The correct wick for these

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's gonna need a CDN 16, possibly 18... Hows the hot throw and container heat so far? Do keep burning that tester, though, as things may change during the last half of the candle... Sure looks pretty!

It was not hot at all, even after all those hours. I will keep going with the burn, but I think a 16 would provide a FMP. he he he I just love these jars...

• 5 months later...

I'm testing this 16 oz Ball Elite jar now with IGI 4627 Comfort Blend. Jar #1: 8% Peak's Birthday Cake and one 62 zinc wick. Jar #2: 10% CS Lilac and one 62 zinc wick. I might have to double wick with two 51z or two 60z wicks. Too soon to tell. I'm on my 4th burn session with the Birthday Cake candle, and 3rd burn session with the Lilac.

Nice clean burns with no mushrooms, or just tiny mushrooms so far.

If I double wick, I'm wondering if it's best to do it on the diagonal corner-to-corner, or just straight across.

Edited by HorsescentS

I have been using CD 16's, they have been working out fine for me. I haven't tried the zinc wicks.

So you can single-wick with a CD 16? Are you still using a blend of 75% 464 soy and 25% 4630 paraffin?

I might try the CD 16 too, but I went through so much hell with the recommended HTP wicks in 4627, and it's just been such an easy-breezy experience with the zincs that I'm scared to leave my zincs again. *shudder*

Edited by HorsescentS

After you try it let me know, OK? I like that I can purchase these at target and my local grocery store.

Yes, me too! I can superglue the 2 pieces of the lid together, then primer spray them and then spray-paint them whatever color I want.

I'll let you know when I try it. I've noticed that the wick sizes seem to be the same for 4627 and 6006 parasoy, so maybe I can use the same size wick as you use in your parasoy.

this my finished look, I call them GypsyJars, in the little I vial I have a note that say's "You are in charge of your own Destiny". there is a tiny crystal ball charm I make and a rustic key; they are not visible in the image. I used burlap that I ran through my printer to put the design on the top. I also glue the top to the ring, plus I age the ring in the oven. I only use 1 drop of ivory liquid dye.

post-11142-139458495705_thumb.jpg

post-11142-139458495701_thumb.jpg

Edited by kyme1911

I love these jars!!!!!! So glad y'all are testing them too!

I love them too! A couple of hours ago, I was worried that one 62z wick wasn't going to clean the sides, because the wax level had burned down from the neck of the jar into the top of the square part of the jar, and it was just tunneling pretty bad...BUT now it's doing great again, and looks like it will clean the sides once it burns down further into the jar. Will keep ya posted.

this my finished look, i call them gypsyjars, in the little i vial i have a note that say's "you are in charge of your own destiny". There is a tiny crystal ball charm i make and a rustic key; they are not visible in the image. I used burlap that i ran through my printer to put the design on the top. I also glue the top to the ring, plus i age the ring in the oven. I only use 1 drop of ivory liquid dye.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23821[/ATTACH]

:shocked2: wow wow wow wow wow :yay::yay::yay: Those are the BEST looking jar candles I have ever seen in my entire life!!! Amazingly beautiful!!! Thanks so much for sharing those pics! I'm too stunned to even ask questions right now. :laugh2:

Okay, I've recovered sufficiently to ask a question: So, you don't paint the lids? You just bake them in your oven and they come out that lovely color? That looks so good! I've never even heard of that before.

Are you saying that for the label on the top of the lid you can print right on burlap? I thought it was a circle of cork. It looks awesome!

And you print on a tag that has a metal rim? That is so cute!!!

Edited by HorsescentS

I have 8 of these jars that I picked up from our True Value. They are like Ace...I can order and have them delivered to the store. I can get

lye that way too from them.

Kyme....what an AWESOME candle! I am speechless too! Absolutely stunning! I was just reading Horsies idea about glueing and painting

the lids for these...and thinking, damn...great idea...then you posted your pics LOL!

Ps...still a great idea horsie LOL...I would likely use the idea from the painting technique of matte black that I posted on another thread for

these jars as I am NOT as creative as kyme :)

I have 8 of these jars that I picked up from our True Value. They are like Ace...I can order and have them delivered to the store. I can get

Kyme....what an AWESOME candle! I am speechless too! Absolutely stunning! I was just reading Horsies idea about glueing and painting

the lids for these...and thinking, damn...great idea...then you posted your pics LOL!

Ps...still a great idea horsie LOL...I would likely use the idea from the painting technique of matte black that I posted on another thread for

Matt Black would be beautiful! I'm doing a gorgeous shade of metallic copper. :grin2:

Edited by HorsescentS

:shocked2: wow wow wow wow wow :yay::yay::yay: Those are the BEST looking jar candles I have ever seen in my entire life!!! Amazingly beautiful!!! Thanks so much for sharing those pics! I'm too stunned to even ask questions right now. :laugh2:

Okay, I've recovered sufficiently to ask a question: So, you don't paint the lids? You just bake them in your oven and they come out that lovely color? That looks so good! I've never even heard of that before.

Are you saying that for the label on the top of the lid you can print right on burlap? I thought it was a circle of cork. It looks awesome!

And you print on a tag that has a metal rim? That is so cute!!!

On BCN (think or south) they talk about aging paint cans by putting them in a self cleaning oven to dull them. Well I do all my metal containers that way because I love vintage, rustic type styles and it works.

OK if you are not on Pinterest, then you are missing a wealth of inspiration...LOL there was a tutorial on printing on fabric with your home printer. So I tried it and it really works, using a full sheet label, I iron on the burlap then trim the edges and run it through the printer.

Thanks it's over the top, but I worked on the concept for awhile and I am happy with the results.

Thanks Debbie, those little jars are so limitless on the ways you can style them depending the look you are going for. Plus the most important part for me was they are available locally. One less thing to order :)

Damn - those are some good lookin jars! I'm also curious as to the 'baking' of the lid... do tell!

Gorgeous!!

You put them in a self cleaning oven for about 30mins or until you see they had dulled and aged, let them cool and they are ready to go.

On BCN (think or south) they talk about aging paint cans by putting them in a self cleaning oven to dull them. Well I do all my metal containers that way because I love vintage, rustic type styles and it works.

OK if you are not on Pinterest, then you are missing a wealth of inspiration...LOL there was a tutorial on printing on fabric with your home printer. So I tried it and it really works, using a full sheet label, I iron on the burlap then trim the edges and run it through the printer.

Thanks it's over the top, but I worked on the concept for awhile and I am happy with the results.

Thank you so much for being so generous with all this wonderful information! I've never heard of Pinterest before, but it's a great website! I found this info about printing on fabric: http://pinterest.com/pin/183592122279057643/

Thank you so much for being so generous with all this wonderful information! I've never heard of Pinterest before, but it's a great website! I found this info about printing on fabric: http://pinterest.com/pin/183592122279057643/

It is so addicting, there is a wealth of creative inspiration on that site. I love it! I am very happy to help :)

It is so addicting, there is a wealth of creative inspiration on that site. I love it! I am very happy to help :)

I put some jj lids in my oven on Self Clean for 30 minutes to see how they turn out. I just turned off the Self Clean function, but the oven door is still on auto-lock, so I can't open it yet to see how they look. I put not only the rings, but the round middle parts too, and maybe I shouldn't have because it smells like it was melting the plastic and rubber seal on those round middles.

I put some jj lids in my oven on Self Clean for 30 minutes to see how they turn out. I just turned off the Self Clean function, but the oven door is still on auto-lock, so I can't open it yet to see how they look. I put not only the rings, but the round middle parts too, and maybe I shouldn't have because it smells like it was melting the plastic and rubber seal on those round middles.

OH not the center cap, it has the rubber on it; I bet it is melting :(