ISO Moroccanoil* Oil Treatment Dupe

SouthernGal

Does anyone know if there is a f/o similar to this hair oil? Or even a fragrance description?

http://www.moroccanoil.com/en/our-products.html

My hair dresser had tried this product out in her salon. I fell in love with this fragrance. I think it would gorgeous in tarts or BB. I've searched the threads and internet but I haven't had any luck.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!! TIA

Sorry, I didn't give a description. It's hard for me to describe it. I was hoping maybe someone has used it and knows a similar f/o.

Here is the list of ingredients:

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Butylphenyl Methyl Propional, Argania Spinoza Kernel Oil (Argan Oil), Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Fragrance Supplement, D&C Yellow-11, D&C Red-17, Coumarin, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone.

There is no hint of what the fragrance is.

So does it smell like frankincense? Some exotic spice? Myrrh? Can you compare it to some of your candle scents and give us an idea?

On a related note, I was looking at getting some of that Moroccan oil (my hair is between mid-back and waist length) but was turned off by how low in the ingredients the real argan oil is. I bought the version at Sally Beauty for now, but I may order 100% argan oil from Camden-Grey.

The ingredients in the one from Sally beauty:

Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Yellow 11 (CI 47000), Red 17 (CI 26100)

Edited by Darbla

I didn't get to smell it for very long. To me its warm, spicy, sexy with a hint smooth vanilla at the end. My nose wasn't familiar with the notes. :embarasse I didn't recognize any fruit, flowers or food.

I really need to buy a bottle I guess. So I can sniff it some more. I just hate to buy a 3.4 oz bottle for $35.

Darbla, I bought a small bottle of the one from Sally's too. But it doesn't have the same fragrance. It still smells nice though.

Southern Gal, I'm with you, love the fragrance of Moroccan Oil shampoo and thought the same thing. Would be a great fragrance oil. I can't help with what it smells like either, but it's very distinctive. I got some Argan Oil from Sephora and it doesn't smell anything like the shampoo.

I actually use the shampoo and do have both that and the conditioner. I would be happy to send a sample to someone who is good at detecting fragrance notes. That way, you wouldn't have to spend the money. I might actually be able to get a larger sample from the Salon I use. The lady that does my hair is one of my testers and I have given her quite a bit of stuff. I think she would be willing to fill at least a one ounce bottle for me.

I called a salon near me to go check this out. Thought I might splurge for one bottle and see how it compares to what I got at Sally Beauty. But when she told me $15 for just 25 ml (that's not even an ounce), I said no freaking way! It was $40 for 100 ml (a little over 3 oz), which isn't much better.

Darbla / Scented,

Are you good at being able to detect the different notes in a fragrance? I'll be happy to send either one of you, or both or you, some samples. I know I can get the shampoo, not sure about the actual oil itself. But, I will try.

Wish I could help on what it smells like, just not that good yet. It smells good and it smells fresh doesn't really help. So, are you up for it?

Edited by ProudMarineMom

Read this:

"The composition includes the familiar aroma associated with hand lotion (classic white floral aldehyde) and introduces a mashup of suntan lotion, white amber and milky musk. The combination is luxurious, sensual and addictive, evoking memories of warm sandy beaches and vibrant turquoise waters, (something not lost on anyone paying attention to the colors used in the packaging of Moroccanoil® products).

"

From http://glasspetalsmoke.blogspot.com/2010/08/eau-scent-of-moroccanoil.html

I would be happy to send a sample to someone who is good at detecting fragrance notes.

That is sweet of you.

Actually I wonder if a supplier would be willing to try to dupe it, if they don't carry something like it already.

Edited by SouthernGal
Trying to fix the quotey thingy ;)

I called a salon near me to go check this out. Thought I might splurge for one bottle and see how it compares to what I got at Sally Beauty. But when she told me $15 for just 25 ml (that's not even an ounce), I said no freaking way! It was $40 for 100 ml (a little over 3 oz), which isn't much better.

Lol, My hairdresser didn't bother carrying it. She loved the smell but their wholesale was even very high. She didn't want to have that much invested if it didn't sell. Can't blame her.

I read some more descriptions of the scent, and it still sounds like it could be sandalwood vanilla. One review said "smells like the ideal men's cologne", which sandalwood vanilla is tres sexy on a man. It can be interpreted as tropical, like several reviews have said. Another said "kind of like incense", and sandalwood is a common scent for incense. Another review said it smells like "vanilla extract (not the synthetic vanilla scent)" and another said "very sweet, very musky vanilla". Or maybe it could be one of the Coppertone suntan lotion FOs. I'll have to sniff to say for sure, though.

I also kept reading how it is drying people's hair out after awhile and ruining it. Silicone does that to hair. If we can ID this scent or get a company to duplicate it, I'd say just add some FO to real 100% argan oil which doesn't have much scent of it's own and can be gotten pretty cheaply.

Edited by Darbla

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if it is similar to the "Moroccan Sand" scent. I think I get that one from Wholesale Supplies Plus.

It is a sensual amber, sandalwood & patchouli blend that smells wonderful on a man (I make my husband wear it ). Does that sound close ?

I use the Moroccanoil Oil Treatment and I wouldn't consider it a masculine scent. I smell vanilla and something else (i'm not good at those nuances and notes).... I love what the oil does to my hair though.

You might as well buy John Frieda Frizz Ease at Wal-Mart. This is the ingredients list of MoroccanOil, and argan is way down on the list and cheap silicone is way high in the list:

"Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Cyclomethicone, Butylphenyl Methyl Propional, Argania Spinoza Kernel Oil (Argan Oil), Linseed (Linum Usitatissimum) Extract, Fragrance Supplement, D&C Yellow-11, D&C Red-17, Coumarin, Benzyl Benzoate, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone."

I still haven't made it by that salon to sniff it.

http://glasspetalsmoke.blogspot.com/2010/08/eau-scent-of-moroccanoil.html

I found this article on the scent. Apparently the blogger tried to figure out who designed the fragrancey & was denied. I could find no record of any dupes & it sounds like the company is keeping it pretty secret.

The artical did have a bit of a flavor profile in it:

The scent, however, is a clever provocateur. The composition includes the familiar aroma associated with hand lotion (classic white floral aldehyde) and introduces a mashup of suntan lotion, white amber and milky musk. The combination is luxurious, sensual and addictive, evoking memories of warm sandy beaches and vibrant turquoise waters,

I'd guess coconut, amber and musk would be your bases. You'd probobly want a floral in ther too. Freesia maybe? Lilly?