. etc. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: So, what's the gopher and K-mart link? Pleeease?

Ravens, a "gopher" is a cute slang expression for someone who is sent to "go for" something, like an errand boy.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ravens, a "gopher" is a cute slang expression for someone who is sent to "go for" something, like an errand boy.

Thank you, HorsescentS!

I thought it was some type of "undercover expedition" at various stores, lol

Oh boy, need more excitement in my life.... no, wait, I need a life, bwhahahaha!

Candy, that's a typo on their website. I called them on the phone and arranged for them to have those jars ready for me to pick up two days later, and I only paid $23.00 for 16 jars with lids, and no shipping fee.

Ok lol I thought I was nuts! Think I will try some too!

Thank you, HorsescentS!

I thought it was some type of "undercover expedition" at various stores, lol

Oh boy, need more excitement in my life.... no, wait, I need a life, bwhahahaha!

Well, it kinda is an expedition. Someone from the store goes and gets the items and then put them in layaway for the customer to come pick up. Its really called Gopher...lol.

Edited by jeanie353

Was that through K-Mart? That's a good deal.

Oh, if anyone is interested in the 12oz. Status jars.... You can have them delivered to the store (Dollar Tree) when you order online, just make sure you put a note asking to send you the Libby status jar, made in the USA.... only $1 a piece!

I ordered 10 of them and got free shipping to my place too!

Was that through K-Mart? That's a good deal.

Oh, if anyone is interested in the 12oz. Status jars.... You can have them delivered to the store (Dollar Tree) when you order online, just make sure you put a note asking to send you the Libby status jar, made in the USA.... only $1 a piece!

Really? I didn't know you could specify a Libby status jar through Dollar Tree. Is it the nice thick one you can get from candle suppliers? I've only seen thin glass status jars at Dollar Tree.

Really? I didn't know you could specify a Libby status jar through Dollar Tree. Is it the nice thick one you can get from candle suppliers? I've only seen thin glass status jars at Dollar Tree.

I get them there, and they are the good thicker ones...

As far as Pinterest goes, what is she complaining about. I can't comprehend the whole Pinterest’s Terms & Conditions.

I don't understand it either. I'm confused! I was looking at Pinterest last night and there is so much awesome stuff on there, and I want to use it without any worries. The terms and conditions are very confusing to me.

I don't understand it either. I'm confused! I was looking at Pinterest last night and there is so much awesome stuff on there, and I want to use it without any worries. The terms and conditions are very confusing to me.

Me either. Was with it for the first paragraph as far as pinning another picture in that it belongs to someone else and the copyright thing. Think that was the first paragraph.. but then the next paragraph began to mess me up.

The terms and conditions are very confusing...that is for sure.

Getting back to the original topic of how to wick these 16 oz Ball Elite jars: I'm burning 4627 Comfort Blend wax, with 1.3 oz Peak's Birthday Cake and 1.7 oz wax, with a 62 zinc. I filled the jar to the glass ridge that goes all the way around the bottom of the neck of the jar, and after several burn sessions, the candle has burned down so that the wax level is just above the halfway mark of the square part of the jar. I've been getting an FMP, but there's a mottled film of wax on the glass going up to where the neck of the jar starts. No problems with smoke or soot. The HT is there, but not great, nothing that would make me want to buy this candle again if I was a customer.

So, if I want to stick with zincs so as not to have to worry about huge crazy flames or smoke from other kinds of wicks, I'll have to double wick. Should I try two 51 zincs? or two 60 zincs? I'll put them with the wick assemblies touching and see if that's far enough apart, first.

I could try a CD wick, too. I'm just afraid to try CDs after I went through so much hell with HTP wicks. Do CDs behave better? I'll have to order a sample pack. I also have HTP 1212 and HTP 126 wicks that I could try, but I'm not eager to try them.

I've been looking at lots of hand-poured candles in high-end shops lately, and most are double-wicked, so I guess customers don't mind.

HS do you have any of the small sized Htps, Cds & Ecos? Mine have soy in them, but I'll get 4 more & pour 4627 in them. We can test together if you like?

I don't have any CDs or Ecos, but I have lots of HTPs: 104, 105, 126, 1212. I tested them all in 4627 in the little Libbey Elemental jars, and they all sucked!!!!! I had every horrible wick problem you can name. :( I'm afraid to test them in the 16 oz Ball Elite jar. But, if I do...which one is the biggest? 126 or 1212? because the 126 smokes like a chimney.

I've been having the same issues since I started testing. Very close now. I give up, try others & come back to it. In the Elemental I'm pretty sure the Htp 73, 83 or 93 would do better. Try the 1212 in the Elite, unless it torches or drowns, go all the way to the bottom to see if the Hup will go. I'm thinking it might because the jar is so thick. Wait to go up on the FO% until you try the Htp. Zincs burned beautifully (actually the best) but no HT for me.

I've been having the same issues since I started testing. Very close now. I give up, try others & come back to it. In the Elemental I'm pretty sure the Htp 73, 83 or 93 would do better. Try the 1212 in the Elite, unless it torches or drowns, go all the way to the bottom to see if the Hup will go. I'm thinking it might because the jar is so thick. Wait to go up on the FO% until you try the Htp. Zincs burned beautifully (actually the best) but no HT for me.

I don't think the HTP 73, 83, or 93 would work in the Libbey Elemental jar because the 104 and 105 were drowning after awhile in some of them, so I had to wick up. The danged Libbey Elemantal jar doesn't have thick walls or a smaller opening to trap the heat. I don't like that jar anymore. :(

Okay, I'll try the HTP 1212 in the 16 oz Ball Elite with the same FO load, which on Alan's chart is about 8%, and see what happens.

Edited by HorsescentS

This probably won't help any but I can use HTP-83 wicks in the Elemental Jars with 4630 and 7% FO. I will say that CD-5 or CD-6 work equally as well.

Does the drowning happen with all FOs or just a few heavy ones?

Edited by rjdaines

This probably won't help any but I can use HTP-83 wicks in the Elemental Jars with 4630 and 7% FO. I will say that CD-5 or CD-6 work equally as well.

Does the drowning happen with all FOs or just a few heavy ones?

All of them, so I had to wick up on them all. But, 4627 is more viscous than 4630. I was using 9% or 10% FO load on those.

I just pulled the 62z out with pliers and stuck an HTP 1212 in there, so we'll see. I just lit it, so right now the flame is spiking up in a thin needle shape and making the occasional little puff of smoke, so we'll see if it settles down in a couple of minutes. Looks like it's settled a lot since I started typing...