Need your help--candle going out halfway down

RWV

I had a customer, who is also a friend of mine, tell me her candle was burning fine, but when it was about halfway burned (after numerous previous burns), the wick (zinc) turned an ash color and almost drowned out. Normally, the zinc wicks I use will make a mushroom, but she says the ash color on the end did not make a mushroom. What would cause this to happen when the candle has burned numerous times properly and then suddenly starts drowning out? I've been using from the same batch of wicks and haven't changed the scent or the wax.

Any light shed on this issue is greatly appreciated!

Its possible that the wick is a dud. Happens sometimes but fortunately very infrequently. If this is the case it won't matter what coloring or additives you use or don't use the wick will still fizzle out and snuff itself.

The way you describe it sounds like this is the case. Especially if you have been making all your candles the same way with the same materials it often is the case that something is different or has changed in one or more ingredients that you use. Oftentimes its the wax, occasionally you get a dud wick or wicks in your package that won't burn.

You could test some of the wicks out from the same bag to see if you have the same problem with them. But its also possible that only a few in the bag are duds.

I didn't use pigments and I use a blend of J-50 and Ecosoya CB135 at a 70/30 ratio.

What's most frustrating is I don't know if other candles I sold did this and I may never know until it's too late and I've lost a customer.

I thought it might be the wick, too, and I'm hoping that's it--hopefully it was just a dud. I use wicks from Wick-it and Candlewic and haven't had any problems.

Well, if you've used this wax and wick combo successfully before without any problems I would first find out how short she cut the wick. Wax, when it's liquid takes up a little more volume then when it's a solid. Clip too short and it will go out on a re-light when the solid wax starts melting.

If it wasn't cut too short, I'd be looking at the FO. Vanilla and cinnamons (even if it's just a part of the FO) are notorious wicker-uppers. Might have to bump up to a 62-52-18 or consider double wicking if it's the FO.

Do you have another one on hand to test?

Well, if you've used this wax and wick combo successfully before without any problems I would first find out how short she cut the wick. Wax, when it's liquid takes up a little more volume then when it's a solid. Clip too short and it will go out on a re-light when the solid wax starts melting.

If it wasn't cut too short, I'd be looking at the FO. Vanilla and cinnamons (even if it's just a part of the FO) are notorious wicker-uppers. Might have to bump up to a 62-52-18 or consider double wicking if it's the FO.

Do you have another one on hand to test?

Yes, I do have one on hand and plan to start test-burning it this week. I plan to burn at least 3-4 hours daily to see what happens. BTW, the scent was a combination of vanilla, coffee, and hazelnut.

What is a 62-52-18? Is that a wick or what? And if so what brand of wick is that? Thank you, Elizabeth

There isn't a brand as such; and it is a wick. This link may help explain the sizes and what they are used for: http://www.peakcandle.com/category/Wicks/Zinc-Core-Wicks.aspx

"Bumping up" just means going to the next larger size. HTH

I am having the exact same problem you are having. These are scents I have been using for 2 years and never a problem until now. I haven't changed anything, supplies or method.

It is very scary and frustrating when you don't know if someone has gotten one of these candles and just doesn't want to say anything and then never buy from you again.

I don't know about all of you, but I need all the customers I can get.

I use Eco 8 wicks. I am wondering if they have put out a bad batch. And if so, do you buy from another supplier and hope they are different. Do they all come from a company called "Eco." How does that work.