Question please on purchasing used melter...

Joy

Can anyone give me an idea on what a CES water jacketed 150# melter purchased in 1998 should sell for used? I know they sell for $895 now--I have the opportunity to purchase a used one, but don't know what to consider a fair price. I wouldn't have to pay freight. Any help is greatly appreciated!:confused:

I can't help you very much with the price but I would tell them that water Jacket melts are going to the wayside because they take so long to heatup and melt and see iff that brings them down a bit in the price. Also ask for picture of the inside of the melter and appox. hours it was used. It will do you no good if you have to buy a new heat elelment for it because the one with it is worn out.

The reasons for the picture of the inside of the melter is to ensure that they properly cleaned it and didn't scratch the surface of the inside with abrasive cleaning pad like steel wool or something plus you might have a different wax to use in it and don't want the waxes mixing.

I considered buying a used melter from a guy close to me but when I saw the inside I backed out! He used a chissel to clean out the left over wax and left HUGE gouges in the melter.:tongue2:

Guest smores buddy

I bought a USED 500# melter for $750 last March. It is waterjacket and I love it. It does not take too long and is energy efficient so it runs 24/7. It would have cost me$1500 new. Just check how much the heating elements cost. IF mine ever goes, it has 2 elements, I can get them from candlewic where he originally purchased it. Knock on wood, it has run like a dream since we got it. I say Go FOR IT... you'll never look back.

Happy HOlidays!

Terri

As a rule of thumb, just about any type of industrial equipment will sell for around half of the new price. At $250, this is about 1/3, and it's not a *lot* of money.

I'd get the model number and manufacturer, then check on the price for new heating elements, along with checking the availability of any other parts, just in case.

Scratches and gouges could be an issue, as someone else stated, but if you're only gonna use one wax formula, it wouldn't HAVE to be an issue except cleaning it for the first time. You might have to waste #10 of wax to 'rinse' it, that first time.

I'd jump on it, if I could and I needed one that big... if I knew I could still get parts, if needed.