Bad reaction to lip balm!! Has anyone else ever had this?

asheebeans

I recently purchased some lip balm base and made some up using VERY little peppermint oil. (A few drops for several tubes' worth of balm.) I used all of the usual precautions and within a few days, my lips are now blistery and swollen and ouchie!! :shocked2: This was a sweetened base, and one I haven't tried before, so I am wondering if the sweetener had something to do with it? I used to use BCN's lip balm with no issue. I thought I would try a new supplier because I'd gotten a gift cert.....now I'm wishing I'd have skipped the lip balm purchase. I look like I stole Mick Jagger's lips and planted them on my face! Help!

Here's the ingredient list: Ingredients: Beeswax, Cocoa Butter, Mango Butter, Jojoba Oil, Vitamin E, and Sweet Flavor for Sweetened Base.

I'm disappointed because the base itself was awesome as far as staying power goes. Some lip balms are really greasy like an oil slick and this one wasn't. :sad2: Too bad my lips feel like I kissed a boiling tea kettle though.......

That was my first thought too but asheebeans didn't say whether she has used the peppermint oil in her lip balms before and if it was a flavor oil or EO?!!

If its not the peppermint oil I'd like to know which supplier's balm it was. I have used C&S, Elements, and WSPs with not problems. The one I love is from C&S. Who knew they would carry the nicest one I have tried. LOL!

It was Peppermint EO that I used, not flavor oil. Like I said, I used a few (we're talking 5 drops here) in enough base to make 30 lip balm tubes plus 10 lip balm pots. I was afraid to use too much Peppermint, though everything that I was reading online made it sound like you use one drop EO per lip balm tube!! That seemed like a bit much to me, so I only used a little. The supplier is Soapies Supplies. Like I said, I love the staying power of this lip balm! It's not an oil slick, but it lasts for hours! I'm almost afraid to try again minus the Peppermint EO. I wrote asking what the sweetener was in the lip balm but haven't gotten a response yet. :sad2:

I look like I stole Mick Jagger's lips and planted them on my face! Help!
I am so sorry you had a bad reaction, but your description cracked me up...

Just wondering, did you try a little of the lip balm base for a few days BEFORE you put the peppermint EO in it? If it was a "new-to-you" product, that might be a good idea for future reference. My skin isn't very sensitive, but I always try new stuff on a small area of skin for a few days before I use a lot of it because every now and then, I have thrown up a reaction...

Edited by Stella1952

It must be the peppermint EO you used. Try a mint flavor oil next time. I know you want to use as close to natural ingredients as possible but I'd stick with flavor oils for lip balm, lip gloss, or lipstick products. Sorry you got burned. Hope your lips are better today. I once rubbed my eye when I had cinnamon FO on my hands and OMG that burned!

I am so sorry you had a bad reaction, but your description cracked me up...

Just wondering, did you try a little of the lip balm base for a few days BEFORE you put the peppermint EO in it? If it was a "new-to-you" product, that might be a good idea for future reference. My skin isn't very sensitive, but I always try new stuff on a small area of skin for a few days before I use a lot of it because every now and then, I have thrown up a reaction...

You know, I was so excited to have new lip balm that I didn't do a blank....that was stupid on my part! It's the first time that I hadn't and I learned a very ouchie lesson! I bought some Medicated Chapstick and my lips are healing nicely. I'll have it on hand for when I do make a batch minus peppermint to see if it truly was the Peppermint EO. If my lips get fired up again minus the Peppermint, I'm pitching the two pounds of lip balm base that I bought and crying into my pillow for buying so much of it!! That's what I get for trying to get my money's worth on shipping too. :(

It must be the peppermint EO you used. Try a mint flavor oil next time. I know you want to use as close to natural ingredients as possible but I'd stick with flavor oils for lip balm, lip gloss, or lipstick products. Sorry you got burned. Hope your lips are better today. I once rubbed my eye when I had cinnamon FO on my hands and OMG that burned!

OMG, cinnamon FO on the eye?!? That had to burn like a mutha!!

Peppermint oil is a very common allergin. It is commonly used in lip plumpers along with cinnamon because it is an irritant; it increases blood flow to the lips and that's why they puff up. I can't use a balm with anything resembling a mint in it. I hope your lips return to normal soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Yowch! I don't have a reaction like that, but when I use lip products with beeswax in them, I slowly get a reaction (burning, stinging lips). It took me a bit to figure out the culprit. Some are worse than others, and after reading this thread, I'm wondering if the ones with the peppermint and beeswax just put me over the top.

• 4 months later...

I'd finally gotten brave and tried it again, minus the peppermint oil.....and by that evening had red and irritated lips!!! It's something in the balm, be it the sweetener, some kind of funk or the mango butter.... I used to use BCN's lip balm base religiously and never had a problem. I think I may be going back to it. What a bummer! TWO POUNDS of lip base going into the trash!

• 4 years later...
On August 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Candybee said:

That was my first thought too but asheebeans didn't say whether she has used the peppermint oil in her lip balms before and if it was a flavor oil or EO?!!

If its not the peppermint oil I'd like to know which supplier's balm it was. I have used C&S, Elements, and WSPs with not problems. The one I love is from C&S. Who knew they would carry the nicest one I have tried. LOL!

Im searching old posts about lip balm base + flavor oils and found this lol ! Who is C& S ? Man, Ive been learning A TON about EO in lip balms on here

the only  EO Ive used for lip balms have been lemon -vanilla . Ive never used flavor oils so I don't know where to begin to look 

C&S is Candles and Supplies in PA. I am reluctant to use EOs in lip balms. If you must check with Talltayl. I believe she is the one that uses EOs successfully in lip balms. But they are specific EOs that are safe for use in lip balms and she knows which ones I am talking about.

I prefer to use flavor oils because they were specifically made for use in lip balms so I know they are safe.