What advantage in pure soy tarts?

I believe soy is cleaner burning and use at least 30% in my paraffin blends, but how do you justify making tarts out of pure soy? You melt the tarts not burn them. Can't say they are "cleaner burning," probably can't say "cleaner melting." Other than helping the farmers rather than the oil companies, do you know of any other benefits??

I use a soy pillar blend wax.I did use the leftover soy wax but way to soft so use votive/pillar wax.I have dropped a few and they are fine.The soy was smooth but broke so easy.I could have added something but easier just to get the soy pillar blend and can use it for votives if I make them.This year want to start pillars.Might as well have this wax on hand.

LynnS

I did talk to a supplier and candlemaker and asked him and he uses paraffin for tarts.He said no one asks if soy or paraffin. Just buys them.

Some of my customers really like that they're made out of a softer wax so they can cut them in half. They'll stick one half in one burner & the other half in another burner. I personally like that it's easier to clean - dump the used wax in a dixie cup & let it harden then throw away, but mostly I'll just dump the wax on top of my garbage (makes it smell purdy & it's not too hot so I don't worry about it melting through.) Wipe out the burner with a paper towel then I'm ready to go. I use ceramic warmers and don't encourage my customers to put them in the freezer to pop the wax out since ceramic and freezing don't get along, and since container soy won't "pop" like paraffin.

Also, straight soy burns cooler than paraffin, so it's something that might appeal to people with young children, or anyone who's clumsy in general, LOL! You can advertise it as cooler burning, in case of spills - but I wouldn't necessarily say anything at all about avoiding burns, you don't want to give anyone reason to dip their hands in a melted tart and then blame you for the idea, ha! People will do anything, won't they?

It might burn cooler, depending on you wick, but in a warmer it depends on the melt point of the wax. And how deep the wax is in it. The smaller amount of wax the hotter the wax. I agree with you that when it comes to tarts wax type might not matter. I work with soy so that's what my tarts are made from. I have only had one custome tell me she uses the tart wax on her skin as a lotion. She said when the scent is gone then she starts to use on herself. I told her not to but I'm sure she will still do it.

There is one advantage I can think of.....when you have people like my sister that have allergies to paraffin whether it's a candle, lotion with petrolatem (sp?), or anything that is a petroleum byproduct, the soy tarts would be a product that she could use.

• 2 weeks later...