15-18% Fragrance load?

First I want to say Hello, I've been a regular reader on these forums, but have never posted. The wealth of information here is amazing, and I feel this forum has allowed me to better my product, and the tips and tricks I've learned are priceless (silicone caulk instead of hot glue for one) but anyway...

I have always had a bad taste in my mouth when it came to Scentsy, but I was searching for their melt point to make sure my tarts would work in a Scentsy warmer when I came across a FAQ on their website. It states that the Scentsy wax melts at 125 which sounds about right, warm enough not to melt in a box truck while shipping. Well, I scroll down and see that they claim they use a 15-18% fragrance load. From what I have seen the highest fragrance load I have seen any wax rated for is 12% and the list is short. Is there a wax out there or an additive that would let a wax hold 18%?

Thanks!

Welcome to the board. Can't answer your question about the fragrance load, but I can say that a melt point of 125 is certainly low enough to melt in the back of a box truck while shipping. Holy canoli...try shipping to Phoenix in July...(or many other states with the heatwave this year)! Anyway, welcome again:)

they claim they use a 15-18% fragrance load. From what I have seen the highest fragrance load I have seen any wax rated for is 12% and the list is short

Wax manufacturers make wax for candles. A FO load that high would be danged hard for a wick to handle! Melts and tarts are not candles. There is no such thing as a "wickless candle" because a candle, by definition, has a wick. People claim a LOT of things... that doesn't make it true. If they can load up their tarts with that much FO, good for them. It makes me wonder what crappy kind of FO they are using that requires a FO load that high to get a great HT...

I have a paraffin blend that I came up with that holds 18 percent very easily, no sweating at all, no additives. I agree with Stella that wicking that kind of FO load is problematic (I tried it and grew the gnarliest shroom you ever did see). However, it seems to work well in the warmer that I bought at Walmart.

I have not tried to see what the sweating/saturation level is. Might be able to go to 21 percent, dunno, haven't tried.

At 18 percent its pretty strong. Also, the wax doesn't have the cohesion it does at lower percentages meaning that it acts like it wants to break apart and crumble when I pull it out of a clamshell compared to what wax is like in candles and clamshells with lower FO amounts.

I have a paraffin blend that I came up with that holds 18 percent very easily, no sweating at all, no additives.

Wow! Care to share, or give some tips? I'd love to test something like that up against my regular 9% I've been using 60% Ecosoya PB 15% 464 and 25% 4630.

Ah-soy lol, that is true I guess. I have stopped shipping this summer, my regular candles have a melt point of 110 and without an ice pack they just never make it anywhere without at least slumping.

Thanks!

I have a paraffin blend that I came up with that holds 18 percent very easily, no sweating at all, no additives. I agree with Stella that wicking that kind of FO load is problematic (I tried it and grew the gnarliest shroom you ever did see). However, it seems to work well in the warmer that I bought at Walmart.

I have not tried to see what the sweating/saturation level is. Might be able to go to 21 percent, dunno, haven't tried.

At 18 percent its pretty strong. Also, the wax doesn't have the cohesion it does at lower percentages meaning that it acts like it wants to break apart and crumble when I pull it out of a clamshell compared to what wax is like in candles and clamshells with lower FO amounts.

Wow! You are the Mad Scientist of Waxdom. Someday you will get rich. lol

And to add to what ChrisR posted. If you use too much vybar in tarts you will not have smooth tops. You get a rippled effect which IMO looks crappy. The most FO percentage that I use is 10% in tarts...some 8%. I would never want to add close to 20% at the prices I pay for some of my oils. I have been using a Creme Brulee tart that I made a couple of years ago...my own blend of paraffin and one pour container wax with vybar and this tart is so strong that I DO have to turn of the burner for a while because it about sickens me.

Welcome to the board. Can't answer your question about the fragrance load, but I can say that a melt point of 125 is certainly low enough to melt in the back of a box truck while shipping. Holy canoli...try shipping to Phoenix in July...(or many other states with the heatwave this year)! Anyway, welcome again:)

so funny you say that, i just got my order today and UPS decided to leave it outside . real temp was according to the news 100 with heat index of 110. needless to say my wax survived but my dye chips did not fair so well. not totally melted but the but had an awful lot of color all over it :)

I'm not sure that the high FO loads are worth while. They certainly don't wick well and in a tart or clamshell, the lower and more standard percentages do a right fine job and last a long time. The higher the FO, the more crumbly the tarts get too.

No.........Vybar will lock out a scent if you use too much, so you'll get no HT at all.
True. For example, I have found that in general, more than .5% in 4798 will cause cold and hot throw to diminish. Also it seems that ANY Vybar 260 in 4627 starts to diminish throw ( blending experiment gone bad :( ) Edited by rjwhite6

I'm not sure that the high FO loads are worth while. They certainly don't wick well and in a tart or clamshell, the lower and more standard percentages do a right fine job and last a long time. The higher the FO, the more crumbly the tarts get too.

I'm not sure it would be worth it either, but I am thinking of longevity, my one ounce tarts last around 4-6 hours, and the tart bars end up lasting around 18-24 hours. Not bad for $3.50 but when the "others" are claiming they last 80 hours+ I think I need to find a local scentsy person and get a few of them to test side by side, I kinda don't want to give them my money though. I guess its all in the name of a better product.

Pam, I never said it takes that to get a decent throw, just that I tried it to see if it worked, and it does.

001, a claim of 80 hours might be so over the top that it fails the fraud test. I don't really know how long mine last, but they go well beyond 4 hours. I recall dumping a dish of melt at about 12 hours just because I wanted to try something else.

I am pretty sure mine lasts longer then 4-6 hours too but I don't really want to advertise that. I think they arrive at that number by claiming each cube lasts around 10 hours. This would mean one, that there is almost 1/2 ounce of fragrance oil in each of their tart bars and that two, that each cube has 1.85 grams of oil in it. Maybe tomorrow and Tuesday I will actually time test one of my cubes until the bitter end and then do 1.85 grams in around 7 grams of straight 4630 and see how long each goes. I'll use them in the low temp warmer and hopefully it will simulate the "scentsy" product well enough. I guess I could claim mine goes 80 hours if each of my cubes are slightly detectable after 13 hours right? lol I wonder how they do test them though because I go until I don't think it is strong enough which might be the problem, they may be going until there is no scent left at all. We shall see! Thanks all for the replies though you've all been incredibly helpful.

If it takes 15-18% FO load to get a decent throw, I'd be looking for a new FO supplier......no way in hell will I use any FO that takes that amt of FO load.

I wholeheartedly concur with a bigtime "Yeah, you right.":rockon:

I am surprised at some of the short "lives" people are reporting. The little tarts that I make as leftover projects from candlemaking hold their scent very well for several days, then begin to diminish daily... Some of mine have lasted for 2 weeks, but certainly not all fragrances are that long lasting. I don't "amp" them up with extra FO nor do I use any additives that are not already in the candle wax. I am mystified as to what people are expecting... I sure wouldn't want tarts any stronger than the ones I have - they'd make my eyes water! I don't use them in large rooms - I use them in small rooms where burning a candle would be inconvenient or unsafe (ignored). They produce as much hot throw as one might expect from a votive candle or 6 oz. tall tin. :confused:

Never used more than 1 oz or 6% FO load in my tarts be it soy, paraffin, or palm wax. Its hard to measure the exact amount of hours the scent lasts because like Stella mine start losing their scent each day I burn them. But they easily last 12 hours or more. I don't typically burn a melt all day long but prefer to burn one for about 4 hrs or more a day. That way they can last up to a week with some FOs less for others.

Also, I wouldn't worry about Scentsy and their claims. Some of the reviews I have read on these forums show they are not the super tarts/clams that they claim. Plus the warmers they use are more for show and apparently even their own tarts don't burn that well in them. As far as I am concerned they are selling strictly on their brand name and not so much on the actual quality. Their tarts don't last longer than any well made tart. They just claim they do and some people believe that crap. Remember they have lots of money to throw at advertising, packaging, and distribution.

I would not bother using more than the recommended amount of FO load for my wax. Most waxes will give you a great throw with a 6% FO load. But you do need to buy quality FOs that work well in your wax. This is key. I always see newbies get caught up in thinking of using higher FO loads or switching waxes to quickly when they don't get a great throw right away rather than taking the time to actually test the FOs to find good ones that work in their wax.

There are some waxes that are designed to hold higher % FO and thats okay to use the the full amount but you should test the load in increments. Just because a wax is designed to hold more FO doesn't mean it needs it or that the tart will last any longer. If you are using more FO than you need you wasting your money.

Edited by Candybee

I am pretty sure mine lasts longer then 4-6 hours too but I don't really want to advertise that. I think they arrive at that number by claiming each cube lasts around 10 hours. This would mean one, that there is almost 1/2 ounce of fragrance oil in each of their tart bars and that two, that each cube has 1.85 grams of oil in it. Maybe tomorrow and Tuesday I will actually time test one of my cubes until the bitter end and then do 1.85 grams in around 7 grams of straight 4630 and see how long each goes. I'll use them in the low temp warmer and hopefully it will simulate the "scentsy" product well enough. I guess I could claim mine goes 80 hours if each of my cubes are slightly detectable after 13 hours right? lol I wonder how they do test them though because I go until I don't think it is strong enough which might be the problem, they may be going until there is no scent left at all. We shall see! Thanks all for the replies though you've all been incredibly helpful.

Ask the Chinese who makes them how long they really last.

lol, I was actually looking at their youtube videos the other day and saw it kept cutting from that one man's office to the Chinese factory talking about the hand crafted bull they spew.

Also, Stella I normally test in an area around 500 square feet. I guess it could just be getting lost? I also get tired of scents quickly, so after 2-3 hours I get bored, then throw something else in, I use it once or twice more then it doesn't throw well enough for me, like I said it might just be that it is getting lost, maybe I'll confine it to the bedroom (around 200 sf). We will see, I'm doing a bitter end test right now. I'm also wick testing/power burning 3 new fall scents in the bathroom and pouring candles in the candle room.

Scentsy tarts that I have smelled...or not smelled...lol...suck. I know I told the story here of my X dil's partner in the hair salon going to a Scentsy party and buying one of their tart melters and several different scents of their clamshells. So far I have "not" smelled 4 or 5 different ones that are in their shop. The burner gets hotter than what they claim it does and I had to put my nose down IN the bowl to even know something was melting in it. I am the first customer of the day on Thursday so it's not like it is competing with the smell of hair products.

They both have tart burners that they bought from me at home...plus I gave them one for the shop plus supply them with tarts. I gained some of their customers for my tarts and candles because of the great throw of mine. But her partner was trying to help out a friend who was a brand new rep so she decided to ditch my stuff. My X dil is pissed but she said that Kristin is like that and will someday soon admit that the stuff is crap. lol

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a room with a large volume (cubic feet), try using a melter with a wider diameter (or a wider diameter container on your melter) since the "melt pool" is where the fragrance is emitted. I use a 6 oz. deep tin on mine (~2-5/8" diameter) , but I used it primarily in the bathroom, which is not very large. The fragrance, however, scented up the entire hallway as well. I have high ceilings through out the house, so even though the square footage is not great, the cubic volume is more.

Also, be SURE you don't have an AC going that has one of those fancy filters in in (the electrostatic ones) because, just as those are effective in filtering out the odor of the fish you fried last night, they are also effective in filtering out the fragrance from your warmer! AC units (wall or central) will really suck the fragrance away from a room, especially if there is an intake in that room. If you have ceiling fans, try to set them to pull the scent UP rather than pushing it down and reduce the fan speed a little. HTH