The correct wick for these

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone use these? If so is a CD14 too big or 10 or 12? I love the look, but the square corners once again are driving me nuts...

I used them for a spring craft/rummage sale. I had no problems with them at all but I might use a different wax than you. I use a soy/para blend. I also did not use CD wicks. I wicked them as I wick my 16oz apothecary jars...if that helps. My apoth jars are the ones from The Candlemakers Store. They are not 4" across but more like 3-5/8 or so. Even with the bit of difference in the jar size/shape I got a really nice burn out of them w/the same size wick.

HTH

Edited by jeanie353

If we're talkin' soy wax, try a CDN 12 & 14. The more enclosed shape may allow you to use a slightly smaller wick, although the air flow might be a problem....

I use 464 and I had to go with a CD 20

That sounds like a torch to me. I use a 20 in C3 for a 4" container!!!

Edited by Stella1952

What wax? I use 464 and I had to go with a CD 20.

Really? I use 464 straight and I use the 8 ounce square masons and find a CD 12 in most fragrances is way to hot- I have never even tried a 14 let alone a 20...I am amazed, do you add anything to your wax? For the most part CD 10's work for me- at first with the corners there is some hang up but it does catch up and the glass doesnt get to hot- the 12's for me, and I know there are many other variables involved, are way to hot- I get way to deep of melt pool and the glass burns to the touch

No Stella, not a torch at all I couldn'd even get a full melt pool, I tested a few different FOs and I just gave up on the jars. I now use them to make jams.

I add CO and I am starting to wonder if it could be the problem with my 464?

I have not try CDN wicks and I still have some of the Elite jars, so I am going to try that.

While 3 5/8 is not quite 4 inches your are getting close to the diameter that double wicking is suitable. I use two CD-5s or CD-6s with a container near or at 4 inches with 464. You also mentioned coco oil, depending how much you add, I have also noted that CO can negatively impact the burn and force one to wick up. Frankly, I have not found CO to be useful in 464 at least in terms of reducing frosting.

Sorry I forgot to mention that I use 75 % 464 & 25 % 4630 paraffin. No other aditives... I do a double wick in another container because I have too. But in these jars I wanted to only single wick them. I was just curious what others were using. Thanks for all the input!

Sorry I forgot to mention that I use 75 % 464 & 25 % 4630 paraffin. No other aditives... I do a double wick in another container because I have too. But in these jars I wanted to only single wick them. I was just curious what others were using. Thanks for all the input!

I use 464 in a 4" container and 4630 in the same 4" container (haven't combined them yet) but both require double wicking to get a nice burn. That said, I did try a single LX-24 which did a fair job but never got a full melt pool with 4630 but it did catch up towards the end. Wick need trimming at start of burn and some sooting was noted on the glass. I have larger wicks I could try but haven't yet. I've never been able to single wick my container with 464 with a CD or other wick.

Sorry, Kyme, I use paraffin and I wick those jars (I really like them) with zinc wicks. As long as you keep the wicks trimmed, they burn great.

Are you using 51's, I searched this jar and everyone seemed to be using them... But the info was from several years ago and I was hoping to hear if anyone was who was currently using this particular jar. I can order some Zinc's when I order my wax this week.....I love these little jar's they are so cute, never in my life did I think I would like a mason jar candle. Never say never, lol.

Yes, that is what I use, the 51zinc. I buy the jars at the grocery store (Albertson's, Walmart), but you can also find them at Target. Don't know if they will work with your wax, but they do fine with the wax I use. HTH

Thanks I'm not sure if they will with 75% 464. I will see how my CD testers go, and keep you posted.

Dana, these look like the 16-oz to me. I have a few boxes of those but couldn't get the wicking worked out, either, so I scrapped them.

Oh Sorry, forgot to mention the size since I posted the picture...yes it is a 16oz. So far the CD12 is working, keeping my fingers crossed. I wont be scrapping these, they are keepers.

I used them for a spring craft/rummage sale. I had no problems with them at all but I might use a different wax than you. I use a soy/para blend. I also did not use CD wicks. I wicked them as I wick my 16oz apothecary jars...if that helps. My apoth jars are the ones from The Candlemakers Store. They are not 4" across but more like 3-5/8 or so. Even with the bit of difference in the jar size/shape I got a really nice burn out of them w/the same size wick.

HTH

I was just thinking wouldn't it be helpful maybe to mention the type of wick you used?

I was just thinking wouldn't it be helpful maybe to mention the type of wick you used?

Eco 10-12 depending on scent with my para/soy blend. It has more paraffin than soy. They wicked for me the same as my 16oz apothecary jars....I thought the comparison may help in wicking even though so many of us use different waxes.

Edited by jeanie353

Eco 10-12 depending on scent worked excellent with my para/soy blend. It has more paraffin than soy. They wicked for me the same as my 16oz apothecary jars....I thought the comparison may help in wicking even though so many of us use different waxes.

Thanks I don't use Eco's but... So far the 1st burn with the CD12 is working out. Thanks for your input :)

Kyme, I'll be interested to see what you think about the heat of the container on subsequent burns, since there was some previous mention of that. Let's us know, k?

Sure Stella, since these are widemouth jars I don't see CD10's making it all the way to the corners. I will keep you posted!

No Stella, not a torch at all I couldn'd even get a full melt pool, I tested a few different FOs and I just gave up on the jars. I now use them to make jams.

I add CO and I am starting to wonder if it could be the problem with my 464?

*sigh*

How MUCH CO and how MUCH FO? Waxes will only hold so much added oil... It almost sounds like the CD 20s you used were drowning!!! Try no CO and 1 oz. PP FO with a CD or CDN 12 & 14 and see how that goes...

I didn't know they came in 16 oz size. I like them better than the 8 oz ones.
Me either, until I blew up the photo and saw the "16 oz." on the label - the dimensions of that container are somewhat larger than the 8 oz. size... I was thinking of the 8 oz. size in soy when I suggested a 12-14, BUT I didn't realize Kyme was using parasoy when I typed that... so it worked out. LOL
I don't see CD10's making it all the way to the corners
Who knows? With a parasoy and reflected heat down toward the middle of the container, it might work; but, you're right - that container is wider than I originally envisioned... Don't give up on the corners until the end of the candle... Edited by Stella1952