Cat candle / Catnip EO

Ok, no joke, a very intelligent friend asked if I could make a candle for his cat.

.... pause for a moment of awe and silence ....

Here's the deal, he knows cat fur and flames don't mix and has no intention of placing the candle anywhere near where the cat can get at it. He wants to know if I mix Catnip EO if that would have enough of a throw to entertain the cat.

Oddly enough, I have some Catnip EO. I put a drop or two on one of Einstein's toys and she barely noticed it. Yeah, there was a reaction, but not like the green ground leaf catnip that you buy in the store.

Aside from the obviously bad idea of making a candle that attracts cats, does anyone know of any reason why Catnip EO could cause any problems to the very intelligent humans who will breathe this?

Edited by EricofAZ

Below is a link from BB's - you might give them a call to discuss the effects of burning the oil.

You might consider making a room mist which could be spritzed toward the cat and not up in the air...but I don't know about human's breathing it...hmm!!

http://www.ag.iastate.edu/aginfo/news/2001releases/catnip.html

Catnip is a perennial herb in the mint family and grows wild in most parts of the United States. It also is cultivated for commercial use. It's primarily known for its stimulating effect on cats, although some people use the leaves in tea, as a meat tenderizer and as a folk treatment for fevers, colds, cramps and migraines. The plant also is used to make light yellow dye.

Hey Ducky, wait for me :tiptoe:

I'd stick with the regular catnip for the cats. The catnip EO in candles doesn't sound like a good idea for any cat and I doubt it would work anyway.

But I do grow catnip and like the minty scent and wonder if it can't give an EO blend a nice herbal appeal... for humanz not catz. Don't you like to experiment with EO blends? It may make a nice blend with other herbal type scent EOs.

I guess what amazes me is that you are even considering this!! :shocked2: Besides the fact that Catnip EO is very expensive, especially at the rate you'd need for a candle, I've never seen a cat not climb or jump to get something they wanted, thus a very DUMB idea for a cat candle!! IMHO very intelligent does not describe your friend.

Save your catnip EO to mix with other EO's for a great bug repellent candle this summer.

Below is a link from BB's - you might give them a call to discuss the effects of burning the oil.

You might consider making a room mist which could be spritzed toward the cat and not up in the air...but I don't know about human's breathing it...hmm!!

http://www.ag.iastate.edu/aginfo/news/2001releases/catnip.html

Catnip is a perennial herb in the mint family and grows wild in most parts of the United States. It also is cultivated for commercial use. It's primarily known for its stimulating effect on cats, although some people use the leaves in tea, as a meat tenderizer and as a folk treatment for fevers, colds, cramps and migraines. The plant also is used to make light yellow dye.

Hey Ducky, wait for me :tiptoe:

Catnip tea (I use the leaves) will kick a colds butt.

So now I learned about the aid of catnip for humans. I had no idea it was good for colds or tea.

Maybe instead of long island ice tea, it would make a good Arizona "get sloshed" tea?

Ok, I haven't been over to the other forum but I feel bad about my rant so I'll go make up with ducky.

• 11 years later...

I make candles (handcrafted small business) I’m also a crazy cat lady, with 3 cats. I am experimenting with catnip EO at the moment. Today I was making catnip candles so the scent was super strong in my house. I also had workmen in making lots of noise and mess. Normally my cats would be terrified of any disruption or change and especially strangers in the house but amazingly all 3 cats were very relaxed and layer back. When my candles had cooled and set I let them have a sniff but they pulled away as it was too strong in the jar. I’m still experimenting but I have noticed that catnip can also have a calming effect on cats so maybe the scent in the air is different to giving them the dried catnip? My instagram, fb, twitter and TikTok is FukitArt if anyone is interested in what I do. I will put something about my catnip candles soon, when I decide if I am going to make them to sell.