Car Air Fresheners

ksranch

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes the cookie cutter is your mold. I use wax paper and then spray it with a cooking spray so the ornaments don't stick, then lay it on a cookie sheet. I use a screw to make the hole and place it upside down, so the head of the screw lays flat on the wax paper. I fill the cutters with the colored and scented beads and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes. You'll have to play around with the temp/time for your oven.

Has anyone had one of these melt in a hot car? I noticed on the instructions from one of the suppliers that there was a caution about using them in a hot car. Just curious.

Honestly, I have never had a problem with these melting in my car...and the temp is well over 110! However, I have had a customer tell me that hers melted. I have not been consistent with the beads supplier. And I imagine the fragrance oil makes a difference too. So I am being a little more picky with my bead supplier.

Regarding the aroma beads, I've tried a few suppliers over time including Alabaster and in my opinion, BitterCreek carries the best quality beads. Also a tip for those of you who are new to making these, don't make them too thin! This is where so many people run into problems with them melting off the string. I make mine anywhere from 5/8 to 3/4 inch thick and I've never, ever had one melt on me even with direct sun hitting them. :rolleyes2

Word to the wise: When making them thicker, don't let them cool down too much before removing them from the cookie cutter. Made one last year in a Fleur-De-Lis shape for some N.O. Saints fans and jeez. Let it cool way too long and ended up destroying my cookie cutter. I was not a happy camper.

Yes the cookie cutter is your mold. I use wax paper and then spray it with a cooking spray so the ornaments don't stick, then lay it on a cookie sheet. I use a screw to make the hole and place it upside down, so the head of the screw lays flat on the wax paper. I fill the cutters with the colored and scented beads and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes. You'll have to play around with the temp/time for your oven.

Wow! I just toss the cookie cutters on a cookie sheet, stand a flat head screw in them for the hole, fill, and bake for 3 minutes. If the A/C is on I cool on a floor vent. In the winter I set the pan on the front steps to cool. They pop out of the cookie cutters and off the pan easy as pie. Do not cool in the freezer - your ice cream will taste of FO! LOL

I make mine about 1/4 to 3/8" thick.

Do you all think the ornies smell more or last longer than the cardboard kind?

Thanks

Michele

I have a cardboard freshener hanging in my car and it lasted about 2 months before the smell was gone. Of course the color faded but the scent was strong for a good 60 days.

Can car freshners be made out of the little wood cutout pieces that craft stores carry, or maybe out of little foam shapes? I thought I had seen a post about using the wood cutouts and just adding a couple of layers of FO on both sides and letting it soak in. I did that and couldnt really smell anything. Do they need to cure in a polypro bag or anything like that? Just curious since I wanted to make a couple for myself without ordering supplies and just picking up something from a local craft store and playing around with it. Any suggestions would be great. These would only be for me, so the appearance is not that important.

Thanks!

Dessa,

I tired that Dessa, my DH cut out wooden shapes in the form of my logo. I tried painting it on - couldn't smell it at all. So then I tried putting 6 in a container and soaking them overnight and then set them out to dry. Although they'd run you out of the basement - a week later I couldn't smell them in my car and could barely smell them in the basement. Not sure why but if you figure it out let me know. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I bought some of the special thick paper material for car air freshners. Very strong the first three days, too strong actually. Then OK for the rest of the week. The second weak very hardly noticed it.

Obviously the paper releases the FO too fast. It was the "stinky paper" from candlesandsupplies

Any ideas?

Ok, I bought some of the special thick paper material for car air freshners. Very strong the first three days, too strong actually. Then OK for the rest of the week. The second weak very hardly noticed it.

Obviously the paper releases the FO too fast. It was the "stinky paper" from candlesandsupplies

Any ideas?

This is the type I was referring to when I started the thread - since then I ordered some and have been trying - but am getting results much like yours. At this point they are too strong at first, but still don't last. Hope someone that has success with this type will jump in and give suggestions - I still have customers asking for them, but haven't found a way to do them that I find acceptable for selling...

Any ideas?

I have made a few with the cardboard cutouts, same thing, I think. Here in Florida, so I think heat is our issue with fast fading. I found that certains scents lasted a long time, like a cool citrus basil, whereas vanilla faded pretty fast.

I have made a few with the cardboard cutouts, same thing, I think. Here in Florida, so I think heat is our issue with fast fading. I found that certains scents lasted a long time, like a cool citrus basil, whereas vanilla faded pretty fast.

Um, sorry, but the "heat" in FL is nothing compared to Kansas - so I don't think that's the issue for either of us. Wish we could figure it out though - lots of people ask for them, but probably like you I won't sell them if they aren't top quality! ;0)

I've been wanting to attempt car fresheners myself, but I didn't like the ornies. I love the idea, but so far not a single scent I have made, other than one that included cinnamon, lasted longer than a day. I never had one melt though, so I guess that's a plus and it was up to 115 inside my car one day (it did warp the poor ornie..) but at least nothing melted apart.

The cardboard fresheners look like they are a lot more work for less profit, or that's how it seems to me. Most likely not, but that's how I see it looking at them right now.

Um, sorry, but the "heat" in FL is nothing compared to Kansas - so I don't think that's the issue for either of us. Wish we could figure it out though - lots of people ask for them, but probably like you I won't sell them if they aren't top quality! ;0)

I reckon we get enough heat. Maybe not as hot as Kansas but our Sun is hotter which really counts in a closed up car. I have been able to melt tarts in a closed car here. The heat seems to use up the scent faster.

So for those of you that do make the ornies out of the aroma beads, do you use the recommended ratio per the BCN website (4 TBSP beads to 1 TBSP oil)? I followed the directions, made one this morning and it is already losing the scent. I used a pretty strong scent that throws great in tarts so I am not sure if I just didnt use enough oil, or if the 115+ temperatures here in Hellizona killed it already. I put it in my car this morning. I can smell it but just barely, and there is no way it will come anywhere close to lasting 2 months. It would be lucky to last 2 days. Should I load up more oil or is there a maximum amount that these beads will absorb?

I sell mine in resealable cello bags. Customers tell me they leave them in the bag (but open the bag) and they easily last well over a month; after that they begin to fade.

I buy the blanks from Oak Court Creations. Have also ordered from Starla, but it takes too long to receive the blank air fresheners; I understand they're made to order, but I just don't have the time to wait, most of the times :-(

I've noticed the ones in the auto stores have one side painted or covered with graphics. I did not do that. Is that the key to a slower release of the FO?

The one I made for my vehicle was about the size of a business card. I "might" be able to claim a month. The first week was very strong. Second week I noticed it. Third week I was not sure but I did get a whiff every now and then and the fourth week I think is so faint that it may be more my imagination, but it is kinda there on a hot day when I first open the door.

Should we be looking at any special FO? I assumed that if an FO threw well in a candle it would be good for the cardboard.

I use the 4/1 ratio - some are a bit more, some are less. Peak Wild Cherry I always use less FO - it's a killer!

But I start with a strong OOB scent. I don't care how good it is in tarts, if it isn't strong OOB it won't be strong in an ornie. For a tart you shouldn't judge OOB, but for an ornie you have to.

I also know that I got in my daughter's car who was rockin' Vanilla Mint. I commented on how good her car smelled and she said she couldn't smell it anymore. Have someone else check... :)